DIY Home Projects

So this is a big unfortunate one. The old owners installed a big deck but didn’t flash or waterproof the ledger board. I have to replace my sill plate, rim joist, sheathing, some subfloor and some framing.

I already cut the deck in half and put a 6x6 in to hold it up for the winter, new deck coming next summer i guess.

See some water damage

Hole in middle of old deck and new/ old side added on with old deck boards to keep the dogs in.

5 Likes

Better view of water damage.

So the plan is to slowly jack up the floor joists from my gym and put a temporary load bearing wall in the room right above that. Then I’ll start cutting shit out and putting shit back together. I have 1 day off over the next 2 weeks so that’s pretty awesome. I also stepped on a nail which was really awesome.

4 Likes

I think you need to check meaning of awesome :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

That’s another major project - damn - that’s serious water damage. Hope weather is in your favor on your day off.

Hope you have your tetanus shot and also hope it’s not to painful.

2 Likes

I have the Tuesday and half of Wednesday off… it’s gonna be great :+1:.

I did get a new tetanus shot, i thought it had been 10 years since my last one but it was about 6… forgot about the time i cut the tips of 2 fingers almost all the way off :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

oh geez !!! grateful the weather will be good – now i just have to say please be careful!

1 Like

Ohhhh you have my sympathy on this project…that was one of my most “fun” to do home repairs. It rained most of the time my son and I worked on it too. But it was so satisfying to have it done and know that all was well after! And to know that I was capable of doing it. I’ll be sending lots of positive vibes your way for this adventure Dan!

3 Likes

Go slow with the jack posts! My son’s trailer had a rotted sill plate, I started off by jacking it up (before I knew about the rot), and did a half turn on the hacks every 2-3 days. Replacing the sill plate (I hired that done) made the windows all align and open /close properly.

Are you thinking of reinforcing the floor under the gym? That’s got to have some weight to it!

Owie :face_with_head_bandage: with your foot!

1 Like

The gym floor is the basement. I’ll be jacking really slow, until Tuesday about 1/4 inch per day done over the course of a day. I’m picking materials up today to do the job, I’ll be doing it alone… me and all my friends :rofl::joy::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Gonna take care of this 5’ section first and then move on the rest. Floor joist are supported in the gym, should be ready to roll

6 Likes

How are you making out with this project?

1 Like

Ready for sheathing and siding again. That sucked… not my favorite project @JazzyS

7 Likes

WOW… You made some serious progress :clap: grateful that the weather held out for you. I cant imagine that being fun at all.
Almost home free…hopefully you will be able to relax some after this project.

1 Like

Been working on this since morning, get to leave for midnight shift now :upside_down_face:. I have a bathroom remodel on deck next, all the stuff is sitting in my garage :exploding_head:

1 Like

I am hoping that work is more relaxing that your day was but I somehow doubt that

So you are just a busy bee :honeybee:…you will have a brand new house by spring at this rate :wink:

Bathroom remodel is going super well :pleading_face:

More water damage. YAY

11 Likes

You want me to help?? :blush:

2 Likes

Bring the matches and gasoline :wink:

3 Likes

That looks rough!

2 Likes

It’s rough… it’s in the 40’s today and tomorrow though so at least I have that and sobriety going for me. I’ll getter done :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Good lord… wishing you luck with this. And yet again an intense project. Glad you found the water damage now and are able to address it while doing the remodel.

Looking forward to seeing your progress…

1 Like