Daily Gratitude List. Gratitude The Air Of Recovery

I can imagine this so well.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

@TigerMatriarch i feel the courtship comment so hard. Me and my husband started this journey together as dry january but we like our new rhythm and communication better

10 Likes

Iā€™m grateful for the random kindness of strangers, sobriety, my kitty, and the half package of JimJams that I just snarffed down. :laughing:

So the story is this. I went out to Ikea to look at some possibilities I could use in my home organization. I didnā€™t expect to be there more than an hour. At the end of looking around, I found a floor model of something (already put together) I could use in the clearence section, so I bought it and took it out to my car.

Wellā€¦ It just barely didnā€™t fit.

In another life I might have had a melt down somewhere along the way, but I calmly tried a bunch of things, then finally sat on the thing looking at my car and trying to think of a new stragagy. A kind stranger came up to me at that point and said his wife had suggested he come help me.

He wasnā€™t able to get it to fit either, but he did have a bungie cord that he was willing to give me to strap the thing in my trunk. After that it was just a matter of trying to figure out how to keep my trunk closed on the way back, since it wouldnā€™t close on its own. I thanked him for his help and eventually bought some tarp rope to keep the trunk shut.

I was cold, tired, hungry, and it was well past the time that I was supposed to have taken my medication (which I didnā€™t pack because I didnā€™t expect to spend 2 hours trying to get something homeā€“part of which time included the drive because I couldnā€™t use the freeway and I drove with my hazards on); however, I kept my cool externally and internally the whole time.

My first thought when I walked into my kitchen was ā€œgod, I could really use a drinkā€¦ā€, and in another life I would have done just that, but this was an old thought and nothing I actually felt the urge to act on. Iā€™ve been avoiding sugar this past week, but I decided the four JimJams in the cupboard were about to be my dinner and I have zero regrets because cookies were exactly what I needed.

I now sit here with my old lady kitty telling you about this because while the experience was definitely exhausting and not something I would like to repeat, I was blessed to receive the kindness of strangers and I got an opportunity to see just how far Iā€™ve come, and thatā€™s worth sharing.

21 Likes

Thanks Alison.
Congrats on you 71 days. Iā€™m glad your here.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

That is so amazing. Your mom made her so full of life :heart:

4 Likes

Today I am grateful for:

• my higher power, which gives me goals to strive for, and guidance along the way
  • Talking Sober, which gives me a community that understands me, and
  • the chance to wake up today and make a difference

Wishing everyone a constructive day :innocent: Take care folks!

17 Likes

Itā€™s perfect @Its_me_Stella! What a beautiful gift for a beautiful person. Your mom is very loving and talented. Iā€™m glad sheā€™s in your life daily. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Good day to you all.

I am grateful for having a good day, although I havenā€™t much at hand I am not bored.

I am grateful to be one of 10% of the world population that is not drinking alcohol.

I am grateful for not taking the poison called alcohol.

I am grateful to see clear that this poison is making me mentally and physically weak.

I am grateful I am not living the nightmare called alcohol anymore.

I am grateful I have learnt coping skills to deal with cravings.

I am grateful to use common sense and intelligence to fight those cravings.

I am grateful not confusing my self anymore with fantasizing about drinking.

I am grateful that my Self image significantly changed the last couple of months.

I am grateful this Self image changed in a positive way.

I am grateful for feeling Strong and Smart instead of weak and stupid.

I am grateful that I donā€™t need a drink to express myself.

I am grateful for being Independent, Resilient, Strong an Energetic.

I am grateful for reminding myself of all this gratefulness.

I am grateful to be humble and share this with you.

I am grateful for this threat to write it down.

I am grateful for all your beautiful stories.

Thank you :pray: :blue_heart:

17 Likes

I was reading someoneā€™s relapse post and I was immediately transported back to my old wine hangovers. Waking up and feeling nauseous and like shit. Iā€™m grateful I havenā€™t had to wake up with one in a very long time. Iā€™m grateful Iā€™ve got a good memory, even now I feel physically sick thinking of them. Itā€™s motivating to never want to feel that again.
Iā€™m grateful for my beautiful dinner last night.
Iā€™m grateful the service was perfect. Iā€™m picky :grimacing:
At one point our candle burned out and I felt sad because I liked the little flicker at the table. And our server noticed and came over with a new one. Little details matter :heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I was also gifted a birthday cannoli, even though it wasnā€™t my actual birthday.
Iā€™m grateful I got to celebrate with my best friend.
Iā€™m grateful he didnā€™t drink.
Iā€™m grateful I was present for every minute.
Iā€™m grateful I was treated to dinner. :yellow_heart:
Iā€™m grateful I enjoyed the meal with zero food rules. I didnā€™t order a salad. I ate several fried things. And guess what- I enjoyed every bite. :heart:

Iā€™m grateful that even though I didnā€™t sleep great - dessert coffee- am I getting old?Ā” :scream_cat:That I feel rested and happy.

Iā€™m grateful the rain stopped. Iā€™m grateful for the cool crisp air.

Iā€™m grateful for the friends Iā€™ve made here. You guys know me better then 99% of the people in my life. And we have never even met. Iā€™m grateful for my little sober tribe and the beautiful color you all add to my life. Iā€™m grateful for the gift of sobriety that Iā€™ve given myself. :yellow_heart:

21 Likes

Iā€™m grateful for hangovers. Ya thatā€™s right. The insanity of hangovers, and still I continued to drink. I probably got headachey hangovers 90% of the time the last ten years of my drinking. Yet it still didnā€™t stop me. Well, 45 years later it did. The insanity of hangovers was my driving force at the very beginning of my sober journey. Iā€™m grateful every morning I wake up now. How cool is that?

Iā€™m grateful for gratitude. Not only did I wake yesterday thinking gratitude on my way to the bathrooom in the dark. TMI? But I was GratiHappy all day long. Iā€™ve heard ā€œyou got to create your own happiness sometimes,ā€ :grimacing: but yesterday was like GratiHappy all day long. It didnā€™t matter what or when or how I was doing something yesterday. I was just grateful doing it, whatever it was, and happy all day long.

Iā€™m grateful gratitude is such a powerful weapon.

Iā€™m grateful I even called people on the phone yesterday. And they are like whatā€™s wrong? We talked yesterday. My sister. My daughter cautiously answering yeahā€¦ā€¦. I Just wanted to tell you about my sister real quickā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Iā€™m grateful I asked my daughter how her pain was? Itā€™s uncomfortable for me because I donā€™t know what to say. Ever! But Iā€™m learning I can just listen. And acknowledge and emphasize. I donā€™t have to say shit. Itā€™s probably better that way anyway.
#Fuckchronicpain! :wink: Add that to ya list. With that said, Iā€™m grateful I got just a little pain in my back this morning. Pretty minor.

Iā€™m grateful for my sober deck dog selfies yesterday. And just enjoying my sunset sober with my dogs from my deck. It may not be the Pacific Ocean, from high up on the cliffs. Or on the beach. But a sober sunset is a gorgeous sunset wherever I want it to be.

Iā€™m grateful Minnie doesnā€™t snore like a linebacker :sweat_smile: Got my wife for that. :crazy_face: careful buddy. Actually Minnie snores like a beautiful white noise machine. I should record it. Iā€™m grateful since I lost 40-50 pounds and Iā€™m sober Iā€™ve been told I hardly snore at all anymore. Ahhā€¦ the blessings of sobriety. Too many to count. No more getting punched or shoved in my sleep.
Love you guys.

Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, ā€œMy grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.ā€ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christā€™s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christā€™s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:7-10

20 Likes

Iā€™m grateful to see the sun :sun_with_face:. We hardly see the sun in the winter months because of cloud cover caused by Lake Superior.

Iā€™m grateful that i live right by the mightiest fresh water lake of them all. When youā€™re on the shore of her itā€™s like looking out into the ocean, no land in sight.

Iā€™m grateful for the beautiful area that I call home, born and raised here. If you ever get a chance you should visit this area. If you love snow come here in February during winter carnival and see the ice sculptures. We have some really good skiing here too. Hundreds of miles of snowmobile trails. If you love summer the camping, boating, 4 wheeling, hiking, beaches itā€™s all amazing. The colors in the fall are phenomenal, second to none. Iā€™m grateful for this placeā€¦ excluding shopping, our shopping sucks.

Iā€™m grateful for you all like my family in my homeā€¦ i need you guys.

13 Likes

I love this part! I never looked at it that way. Thank you for sharing this :ok_hand: :blue_heart:

6 Likes

My husband and I vacationed on Lake Superior in Michiganā€™s UP last Fall. The lake was wild and angry but with powerful beauty. We almost didnā€™t come home we loved it so much.

7 Likes

I am grateful for quiet mornings with coffee and well written stories.
I am grateful that I recognized that I have been struggling with alot of pain lately.
I am grateful to have some skills to practice instead of being short fused and sharp tongued.
I am grateful that although this flare up can fuck off any day nowā€¦ I know it wonā€™t last forever.
I am grateful that I didnā€™t push myself to drive to a meeting although I really felt I needed one.
I am grateful the connection I had with my daughter distracted me from my thoughts enough until I went to bed.
I am grateful I have therapy twice today because I sure feel I need it!!!
I am grateful I have money to get groceries.
I am grateful I have a car and enough money to put gas in it.
I am grateful that I have the designation for a disability parking pass. I have never swallowed my pride and ordered one though. Days like today it is neededā€¦ I should get on that.
I am grateful that I am starting to let go of the feelings of being judged for my illness but I am not 100% there yet. ā€œInvisible disabilitiesā€ are hard and people are cunts. :wink:

:orange_heart::seedling:

16 Likes

I am grateful to be sober.
I am grateful I can accept today my physical struggles. I will adapt and accept.
I am grateful I have a friend here.

I am grateful I donā€™t drink.
I am grateful my job demands me to make phone calls which I really avoided all my life. It is getting better. No natural but I wonā€™t avoid it to the point I rather donā€™t get the information. I am grateful for my cats. I am so very grateful that they are doing okay.

I am grateful for our social system. Security (some at least) doesnā€™t come for free and with this pandemic it is so very touchable that only taking wonā€™t work.

I am grateful for this place. I am happy to see everyone growing in their recovery. You are so positive and an example for me when I lose track.

14 Likes

Ah Iā€™m grateful to be 25 days sober today.

I didnā€™t really deal with hangovers much, unless I really went to town with the whiskey (damn my high functioning liver lol) so Iā€™m generally not grateful to be waking up without one but I am grateful to be waking up clear headed and energetic.

Iā€™m grateful for my little dog, who does indeed snore like a full grown man! (I think it was Stella who was talking about that but Iā€™m not positive, sorry!)

Iā€™m grateful my shop will open in one week! It cannot come soon enough because yikes Iā€™ve destroyed my savings and need an income. But if this is the price of following my dreams then so be it. Iā€™ll eat ramen every night until I make sales and Iā€™m already saving at least $25/day not drinking which is a nice bonus.

Iā€™m grateful I am clear enough to talk back to my negative self talk and keep a calm demeanor. Spinning out into anxiety and using it as an excuse to drink is so exhausting.

Iā€™m grateful to realize I donā€™t have to write a novel right now and I can just say Iā€™m grateful for my life and my sobriety and you all here and not feel like Iā€™m not giving enough.

16 Likes

That was a driving force for me in the beginning, too. Iā€™m grateful I never need to worry about shifting my time around a hangover again.

Iā€™m grateful to have been awake early to go and get Chicklet #2 and take her out for breakfast. She asked for ā€œnuffinsā€, so muffins she got. :yum:

Back home, sheā€™s explaining all the hard work that goes into running a farm. :joy:

Iā€™m grateful that Iā€™m willing and able to care for my granddaughters and support the kidsā€™ careers. Iā€™m such a lucky lady.

Iā€™m grateful that I was able to dig deep and find some indifference to put towards an issue thatā€™s been bothering me. There are things about myself that I really likeā€¦ Iā€™m not vain in the least, Iā€™m honest, Iā€™m real, Iā€™m caring, I am fortunate but humble, and I always try to see things in others that I can love. But itā€™s hard for me to have to deal with others who arenā€™t so honest and caring, so Iā€™m trying to block that out. It didnā€™t go so well yesterday, but Iā€™m grateful I got it going for me today.

I hear you about the invisible disabilities. @Its_me_Stella I was telling my son yesterday that itā€™s a damn shame most people would have to feel the physical pain before believing someone is actually suffering. Do what you need to do for you. :purple_heart:

Edit: Iā€™m also grateful that Iā€™ve saved over $1,600 on alcohol in the past 5-1/2 months. I was utterly ridiculous. :disappointed: So glad I donā€™t drink anymore.

18 Likes

Oh how precious. I want ā€œnuffinsā€ with my granddaughter. Iā€™m grateful to see that pic and my eyes well up with love. What a grateful blessing you get to do it all sober for her.

It is a damn shame about the pain thing you mentioned. I was blessed to have a sister with MS. And physically she didnā€™t show pain early on. I learned so much from her. This is the stuff no one can teach you in schools.

8 Likes

Today Iā€™m grateful for my own and my familyā€™s health. Over the last couple of days I have spoken to 3 families affected by heart problems. It really brought home to me how short life is and that you just never know whatā€™s around the next corner. Addressing my alcohol use is a great start but myself and my partner really need to work on ourselves.
Iā€™m grateful to be tired this evening, hopefully Iā€™ll sleep well tonight.
Iā€™m grateful to have a walk planned for the weekend, training for a longer charity walk in a few months. Hope the weather holds.
Have a great day x

14 Likes

Today Iā€™m grateful for everything. The mostly clean kitchen in the morning and that I can turn on the loaded dishwasher now before I go to bed. Fresh laundry, it smells so nice. The vacuum cleaner. The two wood-burning stoves. Iā€™m grateful that the PCs work, that I like my office@home and that the cats love me working at the office while they sleep in front of the stove :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Iā€™m grateful Missi is a Mum-girl this week, I canā€™t go anywhere without her. Iā€™m grateful for this lovely purring little furmonster lying on me right now.
Iā€™m grateful @Dazercat posted this

Oh I know that so well. Snorring cats, snorring dogs, snorring parents, snorring husband, snorring me :rofl:

13 Likes