Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

Right?!

Sassy responses are like invaluable deep philosophical shit,

6 Likes

See, that is what I mean. I just love this place sometimes, even when it drives me to distraction. Your wry wit always makes me smile.

4 Likes

I am pretty sure the last word there was spot on!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Carl Sagan says it much better ā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you guys for sharing, Iā€™m sorry for coming off as rude, I am only about 3 months in and really focusing on having contact with my higher power and it was a struggle to turn me into this person so it kinda rocked the boat reading all that stuff. I guess I just wanted to see if I was alone in these ideas I was thinking and if Iā€™m crazy, Iā€™m starting to think Iā€™m kinda nuts, the alcohol is gone but the spiritual malady, restless, irritable, and discontent are still there. I apologize again to everyone on here if I rubbed you the wrong way. I wanted to hear I wasnā€™t nuts in having those thoughts but it didnā€™t work out like that and thatā€™s ok.

God, grant me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference,

In this situation I did not have the wisdom to know the difference. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

You are doing fine. We all question our brains and what the heck is going on in early days. And you happened to hit here at a volatile time, it happens. All are welcome, even those who challenge us. :slightly_smiling_face: Keep reading and interacting, it helped me a lot.

1 Like

The 10 PM Candle light meeting is my favorite there. When I was there last Covid was still pretty new. They had the meeting outside. It was awesome. Summertime.

When I got sober in SLC the first time that stuck. It was inside. I liked the dark atmosphere, being new I felt like I was hidden better.

It was cool to see it around still.

As much development that has happened there, Iā€™m surprised whoever owns that property hasnā€™t cashed in yet. I hope they never do.

1 Like

Itā€™s not at all wrong to believe that! But it is very much an AA thing. Or a religious thing. And not everyone subscribes to that. I think itā€™s a good thing that there is no one right way to be sober. Because if one thing doesnā€™t work for us we can try something else!

There is only one atheist thread and many more that are based on religion, particularly Christianity. Most threads are philosophy neutral and/ or inclusive, which I think is the best thing about this forum! Having the chance to interact with people who think differently to me has enabled me to learn so much.

I believe the phrase ā€˜take what you need and leave the restā€™ is quite widely used in AA. It definitely applies here too :hugs:

7 Likes

No. Nothing wrong with that. But itā€™s called ā€œbeliefā€ for a reason.

I can understand this sounds confusing. On the other hand, do you know the real you ? Iā€™m over 2,5 years sober now and just starting to get to know the real me.
Read 1 John 4.
because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
If God is in you, doesnā€™t that mean you can be your HP ?

2 Likes

I donā€™t know the real me, and in a world where there is so much different information and beliefs it is confusing and sometimes frustrating. I want to apologize to everyone on this forum for being frustrated yesterday and speaking about it. I should have realized what I was saying was hurtful to some and I want to apologize to all the members of that thread that I had a disagreement with and to everyone on this forum, Iā€™m human and make mistakes and Iā€™m just trying to find answers for myself to give me hope and to feel contentment in this world. For me losing the alcohol left me with my spiritual malady, restless and discontent. And my relationships have suffered due to this. Itā€™s like Iā€™m almost a worse person which is scary. A higher power gave me a light at the end of this dark tunnel and thatā€™s just what I chose to believe to try to keep on going. This isnā€™t the right way but my way that is somewhat working. And I need to not stir the pot because Iā€™m getting feelings of confusing and discontentment but just encourage everyone, keep an open mind, and mind my own damn business sometimes. I love you all.

7 Likes

It can be information overload. When I got here, I was going to be sober on my own. Lasted 89 daysā€¦walked into AA. I am now 4 years sober. However, like you said, there is so much information out there. So, I made a decision. I am embracing all that is out there, and now dedicating myself to a new recovery program. One, that will be a little uncomfortable, because it will challenge some of what I believe in. I feel, that challenging will only enhance my sobriety and in the end make me stronger. To be blunt, if I am wrong about itā€¦I can always go back to what I know. I just dont want to stagnate in my sobriety, and I want to learn other methods.

6 Likes

So youā€™re one of us :slight_smile:
Yes, there is a lot of info with different approaches. It doesnā€™t matter which ones yiu prefer, as long as your way suits you.

3 Likes

You are finding what works for youā€¦that is part of the journey. And you are discovering that different things work for different people, as well as the world is full of so many differing belief systems and ways of being. It is a lot to take in!

And in my experience, many of us here also went thru a similar journey of frustration and discovery and so many feelings.

My thought is try not to be so hard on yourself. We are all humans, doing our best and learning and growing. Who I am when I came here 5 years ago is different than who I am now. Sobriety, recovery, life are all journeysā€¦there is no finish line when we know it all or understand it all or have perfected our selvesā€¦well, at least not that I am aware of. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thank youā€¦ As you said we are all human. And in a stumble like this we should have instead the negativity. Helped you. And again I think thatā€™s the point of this group we are fragile and were all learning from our mistakes and learning to recognize when we are making them or when others are making them. We should be apologizing to you for not catching you when you needed us the most in that stumble. Your always welcome on here. Keep your chin up and lets get back on track.:blush:

2 Likes

Something that has been very helpful for me to remember through the difficult times!

3 Likes

Same here! I come back to it often. Another tattoo I should get!

1 Like

Candle light meeting does sound pretty cool.

I really hope they donā€™t sell either. The building is unique and Iā€™m really over all the new soulless buildings being put in. And to be honest, if I ever decided to go to a meeting that would be the place.

1 Like

Thank you :hugs:
How are you doing ? Iv not been on here much past few days but i have read through each night. Its 4:30am here in the uk.

Well since you asked! Lol :joy:
Grateful for my sponsor and my AA home group.
Anxiety attacks are coming back strong in the mornings. Canā€™t sleepā€¦1:15 A.M. here.

Dealing with my job which is imploding. My wife and daughter refuse to move for a new job until my daughter finishes high school. That is in 2 years. I just donā€™t know if I can wait, due to my company implodingā€¦ugh.

Iā€™m speaking with recruiterā€™s about positions and Iā€™m applying. I have to get out of my situation. Very stressful and intense working environment. Iā€™m the CEO, so the pressure is off the charts.

If I take a new job, I would move separately from my family for two yearsā€¦crazy, but I may not have a choice.

I took a DNA genetic test to see what anti-anxiety and anti-depressants work best in my body as well as a folic acid test. Amazing science and Iā€™ll be speaking with my psychiatrist this week about the results. My anxiety is through the roof, so Iā€™m thinking the medication Iā€™m on is not the right one.

Grateful to be with my family and grateful for my pets :cat: :dog:

I hadnā€™t been meditating lately, need to get back into it. Reading the Bible and Big Book consistently and that helps. Learning how to pray too. Just heard about this site Daily Stoic. Pretty cool! https://dailystoic.com/

I should try to sleep :zzz:

Talk soon ~
Mike

4 Likes

Im sorry to hear you have some difficult decisions to make, that as you said may become actually not a choice in the end. I do hope it works out for you.
Definitely alot of pressure to deal with :hugs:

I read about that test to see what meds will work best, i hope you get the right help through the results.
Iv tried 7 antidepressants over the past 2 years, i dont think the dr knows what to do with me any more :sweat_smile:.
I had the mental health team appointment on friday morning, wasnt the greatest they want to try a different medication and reading this post i may suggest they do this test for me, as it is hard taking medications that may or may not work but also mess with chemical balance in our brains whilst beating an addiction is scary for me, all of us.
I do alot of research, the way id been feeling lately my dr prescribed benzos, iv never had a problem with them but use them scarcely as im always nervous and anxious and know they arent a long term solution.

I really hope your appointment goes well, and in a perfect world everything ends up working itself out at work.

Il check out the link, never heard of it before. And if you ever need a chat and im around you dont have to wait for me to ask how you are, my ears and support is here for you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like