Day 1 AF-new to this process

Hi-joining this community is really scary for me. I’ve spent the majority of my late 20s drinking almost every day. I’ll be 30 in a month and I want to start the next decade of my life not being addicted. I kept telling myself I didn’t have a problem but I’ve lied too many times to myself and others. I have a lot of good things in my life. A career I love, a loving fiance. I want to be a better person and not always feel like I’m hiding who I am. I’m not religious so going to AA didn’t seem like a good fit. I hope I can stick with this and find the support I need here. Thanks for taking the time to read. It’s inspiring to see so many of you succeed in your AF journey. I’m hoping to find the joy and peace that comes with it.

13 Likes

Welcome it’s very possible just remember no matter what is the game we play I suggest get a sponsor get a network join a home group get a service commitment focus on staying clean and that new way of life will follow start some steps

2 Likes

Welcome Steph! :wave: Lots of wisdom here on Talking Sober, so it’s a great place to be :innocent:

If you’re looking for a specifically non-religious group SMART Recovery is one (if you’d like to check out some meetings; I know for me I always felt safe at a meeting; often that social connection helps :innocent:):

And there’s lots of good threads and resources here on TS too:

Resources for our recovery

Checking in daily to maintain focus #41

Post photos of your pets #4

Foodies Unite #4 (trigger warning food) DON’T GO BACON MY HEART!

And so many others!

Take it one day at a time Steph and stick to your resolve. Your decision is that being healthy and clear is your top priority, because every other priority you have (marriage, career, relationships, personal life) depends on it. That keeps things pretty clear: if something is your priority, absolutely your top priority, you’re going to try everything you need to try to get there, and you’re going to keep trying no matter what. You are strong and you are capable and taking action and now that you’re reaching out, you are connected - and that is a recipe for success.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the welcome and resources! I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Welcome Steph. This is a great friendly community and I’m so happy you found us. We were all new once. When I first started on this app a couple of years ago, I was so nervous, all I did was post my daily gratitude.

I got so much to be grateful for when I am sober.
In recovery, we either learn to be grateful, or we don’t last. Gratitude is the air of recovery. Gratitude is what makes the lungs of recovery fill, the heart beat, and the life flow.

After I got comfortable doing my gratitude work I branched out and started participating when and where I felt comfortable.
I hope to see you around.
Your worth.
And this place works if you work it.
:pray::purple_heart::cactus:

1 Like

Yes, we’re glad you made it here. You can do this. No more shame or regrets.