Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

The concept of free will has never become moot to me. It is of utmost importance. Without it, I would not be abstinent.

Maybe the moderators can move those comments to the derailment thread?

6 Likes

@siand is that possible?

4 Likes

Yes indeed, on it! :hugs:

6 Likes

I don’t think free will is a lost concept because people find themselves unable to choose when they are in the grasp of addiction. Free will is something that everyone has, but some circumstances can remove or limit choices. When you impair your brain through substance abuse, you literally lose the cognitive power to make some (or a lot of) rational thought. Continued abuse erodes our abilities to use our higher faculties.

It is free will though that gets anyone sober, or kills them.

3 Likes

@Mephistopheles you popped up in my odometer :joy:
(Random post so I put it in this thread)

12 Likes

Seems you’re on a highway to hell… :joy::joy:

8 Likes

Nice.
Breaking in my new wheels I got a few months ago

4 Likes

If it’s really three months ago, your average speed from this alone is about 2 mph / 3 kph. Basically constantly walking even while asleep.

Nice.

(I worked with a guy who traveled so much one year he calculated his average speed for the year to be something like 20mph/30kph just from flying. Lol.)

4 Likes

You’ll note my cruise control is set to 97km/hr. Hooray for 80km/hr rural roads & country living! :rofl:

3 Likes

I am sure it will happen soon enough.

4 Likes

And exact quote from me

5 Likes

Woohooo! Moved my first off topic post…correctly…I think

6 Likes

Now move it back!

3 Likes

Lol, baby steps

5 Likes

God gave us our gracious Beard
Long live our noble Beard
God save the Beard
Send him victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Beard

@thirdmonkey

6 Likes

I approave of this message

4 Likes

Now I want to find out what my average speed is… Probably not that fast. I don’t go many places…

That isn’t true- hence my initial post
You don’t have to be religious for AA to work for you, I’m certainly not. It’s all about fellowship and mutual support

Just curious, do you believe in 13 stepping or is that nonsense too?

6 Likes

It happens, but those are often predatory assholes using the ‘magic’ of their time sober to hit on people in a weak state. I don’t know what you mean by ‘believe in,’ I clearly stated I believe in anyone’s right to believe in anything that doesn’t hurt others, so your arrest at insulting me fails through your terrible use of language. Do I think that any unhealthy relationship, regardless of sobriety, should be pursued, is a no-brainer. Do I believe that people should not get into relations in their first year of sobriety, no, I think it is bullshit. Just because people get sober, doesn’t change the fact they may be attracted to someone, they may meet their life partner, they may get fucked over by an asshole but that’s life. The big book doesn’t mention anything about this, and shouldn’t.
Hitting on wasted, helpless or weak people is vicious and pathetic. We have laws to try and combat it.
So while I don’ really get what you mean by belief in a thirteenth step, this is my reply.
Stephen