Checking in daily to maintain focus #43

Do your damnedest Mike. Wishing you all success friend.

3 Likes

I simply cannot believe that I will have 2 years sober this monthā€¦just unbelievable and my quality of life has changed so much. No more planning for full days of down time because I know Iā€™ll be hungoverā€¦no more not planning exciting and fun activities (of which Iā€™ve been doing much more lately!) just because my weekend plans consist of finding something to drink. Itā€™s been great. To those that are having a tough time in the first few daysā€¦it does get better! Do not look at this like you are depriving yourself of your substance, get it through your mindā€¦you are liberating yourself from an addiction that is controlling you! Those cravings are just the addiction playing mind game with you! Fight through, you got this! Here is toany more years living this way! Also, day 48 nicotine free ā€¦so thatā€™s going well too!

19 Likes

Wishing you the absolute best, Mike. You are doing an amazing thing. See you soon.

2 Likes

Yay!!! Congratulations on 15 months! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Good morning all. Checking in on day 290. Amazing how you can wake up in such a pleasant mood. Have a great day, got to sleep and sleep amazing and wake up and have a negative attitude. I take medication so I cannot dream or remember dreams so wonder if they are still mentally affecting me. Today has not been good. My Great Dane ruined another window sill and 140 dollar dog bed when I was getting the mail and stopped by a neighbor for no more than 6-7 minutes. Fluff and plastic everywhere and praying she didnā€™t eat to much. Hope everyone has a great day! I will be attempting to meditate and turn this morning around!! Stay safe and take care!

14 Likes

@anon53116147 you got this man. Keep that open mind. If you want to replace the word god with whatever you want then go for it, all that matter is it works for you!! Best of luck and thoughts will be with you, a lot of them looking at the last few minutes man!

2 Likes

Good luck Mike!!! Proud of you! Canā€™t wait to hear about ur experiences once ur done!

That sounds like an awful way to start ur day :frowning: i really hope that ur day improves!

1 Like

Thanks everyone im walking in now, just finished my covid test. Iā€™m shaking and nervous but Iā€™m out phones going with my mom much love

26 Likes

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: you got this Mike!!

1 Like

Hey guys! Day 4 checking in!

Thanks very much, I hope everyone has a fabulous week.

9 Likes

What great news Mike. Iā€™m so glad that youā€™re taking such a positive and proactive step in your recovery. Sending you lots of love and strength. Go take your life back!:heart:

2 Likes

It has to right?! If not Iā€™ve been through worse hahaha.

1 Like

Congratulations for 15 months of soberness!

Why give up? Donā€™t mean to be a trouble maker - ok maybe I do - but it seems like that wouldnā€™t help anything (including, it wouldnā€™t make anything easier; the things that suck would still suck, itā€™s just then there would be an additional problem: giving up).

What does that mean? Specifically. ā€œget betterā€. What exactly does that mean?

Itā€™s like if I say ā€œI want to strengthen my cooking skillsā€. That can mean a lot of things. Maybe I mean I want to stop burning the French toast I make for my family. Maybe I mean I want to learn to cook recipes that are both nutritious and flavourful. Both those things are strengthening cooking skills, but they look very different; the only way I can know if Iā€™ve succeeded - gotten better - is if I know how it will & will not look.

What does ā€œget betterā€ mean for you here?

4 Likes

8 years ago I was in a very, very terrible place in my life. I couldnā€™t even imagine my life without injury, alcohol and my eating disorder. I had been destroying myself for 33 years and the mere thought of any other type of life was daunting. I was so depressed, and dealing with suicidal ideation on the daily. My anxiety was debilitating and the pain attacks I experienced were stopping me from doing anything at all outside my house. I had a little girl whose behavior was very difficult to deal with and a marriage that was blowing up infront if me. I was so full if shame and remorse I could not look at myself in the mirror. I also seriously considered throwing my hands up and screaming a big FUCK YOU to the universe and just giving up because the pain was too much and I didnā€™t think I had the strength to do it.

I didnā€™t say fuck you that day, nor the next, and if I am being 100% honest I think it was because I was too beaten to do anything but drag my ass forward. Everyday I told myself I couldnā€™t do it but everyday I was doing it. Suddenly when I was in therapy a few months ago I looked at my old therapy binder and I was shocked. I had attained my goals from 5 years ago.

Recovery is a long very difficult road and sometimes it feels like we are not going anywhere. Those are usually the days where the most growth inside us is happening though. Donā€™t give up on yourself, just stick around and keep doing what you have been doing.

Whatā€™s one positive thing for today?

8 Likes

Love you!!!

1 Like

Mid morning here and feeling constructive. Started my day with a short run and those endorphins helped launch my morning. Got some important financial matters sorted at the bank. Two key items checked off.

Last night my wife was pissed that I was late getting to bed because I was replying to some stuff and writing things here on TS. (It wasnā€™t about TS specifically, just that I was like 45 minutes later than expected getting to bed. I had no awareness of the time passing - ADHD time-blindness - and I understand how she feels. It was a hard conversation but helpful. It is hard to be married to someone with ADHD. There are unique strengths to ADHD, but there are also unique strains.)

The emotions of living with ADHD are intense. Itā€™s like 0-100 in a moment, like a bolt of lightning. Iā€™m often jarred by feelings of frustration or by discouragement or ____ [insert emotion here] and itā€™s tough to keep my balance and moderate myself to work with my loved ones (my wife, my family).

I am nervous about that. I am nervous. Itā€™s a process; itā€™s a journey; I am nervous and I am moving forward.

Thank you all for your responses @Faugxh, @Staringupfromthewell, @Misokatsu, youā€™re perceptive and wise, each of you shedding light on a part of my experience, helping me to see it more fully. I appreciate it very much :innocent:

9 Likes

Day 43 sober. Iā€™ve been through a breakup and have been dealing with an extremely sick parent during that time. The urge to drink has been present in the back of my head, but Iā€™ve been staying strong throughout.

14 Likes

Good news yesterday: left my phone downstairs, slept very well, woke up to my alarm clock radio. It was great.

New practice: gonna stop using my phone after 9 pm. Going to set the Sleep function on my iPhone to shut it off then. Will keep everyone posted.

11 Likes