Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery

I’m grateful you share from your heart Maxie. And I can feel it’s real. I get it. The sadness. In a way we are very similar. Ya I got a wife. She’s always past out on the couch :grimacing:. And I’m always on the meme thread. Humor helps. And being retired? Shit I could easily drink the rest my life away. I was the functional kind. Who would know or care. I digress too. I don’t think anyone will mind you going off topic here. It’s ok. Sleep well. I hope we both have better day’s tomorrow. I know when we’re sober. Just for today. We’re worth it. We’re even more worth it when it’s a 72 hour day. I’m grateful I can’t wait for your day 45. I already got your gif picked out. :hugs:
:pray:t2::purple_heart::cactus:

11 Likes

Thank you Eric, your post made me smile. Being here in the ‘home group’ usually makes me feel better. Yes, I :pray: we both have a better day tomorrow, goodnight my friend. :hugs:

7 Likes

I’m grateful I’ve had this. :point_up: Hold onto that. It’s such a beautiful thing. I can remember it distinctly. It’s so cool. I don’t think I’ve read anyone else putting it that way.
Great share.
I’m grateful you’ve joined us.

7 Likes

Good morning sober fam. Time to flex my gratitude muscle!

Im so very greatful for…

My sobriety, day 73 free from weed and alcohol
Finding fellowship and feeling less alone
Conversations last night on step 2 from AA
My sponsor and her hugs
My hubby and Boscoe
Hubby cooking dinner last night, as i had 2 hours of AA last night
Going to dinner with the folks tonight
A productive day at work yesterday
I cant believe its only Wednesday, but hey any day im sober is a win
Flexing my spiritual muscles and getting an internal reassurance im on the right path
Your sobriety and sharing your ups and downs of recovery

Lets go out and slay the day soberly!

13 Likes

@maxwell Maxine, I am grateful for my family, I really am. I dont write about how my husband is an alcoholic and drinks from the time he get off work at 12:30 in the afternoon until I scoot him off to bed at 8pm. While he is a happy drunk it is difficult and tempting to join him. I often feel he is checked out of life. On his days off he still wakes up at 2 30 am but its his days off so by the time I wake up at 6 or 7 he has been drinking for several hours.
I’ve been seeing a counselor for co dependency and it is helping.
He isn’t perfect and I do wish he would stop with me but that isn’t my business ( I remind myself of this many times daily )
I’m grateful he isn’t an abusive or mean drunk.
My pooch neela whom I laid to rest last year my biggest comfort in life. His little chihuahua tolerates me and loves him lol im a dog person so I kills me she won’t let me love her.

Things are not perfect but I try so hard to see the best in all of it and I also use humor as a deflection. Thats why I miss rocky the tree squirrel so much when he is gone for days at a time lately. He is my morning joy.

Big hugs to you my dear. :hugs:

13 Likes

I’m grateful I’m not alone in this.
Are we living the same life?
Have you seen this thread?

We are definitely not alone.
By the way I’m not stalking you :rofl:
I think God puts people in the right place at the right time.
Have a good sober day.

7 Likes

Hahaha thats funny Eric :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: ya stalker :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:
Just kidding. I appreciate all the suggestions. I will check that thread out also. Its a struggle for sure but I am grateful he is in my life. He is a good man, he just isn’t ready yet.
You rock by the way. Thanks for being an active member and helping others. :hugs:

6 Likes

I can relate a lot. What helps me sometimes is: don’t compare your insides with everybody’s outside. There are also times when I think: phew, thank god I don’t have to deal with this or that (relationship…). And I often hear people telling me how jealous they are that I have me time. They think that I like it a lot. Like I think they like group or family time a lot.

9 Likes

I am grateful to God please help me be my best clean and sober self while doing your will just for today. I am grateful for my recovery and it’s challenges and blessings. I am grateful for All my family and friends and all you gratidudes. I am grateful for early morning messages from Mom, and texts that wake me up from my co-worker and boss. I am grateful I called a friend rather than text it’s wacky Wednesday and great to hear a friendly fun voice.
God bless you all. :v: & :heart:

p.s. Don’t ever forget you rock k? Ya You!!

11 Likes

@Shaunda

Good morning, I’m sorry if it sounded like I think everyone else’s life is better, I really wasn’t. It was how I was feeling at the time, lonely. My ex was an alcoholic, drug addict that lied, stole, disappeared over nights. I ended up in extreme debt because of him and it wasn’t easy to get rid of him. Would I want him back, Hell No. My dog Jake passed in 2020 after 14 years, I cried for months, still will cry if I talk about him. I started working remote in 2020 and still do, it’s a blessing, and maybe makes me a little more isolated.

I do wish I had my Mom, but she’s been gone forever. So sometimes I feel alone, you all are the only ones I share with, or talk to. I’m not really the jealous type and I try to stay positive. My doctor did put me on antidepressants last year, basically because I busted out crying in his office. But it is what it is. I look at a lot of you as friends, and it makes me happy when you’re happy. :heart:

12 Likes

And I love your Rocky the squirrel posts! :heart: :chipmunk:

7 Likes

Maxine i totally understand loneliness and I only took it as just that. I do also understand that sometimes I myself can read about others lives or the parts they share online and it can add to those feelings. I just wanted to put some reality to my posts I guess. Its not all rainbows and sunshine however grateful I try to be for all the warts :rofl:

9 Likes

G’morning :sun_behind_small_cloud::sunflower::yellow_heart:

I’m grateful for this new day, for the hope it’s better than yesterday, and for knowing I won’t be drinking if it’s not.

I’m grateful I read your shares before starting my gratitude this morning. @maxwell @Shaunda I relate in different ways to both of your stories. I naively believed that sobriety would improve my relationship with my husband, but I had long drowned the problems between us with alcohol. I’ve been facing those problems for the past 11 months. Sometimes I sit in the loneliness with my books and my meditations, and I try to learn how to be a better person, a different person, so that my husband will realize I’m doing all I possibly can. Other times I tell him how I feel and that I don’t know how much more work I can do on me before it makes a difference to him. You know how the Bible says that God is never changing? Well, that describes my husband to a T. Maxine, I was thinking last night if staying with someone simply because they’re the person I’m closest to in this world is worth all the loneliness, especially knowing they are right here but unwilling to change. I don’t know the answer, yet. I’m grateful I’m still working on it.

I’m grateful I look to others who know what this loneliness feels like. I’m grateful we have each other, and I’m grateful we don’t drink anymore. :heart:

14 Likes

One of the many things I like about this forum is the honesty people share. The ups and downs and our non perfect lives. :rainbow: :sun_with_face: :rose::star_struck:

11 Likes

I’m grateful for so many things this morning. But currently Alice warmly on my lap purring away like a Geiger counter.
I’m grateful today I think it’s kind of fun getting up at 4:45 to get the dogs out for their walk before it’s too hot. Grateful for my Pixie. My coffee. I’m grateful I already got my walk in too. And all that before 7am. Is that how’s it’s done @Sunflower1 ? I’m grateful I don’t drink because by 9 o’clock I’d be ready for a beer or a Bloody Mary. I’m grateful I got my whole sober day ahead of me.

I’m grateful for the extreme sober emotional roller coaster of my life as my DIL had to go back to the hospital last night with my son because her blood pressure was off the charts. They are back home again. She is ok. But I’m so grateful I could be sober and be support for him last night by text. If I wasn’t sober I wouldn’t have been there for my boy last night. I’m grateful I REMEMBERED IT THIS MORNING. unlike someone else I know :grimacing:. Im grateful I live with a constant reminder how great being sober is!! Im so fucking grateful I can always be there for my children and grandchildren. I never have to wonder if I had too much to drink and not answer the phone or text because I didn’t want them to know.

I’m grateful I was interrupted my my landscape lighting guy and it was an easy fix so Minnie and Benson won’t have to Whizzy in the dark tonight.

I’m grateful for baby pics and videos.
I’m grateful for this Home Group thread. I’m grateful how important it is to me.

I’m grateful I’m working a new schedule in the morning.
I. Hate. Change. :grimacing:.
Well I’m grateful I use to hate change. I’m grateful I’m embracing my changed morning routine. And if anything it’s messing up my brain and keeping me away from thoughts of depression and a poor me pity party. And especially keeping me from thoughts of drinking. I’m grateful I can retrain my brain at such a late stage of my life. I’m grateful I can be open minded to recovery.
I’m grateful I get to share with people I don’t know. Well I kinda know. But y’all know what I mean. I’m grateful I keep getting text notices and they are baby pics from my son as I write this. I guess Mom is well today.
I’m grateful to God.

We put so much pressure on ourselves that we forget to look around and see where we are or how far we came.
I don’t know who said this.

14 Likes

I’m grateful we have each other too. :heart: I don’t talk about my 1st husband often, but he was a functioning alcoholic, he always went to work, but by 330pm, he would be at the bar, or a friend’s house. And by the time he got home he was drunk, then he would drink the rest of the night in our garage, come in and pass out on the floor in front of the TV. My son would sometimes roll him on his side in case he threw up. This went on daily for years.

I was the normal one back then as I was raising my son. I remember the struggle to get thru to my husband, how we could be so happy, we had what we needed, nice house, etc. But I didn’t have him, he was a lost soul drowning in alcohol. I was with someone, but extremely lonely. TG I had my son, we did a lot together and I’m thankful for that time.
That marriage did end due to that. So maybe the moral to my story, I should just be alone. :joy: :heart: :purple_heart:

13 Likes

This is what my wife use to do to her mother. It’s so sad. I’m grateful I don’t think my wife is a monster. I try to keep the focus on me but I know I complain about my wife sometimes. I’m grateful I truly know it’s this fucking disease that fucks up so much in life.
:pray:t2:

9 Likes

I’m going to share what I wrote in my book this morning. Many of my gratitudes are self talk to get me out of negative thinking about something. Suck as how busy I have been recently.

Today I will be grateful for my busy day. The last 11 months all I could do was lay in bed or drink to deal with the vertigo and sensory overload to get me out of bed. So, today, instead of grumbling about being busy I will stop and thank God for healing me so I can be present in my life AND move to be busy. Just say His name, take a breath and find some thankfulness that I am moving again, that I am participating again, that I am sober again.

Have a wonderful day friends. :hugs:

13 Likes

I am grateful to be sober.
I am grateful for our health care system.
I am grateful I can afford fresh veggies.
I am truly grateful that I like what I cook for myself.
I am grateful I am still here.
I am grateful I almost finished the fire module today. That was really a hard session after my workout.
I am grateful for my colleagues.

I am happy I had a refund of !! € 2.10 for electricity :joy:
Still curious for the gas bill. :see_no_evil: This won’t be funny.

13 Likes

11 months! :muscle:full trip around the sun :sun_with_face: coming up next! Congrats!

9 Likes