Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

In Chile too! We found this in a very uber educational Zoom. A very intellectual conversation about toilet swirls that occur below the equator :rofl:

3 Likes

Don’t want to derail …

Didn’t know where to put it. You cannot say Germans have no humour. It’s a speed limit sign to reduce noise on a bridge crossing a 6 lane highway.

17 Likes

That’s pretty ridiculous! Taking German precision to a whole ‘nother level.

6 Likes

This is one for the meme thread :rofl: A real life meme! Ich höre den Amtsschimmel wiehern :grin::grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

Für mich fasst das die Umweltpolitik schön zusammen. Aber keine Politik hier :shushing_face:

4 Likes

Perhaps us AAs need to ignore this post lol and not even go there (ironic I’m replying now lol). I actually discovered a whole bunch of specifically “AA hating” groups on Facebook, and a few similar videos on YouTube. Maybe OP would find plenty of likeminded people there.

Jives aside, it’s nice to see the spectrum of people in recovery here, albeit at times debating certain ideas, doing so for the most part respectfully. That being said I don’t think controversy necessarily is helpful to some in recovery, nor is aa, but again, that’s probably my AA brain talking lol. I’ll spare the quotations of AA literature to back that up :sweat_smile:. Personally I’m from New Zealand, and other than government sponsored (usually legally imposed) drug treatment and private counselling, I really don’t know where else to go to get recovery! I went through councilling, and government sponsored drug treatment. Personally, for me that really didn’t seemed to do it. But aa has… almost three years sober… I do find people who do recovery without aa interesting, but also somewhat intimidating, perhaps because I really don’t know anyone like that. I was so alone in my using, I really didn’t even think people that got sober were tangibly accessible to me. Boy did AA change that! Peace n love :wink:

9 Likes

I’m not religious yet I work a 12 step program, I’m free to do this or stop whenever I want. I also choose to use the word God for a power I have found inside of me. Yes it is my imaginary friend and I’m likely mad or schizophrenic but it’s better than the madness my mind was in before and I’m sober with a routine to share with my sponsees who are also sober so who gives a shit what anyone else thinks.

9 Likes

The concept of free will has never become moot to me. It is of utmost importance. Without it, I would not be abstinent.

Maybe the moderators can move those comments to the derailment thread?

6 Likes

@siand is that possible?

4 Likes

Yes indeed, on it! :hugs:

6 Likes

I don’t think free will is a lost concept because people find themselves unable to choose when they are in the grasp of addiction. Free will is something that everyone has, but some circumstances can remove or limit choices. When you impair your brain through substance abuse, you literally lose the cognitive power to make some (or a lot of) rational thought. Continued abuse erodes our abilities to use our higher faculties.

It is free will though that gets anyone sober, or kills them.

3 Likes

@Mephistopheles you popped up in my odometer :joy:
(Random post so I put it in this thread)

12 Likes

Seems you’re on a highway to hell… :joy::joy:

8 Likes

Nice.
Breaking in my new wheels I got a few months ago

4 Likes

If it’s really three months ago, your average speed from this alone is about 2 mph / 3 kph. Basically constantly walking even while asleep.

Nice.

(I worked with a guy who traveled so much one year he calculated his average speed for the year to be something like 20mph/30kph just from flying. Lol.)

4 Likes

You’ll note my cruise control is set to 97km/hr. Hooray for 80km/hr rural roads & country living! :rofl:

3 Likes

I am sure it will happen soon enough.

4 Likes

And exact quote from me

5 Likes

Woohooo! Moved my first off topic post…correctly…I think

6 Likes