Checking in daily to maintain focus #48

Congratulations to 2 full sober months! :tada: :confetti_ball: :tada:

Maybe, you should try online meetings if you can’t make it to other meetings in that moment of time?

1 Like

IMO I feel that I’d need to connect with my sponsor and be able to trust that person. Somewhat similar to a psychiatrist. That’s why I am a little apprehensive about choosing one in a hurry.

2 Likes

I’m glad that your hip is getting better! :walking_woman:t2:

Thanks for the nice picture. I really like fog in the morning. Especially in forest dales.

2 Likes

I think that its a great suggestion to get a sponsor. Its never too soon to surround yourself with like mined people who have been working a solid program of recovery. If you feel its too soon because youre unsure of who you might ask, maybe the group has a temporary sponsor list that you could call from. Then at least you would have a goto and if you were willing could start working a set of steps.

Was it ever too soon to pick up a bottle? It wasnt for me, so I got a sponsor right away.

3 Likes

I’m proud of you. You got this far and have also found some distraction. Good job!

1 Like

One of favourite threads: Conglomerated List of "Things that can F*ck right off*

2 Likes

Can i ask what this means? So for example fruit has natural sugar. Do you avoid fruit? Or are u more talking about any sugary products like any sort of cookie or icecream or foods like that?

1 Like

Oh!! Okay :slight_smile: i have seen that thread but havent really posted much on that! Ill have to check it out

1 Like

Yes sorry, no added sugar. But I also have to becareful with high doses of natural sugar. For example, it isnt unheard of for me to be jonesing for sugar and to stand in the middle of my kitchen squeezing the honey pot into my mouth. I found that had been triggered from me eating too many dates which are super sugary. I stay away from bananas, eat mostly apples and oranges… berries. I do eat a lara bar before yoga which has dates in it but I dont buy dates anymore as a rule because i will eat the whole bucket. I literally jones for sugar like i jones for dope, its insane. However, that obsession was lifted once I stopped putting it into my body… just like drugs.

5 Likes

I want snow, too. I want it now and I want it big time.

3 Likes

Very interesting! How do u feel about sweeteners? So not necessarily sugar but has a sugar like taste? I did find that when i was on keto for that 1 month or so, i rarely craved sugar bcuz i wasnt eating anything that could potentially be sugar or spike my sugar levels… but i was consuming sweetner with my coffee for example. I wonder if this is the route i need to go honestly.

3 Likes

U love the snow?! I dont love huge snow falls where i can get to places but i actuallt find the cold very invigorating. Its also soo pretty!! When are u do for some snow?

2 Likes

I don’t think that there will be any snow in Northern Germany this year. Due to climate change, we get seldom snow.

1 Like

You do not have to choose a sponsor right out of the gate. Some people wait a year or six months to start step work with a sponsor. What you do need to do right out of the gate is get phone numbers from some of the AA folk and attend meetings. Just focus on not drinking for today. Some members of AA never get a sponsor. Do what you need to do to stay sober. You will know when you are ready.

4 Likes

One of the things I most appreciate about this site is how everyone is looking to use the entire toolkit to stay sober. I can share what works for me, but it might or might not benefit you.

Too many people I have met outside this site insist that whatever way they got sober is the only way. A few seem to forget the objective is to recover, not to “win” at AA.

11 Likes

Day 58 and I had to have myself a little cathartic scream cry to some very 2000’s emo music today. I was just literally at a breaking point with this whole rv thing. I’m a very glass half full Kinda person but we’ve just gotten hosed at every turn and I couldn’t take it for one more second. There’s literally nothing we can do to about it but jee moving forward and those situations do NOT sit well with me. I have a REALLY hard time letting go of things that are unfair. But I’ve vented and now I feel a little calmer.

11 Likes

Checking in on day 37 alcohol free. I think I’m coming down with a cold and also had a run in with my husband over something that was important to me but obviously not to him. Hoping the weekend improves :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Day 26 and I am up early to go over to my friends house to help her renovate her little house ready to get rented out before her baby arrives in 8 weeks. She can not do much because of heart problems and the pregnancy advancing so I am helping her hubby and family do some work today. I really enjoy doing projects like that so I am excited to be going. And what is even better is that i am doing it at 630am on a sunday with no hangover! Blessed day everyone :pray:

13 Likes

Hey everybody hope your all feeling good today.
Ive just been informed im going to a christening tomorrow. I really do not want to go. So far the best plan we have come up with is for me to drive us there and back and just have a soft drink or a tea or coffee. I will know literally everyone there and dont want it to be all about me and why im not drinking which i have a feeling it will.
I have looked for an online S.M.A.R.T meeting tonight but there are none in the UK but I did find one in Boston MA that starts at 9pm my time so im looking forward to that and maybe get a bit of advice about not drinking at the christening. I can feel it in my stomach now that I dont want to drink. My mind is made up that I will not drink. I am committed to this and is that.
I will be taking all you lovely people with me in my pocket and if i need to I will be checking in. I will do anything and everything not to drink tomorrow.
Ive done really well this weekend and want to build on that otherwise it will seem as if its been for nothing.
Any tips that could help me anyone? What worked for you at functions? :full_moon_with_face:

13 Likes

You won’t be drinking. And that’s nobody’s fricking business but your own. If anybody wants to know why, I’d say because I don’t feel like it today. Your decision. End of. Nobody is there because of you and nobody is there because of you drinking or not. It might feel that way for you but I promise you it is not. You’re on the wheel. Nobody else is. It’s just a trick your addicted self is telling you. Lies.

You got us with you. Use us when needed. If you doubt yourself come here. We will help. There will be somebody here.

Did you think about what you will do when somebody tries to push a drink on you? How you’ll refuse? Did you think about what you will drink instead of alcohol? What you will do when you start thinking maybe one won’t be that bad? is there anybody there you trust to help you? Can you approach them beforehand? If not, is there anybody you can call? Or text?

Come prepared. Talk about it in the smart meeting you’re about to attend. People will have some more tips for you. Know you CAN do this but it will take a bit of work. Keep us posted Col. Let’s do this.

10 Likes