Checking in daily to maintain focus #60

You are relatively new to this community, though. I suggest you spend time focused on your own sobriety. It helps build trust in a community when you have been here and engaged and shared of your own struggles with addiction, not just trying to help others. I will be very honest that it brings red flags to the community when a newcomer is here to help others without talking at all about their own addiction issues. We are here for peer support. The understanding is that we all have a basis in recognizing and learning to manage and battle addiction. When you come here and say you are a counselor you (maybe unknowingly) create some power dynamics where you know more than others. That’s not what this platform is about. I hope you will take what I am saying and read it with an open mind. I believe this is getting at what you described discussing with your therapist. I could be wrong. But I hope you will read and take it in with an open mind.

14 Likes

Nighty night :zzz:

I lived in Exeter for a bit and was working at a restaurant during Halloween - was shocked that no one celebrated Halloween in this area. I had to do a little costume parade for the customers - just brought back some good memories. The kids that came in had a blast.

Ok - enough memory lane stuff - sweet dreams my friend

3 Likes

Haha brilliant! You will be pleased to know that England has finally caught on and Halloween is very popular. Thanks friend, night

3 Likes

Checking in from the ranch where I have internet. I moved into my new house Friday but don’t have internet yet, and had no heat (!) until yesterday. Thank goodness for a beautiful fireplace, wood from friends, and a space heater. It’s fixed now fortunately. Now just waiting on internet and the rest of my furniture to be delivered. I’ve met two lovely neighbors and their dogs. It’s a sweet little house and I’m very relieved to finally be in it (after I get done babysitting the ranch tomorrow, that is). I’m doing well and start the TLC sober 90 course tomorrow. Just wanted to check in before I go off-line again lol.

15 Likes

This is so unbelievably unnecessary and not what this forum is all about.

Anyone can talk to anyone; it’s not a place for you to adopt a leadership role and buddy people up. If you want to direct people to someone, do it based on their addictions and experience, not their gender. Or alternatively, let the conversations just happen…

If that’s alright with you that is?

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

The purpose of this group is peer support. We’re equals here. Addicts amongst each other. We might have therapists and counselors to help us individually but here we are amongst ourselves. We take care of each other and ourselves. That’s the hole point. So a very professional therapist is no expert in what we are doing here. By definition and default.

12 Likes

It’s not “our understanding of it” was offensive… it was just offensive.

1 Like

The best answer here is to either not respond at all and wait for someone else to do so (really, it doesn’t usually take long at all) or to send a message to the moderators if there is a really major concern, especially if someone is using actively. We are a peer support based community. And sometimes the responses take a moment based on where people are in the world. Don’t be afraid to take a step back and not get involved in everything that happens. There’s certain to be someone to be there.

12 Likes

From my point of view (female, been on the forum since 2017), I think it works best if people read someone’s post and reply themselves if they want to offer support…versus someone suggest they offer support.

For myself, sometimes life is very busy or I am not emotionally available to offer support to people on the forum. Other times, I am more available and open. Either way, I much prefer to offer support myself when a post speaks to me or resonates in some way.

19 Likes

@JazzyS Happy All Saints Day!!! And enjoy your favorite day of Halloween. You deserve good time dear friend

4 Likes

Go to your Profile…Select the gear…scroll to the right and select Interface…scroll down to hide presence and profile.

4 Likes

Oh thank you so much Thomas :people_hugging:
So great to see you checking in on 12 days. Much love my dear friend :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

day 608 of no self harm

having a bad time today. one of my best friends took his own life 3 years ago, it happened on the 29th but I didn’t actually find out until Halloween because we were supposed to meet up that day. I’ll never forget how I felt when I found out. i know it wasn’t my fault but I think I’ll always feel some guilt. just want to punish myself

14 Likes

No need to punush yourself. I don’t think your friend wants to add any more pain

I hope you feel better asap

5 Likes

Evening of day
1 no form of Marijuana
174 no alcohol
105 no vapes or ciggs

Slow night but its reastful
No need to be under the influence

13 Likes

Just cause …

I’m no better than anyone else here but I’m also never less than anyone either. I strive for progress over perfection not only in being AF but in my personal everyday life. The opposite of addiction is connection which in my lowly opinion (lol) is what sites like this are all about … a safe place to explore & find ourselves with others sans our addiction(s).

I’m not here much anymore but when I do check in I like to leave a little hope, strength, and positivity as time permits as well as some advice reaped from my own experience for those still struggling. Nothing more, nothing less. Hopefully it helps someone.

I hope that in spite of the realities of life that you look ahead & recognize the rainbows that appear also in your life. We all have them … it’s up to us whether we choose to see & appreciate them. Best Wishes to everyone always.

18 Likes

Day 1865

Halloween was always a day I would over indulge. This is my 5th sober Halloween and the first time in a looong time I had the urge, or even a craving, to smoke. It was weird, popped up out of nowhere, but then went away pretty quick too.

Anyhow, got the garage set up to pass out candy. The kiddos loved it!

29 Likes

Went trick or treating with my daughter, her friend, and my ex. It was cold but fun. One house asked us if we wanted a drink and my ex grabbed a can before realizing it was a spiked cider. He doesn’t drink anymore and all I thought was ‘gross’. It made it back to my house and he set it on the stairs in the entranceway. It will be gone in the morning.

My body’s pretty beat from walking so much in the cold. My toes are still a little numb! Gonna get to bed when I finish up this movie. And maybe a couple more candies :stuck_out_tongue:

22 Likes

Day 43:

Pretty good day, slept a little better last night. Productive day at work and managed the stress pretty well. Got off work around 3:00 to go to my daughter’s fisrt high school state playoff volleyball game. She killed it and they won, she was ecstatic! That is what makes life worthwhile, watching her thrive and have joy, me being sober and able to be apart of all of it!

Going to try and get some sleep, have to go to work at 6am tomorrow morning and then going to the Utah Jazz basketball game tomorrow night with a friend.

Should be another great sober day.

Happy Halloween and goodnight everyone!

22 Likes