Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

That doesn’t mean they are not :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by that but I would say for myself the label just doesn’t help me.

Luckily not my call on whether anyone other than myself identifies as an addict or is an addict.

2 Likes

This is getting offtopic :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Then forget about that label. But regardless of how we call ourselves, we didn’t sign up here without a reason…

2 Likes

In the program i have known plenty of atheists and agnostics. It is true that the word God or higher power is thrown around a lot in the literature but it in no way means that you have to believe in an actual God. Your higher power can be the program. It can be whatever spiritual practice or thing you want it to be. Most atheists chose to make the program or the fellowship of AA their higher power. It is possible to take this approach in AA and have long and lasting sobriety. I have seen it with my own eyes. Don’t quit the program. Maybe find a sponsor who doesn’t prejudge you but i beg you to find the program that works for you and to never give up on recovery.

1 Like

Agree 100% with this. And, there’s zero God talk at the daily meeting I attend, so that’s a bonus!

1 Like

I guess it’s the beauty and the challenge of all volunteer led programs in particular, they will reflect the local group that are running it. I imagine it varies hugely from group to group on how much emphasis there is on different aspects.

1 Like

Absolutely! In my experience, it was a bit like finding a therapist. I had to shop around to find a good fit.

I hear what ur saying. And I absolutly do not think that ur displeasing God or being a coward if you don’t speak on God. God is very accepting and understanding and truly does met each person where they are at. I feel like God would want me to help others and speak of Him by showing others how He has worked in my life. But if others dont accept God fod whatever reason… that is ok too. It truly isnt my place to judge or to tell someone what works. Thats up to them to discover what works for them. I didn’t always believe in God like I do today. Actually for 20 years or so I really struggled with the word God. I did have a concept of a higher power but it wasn’t God. But I do absolutly agree in the sense that we need something greater than ourselves that can restore us to sanity. Whatever that is for a person is personal to them. When I talk on here in posts or checkins about my connection to God I try to remember to use the term Higher Power. Bcuz I would never want something I say to completely shut someone down who doesn’t necessarily believe or hasn’t come to believe in God yet. Higher Power is more of a generic term I guess. But we all start somewhere. And I truly believe that God helps me to show others in my life that there is something out there greater than ourselves, and that maybe God isn’t such a scary thing after all. My husband is an atheist. But I show him thru my actions that I’m changing. He begins to wonder why and how I’m doing this. And then I tell him about God. And I plant that seed. And its up to him. Even on here I just talk about how God helps me. We dont always have to necessarily talk or preach about God to show how God is working in our lives. People will see it. That’s what attracted me to God. Bcuz I was soo desperate to get clean that I pushed aside any misconceptions I had of God and gave it a try. Literally I had nothing to lose by trying. And I’m soo glad I did. Bcuz God is sooo good :slight_smile: I wouldn’t delete ur account if u really don’t want to. Ur knowledge is valuable here too!

2 Likes

Brother Brad ~ I respect your position, however, without a higher power, we will fail. This is the point of Step 2 in AA. Self power and good intentions are lies! The devil wants you to not believe in a higher power. Continue to be on this platform. We need your support and input. Don’t delete your account. May you find peace and spiritual strength during this time.

3 Likes

Absolutely… there are many ways people get clean and sober. God is what works for me but honestly I just want to see people become free frok addiction.And whatever ends up working for them, is okay by me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right on @Butterflymoonwoman!

2 Likes

Absolutely… forcing religion or any belief in someone is actually harmful in my opinion. It creates a dislike. I hated when people would preach to me about God when I wasn’t ready to hear it. So that why I try not to do that. I just share my experiences with God but I don’t push it. People need to come to that decision on their own. I did :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed. But it does sadden me that so many people miss out on AA because they refuse ANY type of Higher Power. I do understand that we can only pray for those still trying to run on self will. I also get that AA is not a fit for everyone.

5 Likes

It can be frustrating when we believe so strongly about something. Sometimes when others don’t believe in God, it bugs me bcuz I want so badly for them to see how amazing God is. But ultimately I have no control over others or what they think or do or what they believe in. It’s hard for sure… If that thread is bothering u and u find urself returning to it, would muting the thread and having it not appear on ur page help? I mute certain threads so that they don’t show up and I’m not seeing them at all. Certain threads that are super triggering for me, I just mute them for now.

4 Likes

That is not the case. We have 8 active mods here on the forum. I’m a mod and not an atheist. AA and this forum have been my main tools. I have not checked out that thread at all because it doesn’t appeal to me. Even though I don’t share their beliefs, I can still find similarities when they post on other threads. We all have different recovery paths but aiming for the same outcome. Maybe consider muting that thread. This way it won’t show up in your feed and you won’t be inclined to click on it.

12 Likes

Nobody is haulting your fredom of speech, we just ask that everyone be respectful of each other. We recently did a big book study on here and those who don’t follow AA respected our space and did not post. We don’t have to interact on every topic that comes up.

7 Likes

Everyone has their own journey. There were many, many times that I wanted to get support too but I just wasn’t ready to “go to any lengths” (for me this means, getting rid of any old past beliefs or attitudes towards a Higher Power, and learning everything brand new, as if spirituality had never been "tainted for me). Doesn’t mean that I don’t want support or that I don’t want to quit using. I still was holding onto control and trying to run the show. It took me 22 years to finally surrender everything. By going to any lengths, I discovered God. It’s not our place to take others inventory or to tell them what they need to do to gain long term sobriety or to judge where they are on their journey. We just share our experience, strength, and hope and hope that they take something from it that they can add to their lives :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How do I mute this Atheist thread?
I don’t want to see it. Any advice?