Do we have any Vegans in here? Post your Vegan Food

What’s the base?

1 Like

Potatos and carrots mostly. Seasoned with chopped pickled jalapenos, a jar of salsa, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, & cayenne pepper.
There were a few nut allergies at this gathering so I can’t do a cashew base.

5 Likes

I’m jelly! That looks amazing!

1 Like

I’m not vegan but a few people in my inner circle are, So. I have delved into Vegan options and I gotta say a lot of them are not bad at all.

When we were in Cali went to a Vegan Pizza place they make their cheese from cashews I think? Was actually really good

My sister is vegan and a few of my vegan peeps said to offset the deficiencies is really simple you just need to adjust same if you were on a meat eating diet,

2 Likes

I’m following this thread because of all the beautiful food pics and ideas! I’m trying to eat more plant based meals and made my first vegan entree recently. Thai inspired red curry and coconut milk with dry fried tofu and veg. I was super pleased and am excited to make a soba noodle dish this week with peanut satay sauce, tofu and veggies. (Edit to say it was my first “intentional” vegan dish. I’ve definitely made some in the past but without much forethought)

18 Likes

I don’t. I take vitamins that I lack. Even meat eaters that work out take vitamins. So no difference.

I need this recipe. Please share!

Sure, no probs. For the hummus -

250g chick peas
1 clove garlic
Juice of one lemon
A good handful of fresh coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
3 tablespoons tahini
Salt and pepper

And then blitz it all up to the consistency you like, adding water a little as you go. I like it chunky so add just a small amount of water. If you like it smoother add more.

:+1:

8 Likes

Szechuan tofu noodles

Root veg mash with chilli and coriander with mushroom and leek sausages

16 Likes

Yes, been vegan for coming up to three years now. This thread is exactly what I need.

3 Likes

Gluten-free pasta with broccoli, “sausage”, and a LOT of garlic!! A super simple recipe with lots of flavour.

12 Likes

Just so you know B12 comes from soil bacteria. The only way cows or other animals have B12 in their meat is because they would graze on grass and eat some dirt with it. But these animals do not graze anymore it’s all feed so the feed has a B12 supplement. Ultimately we ALL take a B12 supplement.

As for other vitamins and minerals there’s nothing you can’t get from plants. Even iron and calcium. There is no reason why a vegan diet should result in any deficiency if you eat a colourful variety.

:v:

7 Likes

I used to think all this as well, but I still ended up with B12 deficiency. As far as the cows and livestock go, if you get grass-fed and free-range meat and poultry, you will get an abundance of b12. Personally I don’t like the idea of eating dirt, haha.

As far as eating colorful, I was eating as colorful as I could get, but color doesn’t tell you levels of B12, it tells you levels of antioxidants. Even Dr. Gregor acknowledges that vegans and vegetarians are at an increased risk of stroke because their intake of B12 is usually low. I was eating tons of fruits and vegetables, I was eating big bowls of oatmeal, lots of chopped raw vegetables, I was a big follower of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and his son Rip, I worshipped kale and revered anything whole grains… All it did was wreck my stomach. I made my own kombucha, fermented my own sauerkraut, and watched Dr Robert Cassar’s Earth Shift Academy videos on YouTube until I’d memorized almost everything he said and did. I still ended up 40 pounds heavier, had to rely on acid blocking medications just to function, and grew more and more tired as the years went on.

I’m not asking anyone to eat meat if they feel strongly against it… But forming a symbiotic relationship with local farm animals or even a few in our own backyard so we can have a fresh source of organic eggs and possibly dairy, I don’t see that as going against any vegan or vegetarian value.

5 Likes

Shawarma spiced chickpea lettuce bowls (with shredded carrots and beets, and a lemon dill yogurt dressing)

14 Likes

Stir fry with garlic, serrano chiles, red onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and added “dry fried” tofu (in a well seasoned cast iron skillet) - sauce was a jar of peanut satay sauce and a few dashes of coconut milk. Served with 100% buckwheat soba noodles. Super yum.

14 Likes

I really appreciate everyones views on B12. As a newbie it is useful to get different experiences and opinions. Having done some research myself I have found that I can get all the B12 I need by eating 10g of Marmite everyday, which as a big Marmite lover is not a problem.

Dhal for lunch

18 Likes

Looks delish mate :+1:

2 Likes

Harissa greens on wholegrain pasta, with cashew ‘parmesan’

15 Likes

… And for those who think Marmite tastes like burnt rubber?

1 Like

I don’t know, you’d have to ask them.

6 Likes