Checking in daily to maintain focus #34

When the kids were still home, there were 13 guitars in the house! Three out of four can play. My oldest son fascinates me with his gift of playing by ear. He will first just sit and listen to a song. Then heā€™ll play along with the song. After that, heā€™s got it down and can just play it on his own. He did NOT get that from me! I can listen to him play guitar for hours. He plays the drums and harmonica, too. Iā€™ve always wanted to learn and just show up at his house one day, take a guitar off the wall, and have a jam session. He would freak! :joy:

10 Likes

Super grateful to reach this milestone, thanks to HP, the AA programme and working with a bunch of really great recovering members. This online group also helps me so much especially when Iā€™m alone and stuck in my thoughts.

A luta continua!

24 Likes

Today is my first day here. Iā€™m 51 days into my millionth try at sobriety. This is the furthest Iā€™ve gotten so thatā€™s positive. Anyway, itā€™s nice meeting you all.

22 Likes

Day 6 for me :slightly_smiling_face:

Sweet, Iā€™m just starting to learn guitar atm too @Callie99, youā€™ll be surprised what interest and even just occasional time can do as I feel my fingers slowly improving already hahaā€¦ Met some awesome travelling players, and nice instrument to play anywhere! :v:

14 Likes

13 guitars?! :heart_eyes:I have been wanting to learn for so long. Iā€™ve been singing for as long as I can remember but never really learned an instrument. I told myself I didnā€™t have enough time to learn and now I have plenty :slight_smile: I doubt Iā€™ll pick it up as fast as your son. People who are musically gifted like that are so amazing. I have a friend who taught himself how to play piano during Covid. Iā€™m just in awe of him. A musical home sounds like a happy home. :blush: Iā€™m sure he would have so much fun having a jam sesh with you! That would be such an fun surprise :yellow_heart:

7 Likes

Welcome Terri.
Advice for new comers and constant relapsers

This is a great thread to be accountable, get and give support.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

13 Likes

Iā€™m one of those ā€˜playing by soundā€™ types with the violin. :upside_down_face: Do you ever play?

3 Likes

Ahhh thatā€™s so cool Sven! Where did you find your guitar? Iā€™m trying to avoid getting mine on Amazon. They get enough business! Do you play any other instruments?

Ps congrats on day 6 :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Congratulations on your one month of sobriety JP.
ODAAT.

3 Likes

Ours was, and still is, a musical home. Iā€™m excited for you to get a guitar and learn to play. Itā€™s gonna be fun! :hugs:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll keep you updated! :yellow_heart: hopefully my small hands are not a disadvantage :joy:

2 Likes

To be honest, Iā€™ve never really tried. I would pick up one of the kidsā€™ guitars and almost immediately put it down, just knowing I could never learn it. Now I know thatā€™s silly. :upside_down_face: Caroline is inspiring me to get over myself. :wink:

3 Likes

Great catch buddy.
More impressive is all those ODAAT.
Keep leading the way.
At 60+ I still donā€™t know why itā€™s so hard for me to listen to my body and rest it when it hurts. But Iā€™m learning to take it easy. But itā€™s so hard sometimes.
I hope it feels better soon. Iā€™m doing the opposite now. My back is finally feeling better and Iā€™m afraid to get back to the gym. Iā€™m going to stick with my power walks for awhile and stretching. Seems to be working.

14 Likes

Checking in on day 193.
I did something I was properly scared of today: went the the GP and got a referral for psychotherapy today, now I can apply for my insurance to pay for it! Pheeeew. I did it. Opening up to my friends war hard, I was really scared of talking to the therapist, but talking to a fellow medical person ā€¦ couldnā€™t imagine it. I always fear that people would judge me, even shame me, act rude ā€¦ but the physician was really nice, understanding and only wanted to help me. When will I start to wrap my mind around the fact that itā€™s ok to ask for help and that people can be accepting of me even though Iā€™m a sad, depressed, alcoholic? :sweat_smile: Itā€™s a journey and Iā€™m glad I ventured out in the world and started to talk about my problems.

@Rockstar24777 Rob thatā€™s absolutely fantastic! How far you have come and how many of us you helped along the way, youā€™re an inspiration! Congratulations :partying_face:

20 Likes

Thanks Callie! :pray:

Just the violin, never learned notes tho unfortunatelyā€¦ But it can definately be nice and fun sometimes :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Iā€™m walkin in a park in Toronto reading your postā€¦I have zero advice, everyone walks at their own paceā€¦but youā€™re not walkin alone.

Be well,

7 Likes

Checking in Day 82ā€¦ great news this morning I met with a lady and now I have a sponsor in NA!

I am so happy it can be hard to ask someone but I knew I needed to get over myself and did it.

So far I have to phone every day
Send 3 gratitudes every morning
Read Basic Text up to Step 1
Start Questions from NA step-working guide Step 1.

So blessed, I am so blessed.

18 Likes

Good on you @Penguin, huge step buddy!! I was in your shoes for a psychologist referral not too long agoā€¦

My friends still deserve better though, odaat thoughā€¦ :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Welcome back, I agree itā€™s damn hard to get back after a relapse. When they say our disease is progressive they mean it. Glad youā€™re here and that youā€™re trying again. Donā€™t give up, ever.
:orange_heart:

3 Likes

aka not chaotic.

Congrats on your days and what a gift to yourself, amazing!!!
:orange_heart::seedling:

5 Likes