Dreams Of Your Addiction

Does anyone ever have dreams where you are doing your addiction? For me with alcohol, when I have decided to stop, I’ll have dreams that I’ve made the mistake of doing it and when I wake up I have so much anxiety. In my dreams I am getting totally naked and being left on the side of the road by people or I am getting drunk in high school just bizarre places. I’m screaming in my head in my dream not to do it but my body is on auto pilot.

My biggest fear with these dreams is that they may come to life and I’ll ruin whatever good reputation I still have. Honestly I’ve just been wanting to run away to a whole new country and change my name and just be free of my mistakes. Become a new person and create a whole new story life of the person I’ve always wanted to be.

Do you guy have these thoughts?

9 Likes

Many of us has had them. If you use the search bar above and fill in “relapse dream” you wil find much info.

For me this image explains a lot.
For me it’s a warning that I’m more fulnerable and I have to be carefull and protect my recovery more.

5 Likes

This is very common and comes up very often on the forum. If you go to the🔎 at the top and search dreams you’ll find other threads. As a matter of fact, there’s another discussion about this going on right now. Here’s the link:

5 Likes

Oh wow they have an actually term for this. Yes it does show me how vulnerable and fearful I am of ever having another drinking episode again. Right now I am just meditating and breathing in some candles that are bringing me calmness. Right now all I need is lots of water :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ok thank you for this, I will look into this post and forum. These dreams are so vivid it scares me. I’m literately shouting in my head to stop and not do it. I am thankful it is just a dream :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Shanyce,

Yes…I dream about picking-up weed and alcohol again; I wake-up disappointed that I relapsed and then feel immediate relief when the realization of the dream hits me!

I discussed the phenomena with my therapist and was reassured that the dreams are a good happening; it’s your mind evidence that you have an “healthy” fear of a future relapse!

The dream(s) are a small battle won in our war for abstinence!

Lovingly,

Dexter

4 Likes

Yes and I hate them

1 Like

Yes I feel the same way when I wake up, just disoriented and fearful that it was real and then relief comes over me when I see that it was just a dream. You are right, I believe it is a good thing to remind us not to do it and the fear that comes along with it because of what could happen when we are drunk.

Therapy is an amazing thing I’ve started as of recently too. It’s a lot of healing work and forgiveness of myself and others. It’s good to always have someone to talk to that can give us some guidance :blush:

2 Likes

Yes me too it’s a very harrowing experience :confused: but once we get up and realize it’s not real, I am good to go and happy. I do deep breathing after my dreams, it keeps me calm.

1 Like

I absolutely do. I have dreams of using my DOC as well as old DOCs and even drugs I have never done. I have very vivid dreams of strange events. Not even drug related but that are disturbing. I’ve woken up with such guilt and shame as if I had done something wrong, and it took me a few min to realize that, hey… im still clean and sober lol. They are only dreams. It’s our brains way I think of trying to find release. And bcuz since us addicts and alcoholics have used drugs amd alcohol to “escape” or attempt to gain a “release”, I just think it’s natural for our brains to still continue to think of that, even while sleeping. They are NOT ur reality tho. It may put u in a funk… it did for me. But after while I am just grateful that it was only a dream and that I didn’t have to reset my timer.

3 Likes

Yes!! Same, I am happy I realized it was only a dream. The heart racing and the anxiety would drive me crazy, all the fear and guilt and shame all in one go. Honestly at points, it almost made me not want to go to sleep but the body needs rest. Thank you for sharing and being open about your dreams as well. You are absolutely right, this not reality. With me joining this community, I am confident that I will cope better​:blush::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congratulations my sister in recovery, I have 208 days

1 Like

Thank you :blush: and congratulations to you, that’s almost a year!! Amazing :star_struck: Keep that you, I’m gonna be with right you. Much love :heart::100:

I was in the hospital recently for 2 months I was on end of life status and my higher power was Jesus Christ giving my life back and I didn’t die right now I’m battling with CPS with this child protective services they have my children and I’m doing classes and stuff to get them back and I got a horrible toxic relationship with the mother of my children and that was the cause of them taking my babies but God is good and they’re going to come home by the end of this year and the name of Jesus I don’t know how you are spiritually or what you believe but I can tell you one thing that God is real anyways have a blessed day and thank you for responding to my message I would love to encourage you to continue to press forward and a sober life is so much more gratifying than one that is not sober.

1 Like

I am a spiritual person :100:%. Sometimes my faith waivers because I don’t know how to get my life together and there are times where I feel so out of place where I keep making mistakes and am stuck in a loop. I have started back to praying and am going to return to my meditation. It’s good for the mind for sure and when I was doing yoga, my body felt great and the next change is definitely my diet.

Wow you have a lot going on and I am glad that you are keeping the faith and yes god is watching over you. You are making the changes and taking the right steps forward. I am sending out positive energy to you and your children. I am sending prayers out to you and thank you I will continue to keep on for my sober journey as I pray for you and wish the best for you :blush::slightly_smiling_face::heart::100::muscle:t5:

Just checking in on you, I hope you’re doing good, I’m going on to have 8 months on the 23rd of may, how is everything going with you?happy Mother’s Day by the way.

1 Like

Hi congratulations on your sobriety date, I’m proud of you, I don’t have to know you to be proud of you you, it’s not easy, I have 227days today, yes I’m counting Lol, one moment at a time, I’m hereby if you need support and are you part of AA ? Or NA? I’m an alcoholic so I’m in AA.

1 Like

Three plus years of sobriety I still have drinking dreams. They usually involve my dad who is an alcoholic sneaking me drinks at family gatherings. Or me hiding my drinking from everyone and then I die because my cirrhosis kills me. They’re never fun, but can occur at any stage. Just be thankful when you wake up you realize it’s just a dream :sleeping:

Thank you so much! I appreciate that! 83 days today now! About 15 years ago I 1st attended NA then CA (which I didnt particularly like as it was very triggering) and then went to AA and NA where I found people with longer amounts of sobriety :slight_smile: I don’t attend many mtgs at all since I moved provinces years ago. Some online.

Tha k you so much for checking in on me. I’m late on this but Happy Mothers Day to you as well :blush: This weekend I had taken some time to really think. My brother and I helped clean the house and did a very nice barbecue for my mother and our aunt. My mother works hard and we wanted to show her how grateful we are for her love :heart: I was down and depressed because of last recent events well the events that took place a few weeks back. I am always stuck on this road of how to be happy, how to change for the better, how to become the person I’ve always wanted to be. I understand things take time but I hope that something clicks with me and good things start to occur and I move out of this cycle of what ifs and complacency and stagnation.
Hope you are having a great day today. As always stay blessed :100: