Day 6: Irritable and Anxious

I’m irritable today. And I’m beyond anxious. Specially with people that I love. I think it’s just my PTSD and anxiety and now that I’m not drinking it’s not a numb as it was when I was drinking. I’m beyond worried about little things. Different spelling, or different emojis, or knowing I did everything for the day but I still feel like something is wrong. Idk. And it makes me wanna drink. I know the craving will go away. I know I am stronger than this. But idk. I’m struggling tonight.

3 Likes

Sorry your struggling Emilee. I remember my struggles in the early days of my sobriety. But I was always angry. What helped me in the evening besides coming on here and reading and checking out a lot of threads was a second really long hot shower. Like 20-30 minutes. As hot as I could take it. I’d get all relaxed, and even have a good cry, because I cannot drink like a normie. Then fill my favorite wine glass with my favorite sparkling water and make a nice dinner. It’s really hard at the beginning. I did a lot of evening house cleaning too. Hang in there.
Meetings are good too.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

Im at day 14 today but I was feeling the same way around that mark. I spent the first 4 days in the hospital but after I got out I wasnt always very pleasant to be around. I think some of it has to do with what our bodies physically are going through. Feeling alot better now. Going to AA meetings every night whether I am feeling to tired or. You’ve done awesome by going this far. Dont let go of it. Give it a chance to pass. Sending lots of Hope your way !

3 Likes

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it. I’ll probably try a cold shower since one of my triggers is hot showers. I have been doing slot of cleaning tho! Which is needed cause I wasn’t keeping up with cleaning when I was drinking.

3 Likes

Wow. I’ve never heard of a hot relaxing shower being a trigger. Cold it is. I learn something new every day.

Gratitude is really good for anxiety too.

I spend a lot of my time on the gratitude thread here. It’s really retrained my brain after 2 years. It didn’t take that long to retrain my brain. But I still do it every day. It’s a great tool for me.

Whelp. I’m calling it a night. Another one sober in the books.
:zzz::zzz::zzz:

2 Likes

Oh that anxiety…I feel you, I really do. Can you make a tea? Something herbal with no caffeine. Chamomile helps me. I’ll send you a meditation link…https://youtu.be/xoYnqvadurg.
I find meditation really hard when I’m anxious but this one has helped me many times.

2 Likes

I agree, the gratitude list has been helping me!

2 Likes

There are certain supplements I take that seem to help quite a bit to calm me. I should post a list of everything and when I take them. I began suffering from anxiety last year (nothing to do with alcohol as at that time I had been sober for awhile) so I did alot of reading and research on what to take and when. It’s not a magic regimen but does help and keeps me off prescription meds.

2 Likes