Day One. Committing to an AF life

My first (and hopefully only) attempt to an life free of hangovers, an embarrassed partner, forgotten memories and meaningless drunk connections.
Today I admitted I’m an alcoholic to my partner. Tomorrow and the next day and every day after that, I fight the battle to not let alcohol control my life.

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum!!

1 Like

Hey LKelly. Looks like we have something in common! Welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome. I am on Day #2 myself. But I am right there with you. I know all about the embarrassment and hangovers and blackout nights.

1 Like

@LKelly @Teammeyer2021
Congrats on making the best decision ever!
This forum is so helpful! Keep coming here, keep reading and keep posting. I have found an awesome amount of support without judgment!!

1 Like

Welcome @LKelly
And @Teammeyer2021

Have a good read around here. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we are all worth it.

:pray:t2::heart:

Gratitude for what we have when we are sober is my best tool in my tool box.

Here’s couple of great threads I like.

Hope to see you around.

You’re worth it.

1 Like

The hardest and most important thing is to admitting you have a problem good job

2 Likes

Thank you! It feels good to be in control right now. Admitting the problem gave me that control. I’ve gone work days and nights without drinking but the weekend is when I struggle most…
Thank you for your support, I’m going to need it!

1 Like

First step is admitting to yourself and others your an alcoholic. Reaching out for support takes courage. Know that you are not alone.Today don’t drink then tomorrow you can have 24 hours. YAY!!! Day by day hour to hour minute to minute. Congratulations!!! :+1::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Welcome @LKelly and @Teammeyer2021! It’s lovely to have you both here with us. @LKelly you say that the weekends are what you’re possibly going to struggle with? My advice is have a plan in place. No booze in the house. Get lots of nice soft drinks in and nice bits to eat. Plenty of sweet stuff at hand, ice cream was a life saver early on for me. Your body will be missing the sugar that is in the booze so having some nice chocolate or sweet stuff eases the cravings. Get some nice bath bubbles in or shower gels and have a pamper sesh… download a new book or plan some movies to watch. I promise, if you plan ahead it will be easier on you :+1: I went to the extreme in my first couple of weeks. I moved the furniture around in my front room (where I drank in the evenings and weekends) so that it all felt new and different. I changed my bedroom around and even re decorated so that it was a sanctuary type room. Lol. Remember… NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES! I’m rooting for you, make sure you come on here as well! This place is a god send! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Well your in the right place and well done for admitting your an alcoholic, it’s all great until it stops being fun anymore so I wish you well on your journey. :+1:

1 Like