Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery

When He woke me this morning I felt immediately grateful and it has just built on up as the day progresses. I am grateful you found us @Dtitus89 . Welcome. I am very grateful for guided meditation with Ram Dass early this morning. For Recovery Dharma online. For my many wise friends. For poppy bagels and vegan cream cheese. I’m grateful for my therapy session today. Grateful for a phone call with my dear friend Arlene. And,more food sorry,grateful for Beyond Meat burger w/sautéed 'shrooms. Grateful for Yo La Tengo. Grateful for all of you.

9 Likes

I’m grateful I can finally understand this…

I remember my first thread, asking for support because I felt like I was suffocating with the idea that I had to simply not drink ever again. Ever. I felt so overwhelmed in my first couple of months. I was constantly at the verge of tears. Blaming myself for the situation. Wondering how I could keep this up. Worried about past, present and future.

One answer that stayed with me was from @Butterflymoonwoman, and reinforced by @SassyBoomer…was that she was grateful for having been an addict, because it led her to her current path, full of love, empathy, self-knowledge and more…(I tried to summarize the intent the best I can, Dana, I hope it’s correct!)

I didn’t think then that I could ever relate to that feeling. I was angry with the world and disappointed in myself for letting myself get sucked into alcohol dependency.

I’m not that far along in my number of days - a bit over 4 months, but I’m finally at a place where I can say: I’m grateful my addiction led me here. To a place of calm, love, appreciation, gratitude and self-reflection. To this amazing group. To trying to be a better person, however imperfect I might be.

Much love to you all :heart:

16 Likes

This is beautifully written and it resonates with my experience on every level. Thank you.

8 Likes

Grateful for last nights much needed rain. I woke up early and went for a swim in the fog. It was magical. Grateful for lazy days, mostly lying on my back gazing at the clouds and listening to the life of birds and bees around me.
I am grateful I learned how to maintain boundaries and stand up for myself. A friend was about to bring drama into my holidays and I told him to step back. It needed a few repetitions, but in the end it worked.
While I very much enjoyed the last days of solitude, I am looking forward to pick up a friend who comes to visit at the train station. I am grateful I know we won’t be drinking and it’s not going to be awkward. I am grateful I learned alcohol is not needed in social situations. True friends will be friends with and without it.Thank you for being here, sober crew :orange_heart:

13 Likes

Grateful for your share . I remember how difficult those first couple months can be and I relate to the way you felt and some days felt like I was holding on and learning to feel again. Then the basics really started saving me daily. Only recently I have become really grateful for my story … even the bad parts and all the things that had to happen for me to be here. I’m learning so much about myself and sometimes that is really scary. Keep pushing forward one day at a time . Everything will come together as it should

9 Likes

I remember that post I made awhile back and u worded it beautiful. I am grateful that u have been able to experience this bcuz it changes the whole outlook of recovery (at least for me it does). The one thing I never, ever forget is the suffering of addiction and how much addiction consumed me. When I think of how things used to be, I am so beyond grateful for everything in my life today, including the problems I have today bcuz they are nothing like they used to be. It makes me sooo happy to hear that u understand and can relate to being grateful for being an addict. Life is soo good today! Hard times and all! Lol :slight_smile: thank u for the shout out also. Hope ur day has been amazing!

8 Likes

No, not again. I am closing on my Tuesday :sleeping::see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Today I’m especially grateful for NA’s Just For Today. “I cannot rely on yesterday’s program.”
If we’re not growing we’re shrinking, ain’t that the truth. I’m grateful for this daily meditation that always seems to tell me just what I need to hear. And I’m grateful that it’s not too late in the day to work my program so I don’t have to rely on yesterday’s!
I’m grateful for the progress I’m making mentally, the last few days Ive been pretty sick, and while I definitely haven’t been at 100% normal capacity I’ve still been going at top capacity I had at any given moment. I feel like I actually found a very healthy balance for being sick and for someone who historically sprints then stops, sprints then stops, this ability to pace myself is pretty incredible.
Super grateful for my recovery journey right now, my 2nd chance at life.
Grateful to wake up to my 152nd day clean and sober and that I understand if I keep doing what I’m doing (NOT relying on yesterday’s program for example) I will wake up tomorrow to FIVE months clean and sober. :hibiscus:
Let’s finish this day strong!!

12 Likes

Absolutely! :100: Aren’t boundaries THE BEST? I’ve been pondering this topic frequently. Wondering why it took me 42 years to be able to coordinate my feelings with my words and to not have to apologize for the way I felt. & no truly is a complete sentence. If I’m uncomfortable with what someone is saying or doing it’s like this whole new world, one in which I’m able to place a boundary, and then enforce it. It’s really quite magical. Thanks for your share!

8 Likes

Welcome Danielle! Ive spent more time in jail that I ever thought I would, but interestingly enough I don’t regret any of it. I didn’t ENJOY it, but I tell ya, I started calling it “God’s Motel.”
I can still remember stints I did during my addiction where He was able to clear my mind enough to communicate some pretty powerful stuff to me. To this day I cherish those moments He was able to detain and contain me long enough so that I could hear Him. Glad you made good use of your time in there. Welcome to TS, glad you’re here. :hibiscus:

6 Likes

This evening im grateful for the time I had with my family today.

I’m grateful for the meetings I attended.

I’m grateful to be sober and in recovery

I’m grateful for the close bond I have with my teenage daughter.

I’m grateful to understand that I dont have to agree with everything I hear or see but more than that, I dont have to let it disturb my peace.

I’m grateful im learning more about me each day.

12 Likes

I am grateful to be sober and heading to bed.

I am beyond grateful that Will has made a complete recovery and the “spot” that had been seen on the x-ray is now gone. The vet said it could have been a lymph node or abcess that went away with antibiotic treatment. Thank goodness!

I am grateful for my bed, pillows, and fan.

I am grateful to have tomorrow off to clean the house and rest.

I am grateful to be here with everyone. :two_hearts:

14 Likes

Yay I’m so grateful for the update on Will. What a relief. We get so attached to these guys huh. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’m glad and hope that’s over with.
:pray::heart:

5 Likes

Today I am grateful that my son is well taken care of, at school and on the bus. I’m grateful he is enjoying his time there. I’m grateful for alone time for me even tho I don’t know how to manage my time. I’m either doing nothing at all or wayyyy too much. But either way I am grateful to find out what works for me. I’m grateful for God. I’m grateful for my recovery. Grateful to me alive and grateful for my family and all of u on TS. I’m grateful for sleep. I’m grateful for showers. I’m grateful for the cooler night air.

17 Likes

My babies keep me sane

11 Likes

Grateful for sobriety
Grateful to finish one chunk of work that has been hanging over me
Grateful for some time to watch TV dramas
Grateful for kids getting more independent
Grateful for calmer relationship
Grateful for cooler temps
Grateful for spell check
Grateful for FB so I can keep up with people I know
Grateful for my cat

13 Likes

Good morning sober fam,

Im greatful for…

My sobriety, 108 days free from weed and alcohol!
Going to an AA meeting last night even when i didnt want to. I always get something from them.
A moment to pray to my higher power and feel serene
My Boscoe and his constant need for pets
My hubby working hard to provide
This thread and the gratidudes
My mom and her words of encouragment
My parents having been together for 48 years today
Basic needs being met
Personal growth
Everyone here sharing their sober journies

Let us go out and slay the day soberly!

12 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I have started to notice this with my Papi, too, and it was very apparent on this recent visit. It’s such a comfortable space to be in, to just “be” together in silence. I’m grateful for that! He also likes to tell me things, tell stories or update me on things he is working on and I can be comfortable just listening and not interjecting or feeling pressured to have an exchange. It’s a beautiful place to be in our father/daughter relationship.

11 Likes

Good morning all,
I’m grateful for a day off work today. I’m grateful that I will get to hang out with my mom, she’s the best! I’m grateful that I feel emotionally level lately, I know it won’t stay that way because that’s life. I’m grateful for my family, and our home.
Everyone have a wonderful day :heart:

11 Likes

Grateful yet again for the Just For Today meditation. “We lived like alien beings on our own planet, always alone and getting lonelier by the minute”. I remember once I got clean I was walking around my little town feeling apart of human kind again. I hadn’t realized how alienated Id felt, how truly isolated I’d become from my addiction. I didn’t feel like a scourge anymore. I could look people in the eye, I felt apart of the contributing class of humans for the first time in many years. I’m grateful for these little glimpses back into the awakening of my soul, grateful to be reminded of how far I’ve come and just how very, very, much I have to lose. My job has been frustrating me lately, financially I’ve got so far to go, but these glimpses into the things I have gained fill me with so much gratitude and perspective.

And I’m very grateful for this little milestone this morning. :grin:

15 Likes