Different ways of recovering- we are all individuals

I’m not Mr Alcoholics Anonymous- I don’t read the big book, I don’t pray, I don’t believe in ‘god’, I don’t ring people, I’m resentful, I’m a twat, I’m angry and sometimes I’m not morally brilliant.
What I do is do weekly service opening / closing up my home group meeting, I’ve done the steps with my sponsor, I text people occasionally, I’m the group secretary at my home group, I don’t try and sleep with every woman (this is now selective), I don’t get into weekly fist fights, I try to help other Alcoholics, I listen to other shares and share my experiences, I believe in a higher power (this is AA as a whole), I post to my online sober networks (this maybe memes to others annoyance) and I’m not too bad of a person nowadays

I do me- it keeps my sober and the mental compulsion to drink has been removed so I’ll keep doing that! Don’t let people tell you how to recover, we are all individuals

That being said: Go to a meeting

25 Likes

been saying that for years , your a great example for AA Darren . keep up the good work well done

6 Likes

:joy::rofl::rofl: ur killing me here

6 Likes

Joining my first zoom meeting today :relaxed: It’s hard for me to read the big book because of all the spiritual stuff. I’m atheist. Is AA religious based?

3 Likes

Doesnt have to be, but if we have a flawed perspective and our own thoughts continuously bring us back to our DOC then deligating to a third party we call a higher power seems to make sense. I mean in general we’re only really doing what most religious people are doing anyway and that is assigning values/properties/ thoughts/beliefs which we stride for/see as good to an idea or entity whose actual exsitence is besides the point in hopes that we can gain an insight past our own limited experiences and reasoning. The difference is that we can see it as a construct of our mind and a tool, not some unmanifested creature that came to being through nonDarwinian mexhanisms.

Everything with human struggle/growth has a cerebral or spiritual side to it if for no other reason because the lingustics are already set up, but that also causes hangups for many… dont let it. I was turned off to recovery for many years due to these hangups and my atheism, much to my detriment. Just take what helps and put the rest in the maybe pile or whatever, but dont let it turn you away from sobriety.

3 Likes

It definitely won’t stop me from being sober, my intent is to be a better person and not put myself or family in horrible situations because of my alcoholism. I can respect others for their beliefs so I’m not looking to debate at all with anyone. If it works for you I’m happy :slight_smile: as a fellow atheist I’m glad you responded and I’m learning more about how to go about this in the way that helps me :relaxed:

2 Likes

I personally use refuge recovery/recovery dharma as my program which uses buddhism’s tennant towards liberation, but i also find tons of insight into myself and my addiction through the AA people i talk to.

3 Likes

It is absolutely not religious :slight_smile: It does mention about believing in something greater than ourselves than can restore us to sanity (but u can choose what u want to believe in). In the beginning for me, my HP (higher power) was doing the next right thing, the meetings, nature. Overtime, I have developed my own concept of a Higher Power that’s personal to me. It’s a combination of things actually. God, the Aboriginal culture which also involves nature, Crystals, Angel Cards. It’s whatever works for me that helps me to stay clean.

I remember this saying… and I love it!
“Religon are for those who don’t want to go to hell. Spirituality are for those who have been to hell, and don’t want to go back”

6 Likes

Great post Darren I nearly thought you were talking about me there for a second lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but seriously I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about AA its not religious ,I also don’t believe in god but I do have a higher power

2 Likes

It’s a spiritual program not religious one

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly can & do identify with your share. Thanks for being here & making my day!

1 Like

It’s spiritual, give it a try, it works :grinning:

Above a 6/10 you’re mine :tipping_hand_woman:

2 Likes

Thank you, that is really helpful. I think I have been a bit scared to go due to some misconceptions.

Thank you from a solid 5/10 :rofl:

3 Likes

That’s fine by me :rofl::laughing:

Yep you should definitely try it, it works :+1:

1 Like

I was scared to go to AA. But I went. Interesting one of the first things a fella there said was AA is the most selfish program in the world. There are no rules. You don’t have to do anything. You may not be ready for all of it. It doesn’t matter. You are welcome. Keep coming back. Do what you can.

I am struggling with granting my higher power the care of my will, or however it is worded. I am new, apologies if I have misrepresented this step.

But step 1. Acknowledge you are powerless over alcohol. And step 2. Admit that a higher power can bring you back to sanity. (Well I think I really admitted that I couldn’t do it, so someone or something. Bloody better or I am screwed.) Have hit home fairly well already.

Just do it your way, whatever way that is. You only fail when you stop trying.

1 Like

Nope. Have a read through this thread might help you out.

Big Book Study, We Agnostic Chapter 4

3 Likes

Yes, do not listen to anyone who says itherwise. The Supreme Court decided so. Anyone who says it is not, is not telling the truth. If you are an atheist, you will have to pretend to believe in all sorts of stuff that you will find hard to stomach. If you are not, ore even not sure,it is a fundamentalist Christian sect that has worked wonders for many. I fully support and respect the right for others to believe in anything they want, as long as it does not harm others, but that is a huge leap from fully supporting the belief. I don’t. I think it is mostly unscientific nonsense. There are tons of great sober people there, but I have a core belief system that differs and when I hang around occasionally with those in 12 step recovery. I never talk about how I have maintained my decision to make healthy choices. For a few months now. It only leads to disagreements. You are welcome to contact me, or chat privately. I am not agnostic. I am a stone cold atheist.
Stephen

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

As many others have said, it is not. That may be your understanding, but you are incorrect. Spiritual, yes. But religion implies a certain sect and practice. My own fellowship is made up of Christians, Buddhists, Wiccans, agnostics, atheists, and more. We don’t talk religion, as that’s personal business. We all have different faiths and even none, and all benefit from each other’s perspectives on recovery.

It’s fine if 12 step programs don’t sit right with you. But being actively discouraging of others is a bad look not in the spirit of recovery.

4 Likes