Depression in my life

I have never heard anyone explain it so well. True depression lies to your mind. It tricks you into these feelings of worthiness

1 Like

Thank you all so much. Outside of keeping sober I felt like going to AA meetings would help

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone. I will check in tomorrow and please reach out to me for anything! Addiction is a disease and we are all stronger.

1 Like

Welcome Coleman and Happy birthday!! Congrats as well on your 11 days sober!!

I suffered with depression and anxiety for years. I understand the dark place well and how it feels everlasting. It is not everlasting, despite how it may feel. It is understandable you are feeling more sadness after stopping drinking, job contract ending and a birthday. All that will affect you…especially the 11 days alcohol free. Your system/body needs some time to heal and reset. It is okay to be sad and emotional. Sometimes when we take away the alcohol, eventually the body moves past the depressive state and we feel other emotions as well. For so long we depressed our nervous system, brain and emotions and feelings…it will take time to get all that alcohol of your system and reset.

Glad you checked in. You got some good replies and suggestions. Walking and healthy food are particularly helpful I think. Treating our body kinder. Maybe a walk with your wife after dinner?

Hope to see you around and keep on sobering on!!!

6 Likes

I wanted to share this thread as a great place to scroll through and get lots of great uplifting memes and discussion you can surely relate to. It’s one of my favorite threads. It’s also a nice way to pass some time.

Mental health memes and discussion (Part 2)

3 Likes

Absolutely. I’m going to keep on my current path. It really robs you of your life! I appreciate the help my friend.

2 Likes

Your not alone I cry for days on end and don’t have anything noticeable to be sad about. Mr Dr prescribed me sertaline today for depression , I will let you know if it works for me .

2 Likes

I want to cry

1 Like

Let it out

2 Likes

Man thank you everyone. I have cried my eyes out. Like a dumbass I worked with metal all my life (I am a Cnc programmer) and trying to be a tuff guy I have done serious damage to my self. I have to get shots in my spine hips arms elbows and even wrist. I always tell any doctor I go to that I despise pain meds because I am an addict. It’s a very hard situation because of what I look like. Long hair tattoos and just in general I’m a wirery kind of guy.

2 Likes

I truly appreciate everyone’s comments. Thank you so much and let’s all get another day with out drugs and alcohol :v:

3 Likes

Thank you Billybruce.

1 Like

Man I am an addict too. I’ll take anything but mainly addicted to weed meth and booze.

It’s not for fun yeh? I just have this fucked as personality where I self medicate.

Coleman, if you wanna inbox me, I’d be happy to help each other out. :heart:

2 Likes

I’m here my brother. This is a hard road and every friend is a blessing

1 Like

I experience depression to a maddening degree. I’ve lost many years of my life to it. I’m in psychoanalysis (long term intensive talking therapy) since the day I’m sober. Through the work I have done there and the recovery I’ve thankfully absorbed from all the ppl who’ve come before me on here and through other resources, my life quality has multiplied. I’m a much more happy stable person now. I still work on myself daily. I still go to the dark place regularly, but I don’t stay there nearly as long.

There’s help out there. Whatever you decide for, sobriety will be the backbone of your efforts towards greater mental health. As long as you drink and drug, you hide from what it is your depression is trying to alert to you to notice. Depression is a symptom of inner conflict. Listen to yourself, learn about yourself, educate yourself.

Congrats on coming here and sharing, I always feel that connection is the only means of ad hoc relief of depressive symptoms.

Here are some more resources to aid you in your recovery: Resources for our recovery

@RobZombie I’ve seen you open up a bit more here recently in bits and bobs. That seems healthy to me. It also seems like it’s hard to do for you and that’s also perfectly understandable. When I read your posts it feels to me like you’re testing out whether you’ll be accepted. With your background of your mother’s addiction. I hope you begin to feel that you do in fact belong. No one judges you for any of that on here. And coming to terms with your truth, your history, is a vital and big part of addressing your unhappiness in the now. I hope you will continue to do that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Coleman.

Firstly just wanted to say a huge congratulations on 11 days. Those first days are the hardest and with depression and a job loss in the mix you still managed to accomplish it. That is a very strong man i see there.

I am also an autism parent and believe me i know the long term stress that can put you through as you guide them through life, finding the right support and dealing with everyday issues that come up. So from one autism parent to another… a big hug and well done finally finding time to work on yourself.

I also suffered with depression and anxiety. I went on paxil 20mg and it helped me tremendously and also got me through sobriety. It still does.

You can do this. One day at a time x

1 Like

I appreciate each and everyone of you guys/ladies. I honestly feel it will be a lifelong struggle but it is worth the work :v:. I hope everyone has a wonderful sober day

Thank you. It means more than words!

Coleman, I’m so glad you are here, friend. You’ve already gotten some great replies from some of the kindest people I’ve met virtually on the interwebs.

Was hospitalized in 2013 for a major depressive episode that included a suicide attempt. My depression/anxiety meds made it worse because of my alcohol consumption. Two years sober and depression/anxiety is gone. I owe this only slightly to my meds, but more credit to owed to my program/routine of recovery.

2 Likes

Depression is also a toxin
I can only say that there are many issues in afraid to discuss
Now i have courage

1 Like