Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery

Oohhh im so grateful to be reading your post this morning! I’ve kept up with how difficult it was for you to enjoy the patio since I joined and my heart is happy for you that you were able to even if it was just for that time. Progress not perfection!
I’m also grateful and feel happiness in my heart reading about the turn in your marriage. I pray it continues.

9 Likes

I’m grateful to God please help me be my best clean and sober self while performing your will just for today. I’m grateful for my recovery with its challenges and blessings. I’m grateful for All my family, friends, TS and the gratidudes. I’m grateful that the doctor told me I have Crohn’s disease after my endoscopy Friday so I can try to manage it and that they gave me meds. I’m grateful I can admit it still fucking sucks. I’m grateful I have been surving with it for years already. I’m grateful I mailed my birth certificate information again and hope they will aprove it this time. I’m grateful my ROE from the job I left on May 25 is apparently due to arrive this coming week. I’m grateful for tears and that I generally feel better after, lots of them lately aroung my health and lady friends though and its exhausting. I’m grateful for the summer job I have and that I can almost run it myself now. I’m grateful for music and creativity. I’m grateful to be exercising a little again, just did a tiny bit of man yoga to loosen up before my work day. I’m grateful for the pets I get to play with, walk and cuddle in my building, at work and some of my twelve step meetings. I’m grateful for daily readings, prayers and gratitude. I’m grateful that school is 44 days away, yikes the countdown starts. I’m grateful for @M-be-free49 and her incredible support, and laugh
God bless you all. :v: & :heart:

p.s. Don’t forget to smile and breathe, it feels good and looks great on you. Ya you!!

14 Likes

Thanks so much, Shaunda. :kissing_heart::heart: I went out on the patio again today, and it started raining… again! Maybe I’ll start doing that when we need rain. :joy: I’m hoping things keep getting better in my marriage, too. I’m seriously so over the problems. Thanks for your sweet self. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Only day 2 for me. But I am grateful because it could have been Day 0. I am grateful that I made this decision. Went to bed early yesterday and I’ve had 9 hours of good sleep. I feel much better physically today. I’m grateful because I’m going to have a shower and actually enjoy it, while yesterday I had a shower only to wash away those horrible feelings that day 1 brings with it. I am grateful because this afternoon I have a flight that will bring me home to the life and people I love.

14 Likes

I’m grateful for getting to fully be with my son in the moment today, giving him my full attention, took him swimming yesterday and had a pj day today, so I’m grateful to still have that chance to have all these great moments and other moments to come. I’m blessed

17 Likes

Not sure this is the appropriate place for this post, but since I’m brimming with gratitude today, and since this is my “home thread”, this feels like the place.

I’m grateful I acknowledged to myself, 59 days ago, that I needed sobriety – that alcohol would rule my life if I let it. The first six weeks were tough. I felt like I was out of breath, chasing my sobriety and barely keeping up to it. There was the ever-present dialogue throughout the day, me telling the cravings I would not give in after work. Eyeing my then-beloved’s drink (3oz of rum in each? but who’s counting…) in the evening when he left the room for a moment. Considering a sip, though I hate rum. The dinner party/gathering we went to where I didn’t drink, but longingly sniffed the wine, and when the host poured us all a shot of her homemade crabapple vodka/whatever, I let it touch my lips, licked them, pretended I didn’t like it and gave it to my beloved, secretly wishing I had shot it back.

It all felt so tenuous.

But, those days were fruitful too. I’m grateful I can see that now. I came back here. I doubled down on counselling with new honesty. I started Recovery Dharma, going to 3 online meetings each week in my Sangha (group) and attending other meetings as well. I accepted that I couldn’t do recovery and stay in this new-ish relationship, and was relieved when he, in turn, accepted a job in another city. He left a little over a month ago, and we had our break-up conversation some 3 weeks ago, which I thought went well.

(TW): Only a few days later, break-up rehash conversations happened, while at work even. He said words (ring, future, disappointment, heartache, etc) and I went back to the place in my mind where I fuck up everyone I meet and everything I touch. Fucked up if I stay (though I did briefly consider this route, becoming the co-dependent wino stepmom), and fucked up if go (so destructive am I). No mental escape from either, and on the way home from work, I picked up a craft cider, a bottle of prosecco, and a bottle of red. Got home and drank the cider. Surreal. I stopped. Grabbed the dog girl’s leash and headed for our trails. Walked. Cried. Back home and called my pal with the cabin. Booked an SOS with counsellor. Bathed. Poured the wine down the sink. Both bottles.

And something in me shifted.

I woke. Worked. Went to my Dharma mtg. Had my counselling session. Disclosed it all to them.

Some might call it a slip, unworthy of a reset. But I was grateful to reset. Like I said, something in me profoundly, pivotally shifted when I poured out that wine. One of the Dharma friends said “we don’t lose what we’ve already gained” and I heard those words differently than I have before. I was no longer chasing after my sobriety. Rather, some 8-plus months ago, I threw down my work gloves, the shovel, and walked off the job. 59 days ago, when I came back here, I thought I was starting over. Breaking new ground. But after pouring out that wine? That felt like coming back to a job already started, waiting patiently for me. The gloves are already broken in and they still fit. I’ve upgraded the tools, and will continue to for the rest of my life.

And so I chose my date, and reset my counter on July 7 – pretty much 8 months since leaving here, and six weeks after returning. It might sound silly, but I’m so proud of the last 17 days. I’m grateful for them. I’m grateful for the shaky six weeks before them. For the sober stretch I had before that. I’m grateful that this has been my journey. I’m grateful for the pair of my Dad’s work gloves I have, all broken in, reminding me I can do this.

I’m grateful today I woke up with a smile. I’m M-be-free 52 years old today! I’m grateful it’s the third birthday I’ve celebrated sober. I’m grateful for calls and texts from pals today. I’m grateful for my mtg tonight. I’m grateful that covid meant I had to make new traditions on my birthday, and it turns out the dog girl and I like to split a soft serve ice cream cone once a year on this day! (Not gross, when you consider I’ve kissed boys in my life.:wink:)

I’m grateful I wrote a list of 52 things I’m grateful for in my journal. I’m grateful this thread made the list.

I’m grateful, as always, for another day. :orange_heart:

19 Likes

Happy Birthday, M! :birthday:
Sharing an ice cream cone with the dog girl sounds like the perfect way to celebrate. :blush:

7 Likes

Happy Happy Birthday! :birthday:

7 Likes

Happy 52nd birthday have a great day :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Such a beautiful post. I can really feel the gratitude reading it. Sounds like a fine present to yourself on your special day. Wishing you a very happy birthday :cherries::icecream::birthday:

8 Likes

I’m grateful to be on vacation.
I’m grateful it’s not a hall pass to drink 24/7 anymore.
I’m grateful I got a full nights sleep.
I’m grateful I’ll be able to get a 3 mile walk in.
I’m grateful I’m handling things the best I can. Especially those things that are out of my control.
Which is basically everything. But especially some other things that are REALLY out of my control.
I’m grateful to be waited on hand and foot. For a week. It’s nice.
I’m grateful when I don’t feel like chatting with the group of other people I can go off by myself and find a spot for quiet peaceful self time. I’m grateful I’ll be taking a lot of me time if I feel like it.
I’m grateful for the lovely crew that’s taking care of us. I’m grateful they all speak English and they all have different accents.
I’m grateful for my blessings.
I’m grateful to share them here with ya.
I’m grateful for chef Louie and our mysterious Belgium chocolate of the night.
:pray:t2::fr::motor_boat:

14 Likes

I’m so happy for you! You’ve written a beautiful testament to your sobriety, your commitment to it, and your desire to have it. I love what you wrote, and love your attached picture with your father’s gloves. Wishing you the best for each day coming, days where you will feel grounded and good. What a gift you’ve given yourself. Be proud of yourself. So much of what you’ve written I can identify with. Happy belated birthday, happy every day.:purple_heart:

8 Likes

This was a pleasure to read. So beautiful. Good for you. :heart:

6 Likes

a very happy birthday to you!

6 Likes

Good Mid-Day my friends.
I am grateful today to finally be passing on to another text source that seems very promising for my thesis. I am grateful for the joy I find in working, though it is very conflicted for me, emotionally, and I am still pretty blocked. I am grateful to be on this journey now, slowly slowly skimming down the mountain of this blockage. the last few days I have attempted to not hammer myself into the work, but easing. staying with my feelings, not avoiding them all too much. taking rest when I need, attempting to find a medium that works. rather than total subjugation to stress and the mindset of alarm. I am grateful this idea came to my mind, I am considering if it is an option, some more sustainable way to live. as Stella said above, “to have lost that desperate need for things, that feeling of “I can’t live without…” It’s been replaced with a much calmer feeling of “I don’t want to Iive without””. The calmness this brings, the agency and the feeling of having a center where I am, where I live, around what does me good. this is really eye-opening. it has come just at the right time where I am attempting to be more with myself, accepting of what is, not clamouring for how things should be. finding more peace. which I am also grateful for.

I am grateful for coffee, the absence of headaches (first day in two weeks), time to work, a scented candle I bought for myself and that’s burning on my desk. I never allowed myself to have one bevor, they were useless and frivolous. grateful I can come away from these old judgements and allow myself to enjoy. the little flame helps me concentrate I feel. grateful for all my beautiful house plants that I love to look at.
grateful my dogs are groomed (by me) so they’ll look their schickest when we will be going to that bbq later. grateful I am working on finding inner space to allow my young friend to make her own (bad man-related) choices. grateful I am sober and sane so I can be there for her when she’s ready. and I can see right through toxic men, manipulation and fakeness. and I can have the resolve not to lose my sanity over other people’s pain and badness. grateful for the serenity prayer.

grateful for the ground I am making.

enjoy this day ppl, shine brightly or lowly today.

14 Likes

Good morning sober fam!

Im so very greatful for…

My sobriety, 85 days free from weed and alcohol
No using dreams last night, atleast none i remember
Waking up rested before my alarm goes off
Allowing myself rest this weekend
Mom sending updates from the family reunion
My hubby and Boscoe, we are a pack
Personal growth through this sober journey
Every one of you who shares in your sobriety journey

Let us go out and slay the day soberly!

14 Likes

Happy Birthday :tada::birthday: I’m so grateful you are here​:heart:

5 Likes

First happy birthday :birthday:
2nd, not gross at all. Share your ice cream with your doggie :yum:
3rd. Thabk you for so in deapthly sharing that journey. It really touched my heart this morning. There’s always someone out there that need to hear our story.
I’m grateful for you and your story. :hugs:

6 Likes

Happy Birthday M :pray::sunflower::innocent:
Thank you for sharing your story with us, honestly. I love the mataphor.

6 Likes

I am grateful to be sober.
I am glad the heat will be over tomorrow for some days.
I am grateful I don’t stress myself atm. There is less must and more can.
I am grateful I read here and I can relate to many people.
I am grateful I don’t see anything positive in drinking anymore. The fight is over. I surrendered. These small things were not logical for a long time. Once I felt it, I felt free.
I am grateful there is a HP I believe in. Somehow. Somewhere. No need to discuss this or justify. It’s for me and the gift of sobriety feels like this. Staying sober is of course my work.
I am happy for the series I am watching atm. From time to time I see the news and feel: no, close your eyes. It’s out of my control really.

I am grateful I have enough.

12 Likes