Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #6

Well I will say I am extremely grateful for coming across many of you here.
@Dazercat @Chiron @tragicfarinelli and many many others that take the time to reach out, correspond, show a compassionate and caring approach to reaching out specifically to others.

That helps immensely with this process and know a friendly face is amongst the many many that are here on this app.

I appreciate those of you that do things such as that as it means the world.

I will give some more thought as I am not above considering new info and perhaps read the article that was attached. You folks are the absolute best and I mean that. :pray:

12 Likes

Iā€™m grateful for cuddles with my daughter.
Im grateful she left me a lovely note and drawing next to my laptop.
AFAF ODAAT
:heart::v:

15 Likes

I am grateful for all the things I have learned about myself in the last 40 days of sobriety. One of which was I donā€™t care about anything when Iā€™m drinking alcohol. Iā€™m grateful that my mind is clear enough to acknowledge that I need to take care of myself more & be more patient with myself, others & the things around me. I am grateful that I have the patience to practice mindfulness while doing chores & hobbies these days. I am grateful that now I am thinking clearer I can see that walking my dog isnā€™t just a task to tick off a list, itā€™s supposed to be a walk we both enjoy, mainly her and a time we can bond despite the fact sheā€™s 15ft ahead of me dragging me along. Iā€™m grateful for a crisp but dry weather today which meant I could go on a longer walk. Iā€™m grateful that since giving up alcohol my body now tells me when you go to bed rather than being energised by alcohol & being so hyper I canā€™t sleep until 3,4,5am and then writing off the next 2 days purely to be hungover & catch up on sleep. Iā€™m grateful for this thread, I always wondered why giving gratitude was so important to some people, now that Iā€™m doing it daily I think I sort of get it. I also worry I wonā€™t be able to think of what to write but thereā€™s a lot of things to be grateful for.
Iā€™m also grateful to everyone who reads this šŸ©·

17 Likes

Afternoon All!

Iā€™m grateful to be alive! Seriously, what Iā€™ve done to myself over a couple decades (Iā€™m sure many can relate) :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I like reading the different opinions on this thread. Iā€™ve been on this site longer than I want to say (because Iā€™m on Day 37). Thereā€™s many I know that never post here. I personally donā€™t like the check in thread because that one is SO busy, I was stressed out trying to keep up. :upside_down_face:

My son had a difficult time in school, there was a dark period. I wanted him to be open about what was happening, but then after awhile, I added for him to name 3 positive things that happened every day. Yes, it was often forced, but a lot of times we would end up laughing :joy:. For me, I find positivity can be contagious, thatā€™s why I enjoy this thread

So to force a few more gratitudes, lol (just kidding). Iā€™m grateful Iā€™m done early today at work and it was a good day. Iā€™m grateful that I donā€™t think about buying that bottle anymore. When 430 rolled around, it was happy hour that turned into a blackout sleep. Get up, work, repeat.

Iā€™m happy youā€™re all hear, in this community, not just this thread.

You do you, boo :hugs: :purple_heart:

15 Likes

Congratulations on your 40 days Lisa B
You mindfulness share made me think of a simple beautiful share I heard at a meeting one night.

ā€œIf I canā€™t hear the birds sing, Iā€™m not living in the moment.ā€ I try to remember that when Iā€™m walking Benson.
Iā€™m glad youā€™re here.
:pray:t2::heart:

8 Likes

Iā€™m grateful to God for lovingly guiding me and helping me abstain from my addictions. Iā€™m grateful for my family, friends, TS and the gratidudes.
Iā€™m grateful to be a year clran and sober.

Iā€™m grateful for my kitty. Iā€™m grateful to be home sick today and probably tomorrow and to just try and rest.

19 Likes

CONGRATS BRIAN! So very happy to celebrate your 1 year milestone with you :tada: :tada: :clap:
Sorry that you are unwell - hope that you are able to rest and get well soon.

Keep this amazing momentum going friend :muscle:
tenor

8 Likes

Congratulations!

9 Likes

Woo hoo! Huge Congratulations Brian! :partying_face:
Your hard work and determination is shining brightly.
Hope your celebrating (maybe with your home group?)
Much love my friend and give Peace some belly scratches for me. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

8 Likes

Congratulations on your year!! Way to go!!!

9 Likes

yay! yay! yay! yay! yay! Huge congrats, friend!

Grateful for you and your presence around here.

Wishing you a speedy return to good health and a "peace"ful slumber.

Explore cat congratulations GIFs
:orange_heart:

7 Likes

Iā€™m grateful to still be alive after a life or death experience. Iā€™m grateful for the lives of my animals. Iā€™m grateful to have secured temporary housing. Iā€™m grateful for good friends and generous hearts. Iā€™m grateful to still be sober in trying times :heart:

15 Likes

I hope youā€™re doing OK!

6 Likes

Congratulations on your 1 year Brian.
Iā€™m so dang proud of and happy for you.
Itā€™s so great to see you checking in with this great milestone.
Never give up! Always surrender!
I hope you get to feeling better real soon
:pray:t2: :boom: :birthday: :heart:

7 Likes

Iā€™m grateful for this community, my free educational journey, and my strength in this sobriety

11 Likes

Just wanted to chime in on the interesting discussion and all the contributions to it, @Tragicfarinelli @Dazercat @Chevy55 and @Chiron. Let me preface all of this by saying I take no offence at any views shared! Thereā€™s no one size fits all, thatā€™s for certain.

I kinda balked at this practice for a good long while. I also live in Canada, @Chevy55, in the province (of plenty) that most of the other provinces despise (often for good reason!). Good upbringing, great career, nothinā€™ to complain about. Right?

Except I would get into these mindsets where I was entitled to drink. Mostly in response to things totally out of my control. It was the only sane response to the events of the day!

My counsellor and I were talking about gratitude, and how it can help my recovery. He was clear that it isnā€™t toxic positivity, but more like keeping a spare room in your mind, vacant, ready to see things a different way. (He was using terms like ā€œneuroplasticityā€). But another way to think of it is ā€œwhat you focus on expandsā€.

I still get in those mindsets. Just last week - a really hard day that wouldā€™ve ended in a hangover in the before times. The first tool in my recovery belt is nature. AND Iā€™m also trying to manage my screen time, so when I donā€™t do my list here, I say it to myself on my walk. (ā€¦stupid meeting, stupid unfair comments thrown my way, stupid snow and ice, stupid gratitude practiceā€¦). :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

By the end of my walk I was a lot closer to feeling and thinking like the grown ass 53-year old that I am. And all those stupid thoughts were given just a little less oxygen, and the spare room in my mind was more like somewhere I wanted to hang out. Content with what is. Needing nothing to change! Who knew?

Iā€™m so grateful for this place. I know Iā€™m around this thread and the check in thread less, but I know my recovery needs community. Whether hanging with the chickadees on the icy trails or popping in here, Iā€™m beyond grateful for you.

Iā€™m grateful for another day. 19 months of them today! :orange_heart:

16 Likes

19 Months!!!
I feel like I havenā€™t celebrated your presence here in a while. Always great to read your way with words.

Whereā€™s the swear jar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
It was worth it :hugs:
I hope itā€™s thawing out up there for ya.
:pray:t2::heart:
This oneā€™s for the dog girl :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Well that put a big fucking grin on my face, friend! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::jar::dollar: :laughing:

Thank you. For all your words too. Especially the part about handing over our serenity.

The dog girl sends her shedding best :wink: :orange_heart:

6 Likes

I love how fast time goes by. 19 months already! You are truly a hero! :wink:

6 Likes

Congrats on hitting the year brian, great to see this this morning :sparkling_heart:
Grateful to be up early after a few nights of bad sleep. Last night was a good night so am feeling better this morning.
Grateful to be getting my car fixed today, itā€™s been making noises for a while now, fingers crossed itā€™s not too costly.
Grateful for my tea maker next to my bed, the absolute best thing Iā€™ve bought in my whole life.
Sorry brian, I didnā€™t mean to do my whole gratitude in reply to you :sparkling_heart:

11 Likes