Disappointing setback

So far I’m still 4 months alcohol and weed free but I still tend to have minor setbacks with other drugs. Yesterday I had found some meth inside an old box in my storage and acted on impulse and did a line. Immediately after I started feeling the regret and guilt so I threw whatever was left over in the trash. Most of the time I know my triggers and can deal with the cravings before I get the urge to relapse. This time was different I had no second thoughts about it, does anyone else know how to deal with or know reasons for this impulsive behavior? I understand overcoming addiction is one of the hardest things for a person to do. Im definitely going to commit myself to try harder this time.

2 Likes

Thank you, your response was actually very reassuring. That gave me some different perspective and its definitely a step forward now that I look at it. Much appreciated, have a blessed day :grinning:

1 Like

Cunning, baffling and powerful. The way I deal with immediate impulse is to attend meetings very regularly and to always have the negative effects of my addiction in the forefront of my brain. As time goes on we forget the emotion involved in why we quit in the first place, the emotion lessens. Always play the tape, beginning to end, we all know it’s satisfying at first, that first drink, line, pill… but what happens next. What happens after that. What happens after that. Never forget the guilt, remorse, pain, sorrow that drugs and effect upon us.

5 Likes

Thanks, well said my friend. I’m going to save that as a constant reminder to keep me on my toes. As for the meetings what would you recommend? I’ve never tried any programs or support groups but Im definitely open to try something new that can help me on this journey to overcome my addictions.

I almost had a similar situation yesterday, was at the car wash vacuuming out my truck and saw 2 oxycontin 20s under the seat…i sucked them bitches up with the vac, but I’m not gonna lie, I stopped and looked at em for a while b4 I did and considered picking them up. The difference with me and u tho is I’m only on day 23 without opiates and I overdosed 2 months b4 I quit, so right now I’m scared shitless of the stuff. Had I been as far along as u and the fear had a little more time to recede I prob would have taken them…like everyone else has said, the fact that ur remorseful and threw it out goes a long way, and relapses are a part of recovery. Hell I’ve relapsed on the booze a couple times since I started trying to quit 3 yes ago, u just hafta pick urself up, dust urself off and keep moving…plus didn’t it feel good to throw that crap away? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My DOC is alcohol so I go to AA, I’ve been to NA and CA meetings too. They all follow the same type of format really. Makes all the difference in the world to me. I’d recommend any of the anonymous groups, I also recommend IOP if you have insurance to pay for it. Get to learn a lot about addiction and the impact on the brain and emotions. I graduated IOP today, it was bittersweet but onward and upward.

2 Likes

Good work on getting rid of them instead of giving in, it really does take some will power. Especially since its pretty fresh for you but it certainly felt great to throw it away it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders afterwards. Definitely spot on with picking yourself up, dust it off and keep moving forward. One of my favorite quotes is “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next.” I can somewhat relate on the overdose just not with pills, I had a near death experience 8 months ago due to the mix of alcohol and drug consumption which is the reason why I decided I need to quit and start a new chapter in life.
Best of luck on your journey to recovery, stay positive!

Awesome thanks again! I’m looking into which would be the best one for me, surprisingly theres a wide range of groups and centers around my area. Never knew they had stuff like this in Arizona lol & Congratulations on your graduation, keep it going!! :clap: :birthday: :tada:

1 Like

Meth a mofo.
You are doing well, a set back is a set back. Learn from it and move forward

1 Like

Arizona is full of addicts and alcoholics, I would know, I live in Phoenix haha

1 Like

Indeed it is. I’m already looking forward to see what the future brings and committing to try harder this time. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Wow me too, guess its a small world after all Lol and there is definitely a lot of addicts out here and not enough getting the help they need. Im glad I found this great community of supportive people.

1 Like

This is a great reminder for you of the power of addiction. Add the experience to the “tape” of your ugly addict behavior and consequences, and play that tape if whenever you feel tempted again. Remember, cravings are almost always 5~10 minutes long. Just shift your mind into a different gear, take a walk, call a friend, hot shower (or cold!) - anything to pass a few minutes.