Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

You don’t say? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

All y’all a Buncha haters

7 Likes

Ouch

3 Likes

You always crack me up Derek :rofl:
This is a new record from post to void. I’m happy you made read up what the discussion was about, always interesting :grin:

3 Likes

That is not true. Confidently giving out false information to people is not ok.

No one in AA signs confidentiality agreements and people can and do talk. Going to AA for peer support is a great idea and a great way to meet and connect with fellow addicts.

It’s a verbal agreement, not written. Like a Code of Conduct.

Please see and visit the attached.

www.aa.org/faq/i-know-i-should-not-reveal-names-members-i-hear-aa-meetings-what-about-other-personal

Just to clarify, I wish and request for you and anyone else who doesn’t take the 12 step programs guidelines seriously, in my sake, to keep anything I’ve shared on here strictly confidential.

1 Like

It’s not binding. It’s a guideline, at best. Each group makes up their own rules. Saying that anything you share in a meeting cannot and will not be talked about with anyone ever is not true. AA is a peer support.

I’m not saying AA can’t be trusted. It is a very valuable resource for those us struggling with addiction. I’m saying people shouldn’t go into meetings thinking they have the same level of confidentiality protection they would in a clinical setting and it’s not ok to advise that they should.

From the website: Additional rules may vary from one AA group to another, as each group independently creates its own guidelines.

4 Likes

And sharing what is said by another is harmful, would you not agree? Especially if they say it in confidence?

There is always a risk, and we cannot control anyone but our own behaviours, but AA states that this is their expectation. I’m certain that when others first joined and got comfortable enough to be vulnerable it took time to gain the trust of others and the information that was shared, feeling that it wouldn’t be broadcast.

Your argument here is stating that it is not in the best intentions to keep what others share confidential, from what I understand.

I am no longer commenting on your stance and am continuing to move beyond your shares.

I wish you all the best in your journey.

2 Likes

I’m confused about this post. As far as I’m aware, this is our first interaction.

Also, yay! Derailed.

1 Like

Just an fyi, anyone can access and read this forum.
As for AA, guidelines are just that, morals are another, not everyone will follow guidelines and I have many times heard people talking about shares after meetings. We can shut it down and tell people it’s not appropriate and that is can be dangerous but there’s no law.
I stick to the message and practical ways to get and stay sober if asked to share and keep personal stuff between trusted friends or actual professionals not just anyone in AA, other peoples counsellors :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Well… that’s pretty much what I said… Along with the caveat that its not ok to confidently tell someone online that meetings are bound by confidentiality agreements.

And my words were twisted into something sinister and I’m being made up to be the villain. I really don’t understand.

6 Likes

Rules still apply in the derailment thread. If you don’t like a member of the community mute them.

Here is a link for TS rules and in this case specifically pay attention to this one:

1.) Above all, be civil. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree. Do not attack, name call, bully, belittle, gang up on, badger or harass other community members

If you see something you believe is against community guidelines or rules flag it. Lets look to help, not fight.

12 Likes

Oh!! What is the brand? I love ginger beer, hate the sugar content. :yum:

2 Likes

Ooo I don’t know if you will be able to get it where you are, in Australia we have a brand called Bundaberg which does great soft drinks!
Aldi also offer a sugar free ginger beer too, if you have Aldi where you are.

2 Likes

Australia has all the goodies!! :blush: Thank you, we just got an Aldi’s less than an hour away!

And your post really hit it for me as well. Especially this…

1 Like

With fresh limes on ice, enjoy!!

1 Like

Perfection with the limes!!

I moved our side convo here. :laughing:

1 Like