Checking in daily to maintain focus #50

Sending you lots of hugs and love! I know it’s hard to sleep in the hospital, but hopefully y’all can get a few hours at least. I’m glad they have brought him up to a room to give him the care he needs. And you couldn’t have known he would get sick. I’m sure he was excited to get back to school after the long break, and you were both looking forward to getting back to normal. I’m so sorry he’s sick and y’all are postponing your celebrations. But when he is better and comes home it’ll be they much sweeter to celebrate together then. :heart::two_hearts:

3 Likes

I love u lady! :heartbeat: youre absolutely right. It will be soo nice to see his happy, healthy self opening up presents later on. He just needs to get thru this. I will attempt to sleep when i can :slight_smile: hugs my friend. Hope ur doing well

3 Likes

Hey congratulations on 1 month!!! Huge milestone :smiley:

4 Likes

Day 527

Merry Christmas sober family!
Made it through w/O indulging yay
Never again as Menno says :christmas_tree::relaxed:

19 Likes

You mean everything to us. Turn that frown upside down :hugs:you’re not alone. And remember feelings are just feelings you’re actions are everything. The fact you have not self harmed is amazing congratulations :tada: I’m sure there are lurkers here that see you not giving in and that gives them hope you make a difference I hope you know that.

4 Likes

Hey Karen, you can absolutely do this and that you’ve not drunk so far even tho you feel shitty is proof of that. I’m proud of you. Even if it feels as it does now, you’re doing it sober.
You don’t need it. It doesn’t help and you need to stop making yourself believe it does. You know it’s lies. Don’t go back home with the mindset that you’ll go back to the bottle. You can fight this out. It’s up to you and you alone. You have that choice.

It would be good to de-tangle the current mass of anxiety inducing unpleasantness ahead of you. I think I read of a non-judgemental sister somewhere. Can you grab that sister and tell her to just shut up and listen to you and be there for you for 30min while you tell her how hard it is and cry it out? Get a few hugs? Get some human connection? That is THE antidote to depression and that feeling that you’re all alone forever with your shit and nothing will ever change.
You are with family and they care or they would not have intived you up. I know family can be horribly difficult, I’ve posted about my own often enough, but it seems they as least want you there and care. So you can engineer a situation where you actually get to feel some of their love for you. I think that would be good. You seem incredibly lonely to me. But loneliness is never a one sided thing. Is has the aspects of something being given and also of something being received and being able to fall into soft soil so it can leave a mark. So to speak.

Next step. You are on a sobriety forum. Have you looked around at the myriads of other threads and what ppl do on here to get and stay sober? Which of these things are you doing? Cos just not drinking does not work, especially not if you got mental health issues. I’m one of the lucky ones with a very demanding and kamikazi brain aswell so you can take my word for it. I don’t know if you seen this: Resources for our recovery
Look through, pick three things, make one of them AA zoom meetings and start today.
I also advise for one to be some form of exercise, can be any thing you want/don’t hate, because being in your body creates mindfulness and relaxation that helps with depression too. That’s why a lot of ppl exercise in in the first place. Me too.
Stick with your things. If you hate them, mix and match. But give the meetings a fair chance. Couple of months. Transfer to f2f at some point since you are so alone. It’ll help. Keep us updated on your progress. Thats one thing you already are doing that is very beneficial, staying connected here, so that’s plus.

You can do this Karen, there is no reason you cannot if I could and I was just as miserable as you, and so many others could say the same. but you gotta kick into gear and find the things that you need to do to get and stay sober. We all have to do that. It does not just happen. For anyone. You can. You can. You can.
We’re here for you supporting you. Especially us other folks with miserable hurting brains. :slight_smile:

Edit I hear there’ll be a TS zoom today so imma put that link to the relevant thread here TS zooms! Welcome! - #187 by Mephistopheles.

11 Likes

Have as good a day as you can all friends. Sober and clean. Love from my place.

@Juli1 Glad you’re back friend. We’re in this together. One day at a time.

23 Likes

271 days
Hey guys. I’m struggling a bit at the moment. I’m still sober, I’ve made it through Christmas. It just sucks. My routine is all out of whack since the new job, I’ve been eating poorly, my brain won’t quit freaking out about it. Everyone is bloody drinking, everywhere. All over socials is just booze and parties and I just feel so crappy and left out and sorry for myself.
I had a nice Christmas, but this silly season has been tough and I’m just feeling really down atm.
Anyway, thanks for listening. Hopefully I can get my self care and routine back, and I feel better soon. Just gotta stay sober. Drinking isn’t gonna fix anything.

20 Likes

Keep moving on!! All those that push downing poison as a society normal are a little lost imo. I just think about all the damage and how short outside of the hour of being numb. Fill what they don’t show about the complete mind fuck, shitty sleep, hangovers, dehydration… it’s a long list of hell😂 I’m fresh into this so all the bad is still very fresh for me.

4 Likes

My new job is actually benefiting my self care routines and healing modalities but being on the wrong side of that is tough and this is a first for me. Hope you can regain yourself that way soon :pray:t3:

6 Likes

I miss routines too. Holidays Jack those all up. I honestly don’t know what day it is. It will pass, though. Glad you checked in.

3 Likes

Best pep talk ever. Well done. Grateful for you.

5 Likes

I am so sorry that you are in the hospital with your son. Your gratitude for the care you are receiving is right on. I admire your attitude of gratitude. Hope you can get home soon and get that shower!

4 Likes

Day 927 clean and sober. What a shit show of a holiday in my head this weekend… fuck it was crazy in there. Glad I was working even though I really just wanted to sleep through it all. I’m off on holiday paying and taking my single, depressed and lonely self to the mountains and heal. Have an amazing day everyone, love you guys :sunglasses::metal:t2:

18 Likes

I totally get what ur saying. I love routine and when it gets sidetracked, i feel it. Im really proud of u tho for getting thru the holidays sober.
I actually have 3 routines for different situations. Do you think have a couple plans (routines) would help? I guess it sounds extreme but when i dont have a routine or some direction for my day, it effects my mental health. So For example i have an eating, exercise, recovery routine for when my sons in school, and one for when he isnt, and then one routine for when i work on weekends. I make sure to incorporate the things that matter into each routine. The only thing that changes is basically the time i do my activites. Bcuz all 3 scenerios change my day very drastically. Maybe there can be one routine for you on the days u work ur job, and one routine for when u have days off? Or whatever u like :slight_smile: just a thought. I am proud of you tho for staying sober. Hope ur day improves now that the holidays are over

5 Likes

I really hope u find some peace and serenity in the mountains my friend. Im sorry to hear that the holidays were hard. Im glad they are over for you and that you can do ur usual things like hiking in nature to cheer u up. Hugs Rob!

5 Likes

Awe thank you! I really have to try hard on challenging my thoughts when it comes certain events that are just plain hard. I need to find the gratitude bcuz even in the worst situations, there is ALWAYS something to be grateful for

3 Likes

Hey here’s a hug.
I’ll tell you what I did yesterday and the day before … I called my mum in tears, she panicked and asked why whats wrong and I cried even more and like a baby and told her

"don’t panick mum, everything is okay I’m just crying because I can’t drink anymore, I’m crying because I want to so much "

I sounded silly but it wasn’t silly it’s how i really deeply felt deep in my bones.

It isn’t silly how your feeling for me it hurt I was really hurting that I wanted a drink so bad and i couldn’t… or that I could of but I didn’t want to lose everything Iv become and knowing I’m still not totally there with making all the changes I need but I was very close to doing it. I told everyone i was going to do it in my family I really wanted to I cried like a spoilt baby.

Your feelings are not silly they are valid and it’s really difficult I understand.
Your doing so well, were all in this together, today when I get there urges I will think off you and everyone here and reminds me self we are like a family, a family of soldiers fighting for eachother life’s and or own but we are together and we are not alone.

:people_hugging::people_hugging::heart:

8 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful reply. It helps so much to have the support of people here. While I do have one sister I’m closer to, I can’t even imagine crying in front of her. That sounds horribly awkward to me. As a family we don’t talk about emotions and rarely even hug. It is incredibly lonely. I’ve never felt able to cry in front of others for a mess of reasons.

I know I should check out a meeting. And exercise. I do struggle to take care of myself when the depression gets bad. I don’t usually comment, but I do spend a lot of time reading various threads here. It’s about the only place I can go for support other than therapy. I’m glad I have therapy when I get back home.

Thanks again for the response and support.

6 Likes

Thank you so much. The holidays are definitely a rough one for me but I have managed to stay sober!!! Today is my 19th day. I hope you doing well!! :heart::heart::heart:

17 Likes