Drinking and Anxiety

Ok so I’ve recently decided to make the move into a life of sobriety.

I’m a 26 year old man and I thought I had a pretty normal drinking habit. Only that I didn’t know when to call it a night (but doesnt every one? I ask myself) sometimes I’m still drinking on no sleep 2/3 days later. That’s a problem!

I went on a bit if a crazy one last weekend and I’m only starting to normal now, I’d say 80% but realistically I want to find a new normal or should I say old normal…I remember feeling amazing 10 years ago something I haven’t experienced in a long time…I’ve abused my body with cannabis for 8+ years and binge drinking 10+ and more recently occasional cocaine use.

Chronic cannabis use since the age of 14 has given my severe anxiety, I want my normality to feel how it felt before, energetic. I was full of life wanting enrichment from new experiences.

Alcohol did this for me short term but it’s not sustainable and only a terrible roller coaster and only fuels my anxiety and occasional panic attacks after a really heavy night!

I think I need to find stability in life through exercise, good food and love.

Only I know can make this possible.

Maybe we can support each other and make this possible or even if my experience with using alcohol to manage anxiety or if you also fried your brain from smoking to much bud I’d love to share stories.

8 Likes

I think you are already one step ahead of people who also cannot call it a night but still think that’s normal.

I’m not addicted physically but emotionally to alcohol. Before my sober time I would also binge drink or go for a pint during my lunch break (normal right?)

I keep my fingers crossed for you. I’m only 18 days in and already feel like a different person.

1 Like

Thank you! And well done - you got this, 18 days in and I’m sure it’s only going to get easier day by day.

I think I may be similar in regards to the emotional connection with it, I know that anxiety will go away for a few hours but it really is a vicious cycle.

I’ve learnt now that its pretty much stealing fun from your tomorrow to pay for today if you know what I mean.

Hope you keep it up! All the best

3 Likes

@Tom7 reading your story I felt like I had written it myself. Pretty much similar boats. I’m 29, started smoking cannabis as a senior in high school, was a “stoner” in college and just stopped last year because the anxiety after I would smoke just got to be too much to handle. The binge drinking is the reason I decided to reach out for help. I saw a doctor who has prescribed me medicine for anxiety which I cannot drink on. So here I am 25 days into this journey of sobriety.

I’ll tell ya what though 3+ weeks without binge drinking after doing it 6 out of 7 days a week has done wonders so far. Feeling much better and going into this I wasn’t sure if I’d be sober forever. But after reading a lot of the communities stories and taking a lot of time to reflect on my past living a sober life can truly be great.

Here for some support if you ever need it. Glad to have found someone in here with an eerily similar story to myself.

2 Likes

Welcome Tom
And @Devisi
Have a good read around here. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we are all worth it.

:pray:t2::heart:

Here are two good threads to start:

4 Likes

Wow yes our stories sound eerily similar!

I also spoke to a doctor about my anxiety not long ago because binge drinking was not helping at all and was prescribed beta blockers (propanolol) they basically block adrenaline and slow your heart rate…you’ve probably heard of them but they really help with things like panic attacks.

Likewise bro I’m hear if you ever need any support! And I hope we continue on this journey!

3 Likes

Thank you lovely!

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean :slight_smile:

I have issues with anxiety from my childhood. Father was an alcoholic and alcohol was what killed him at 52. Until quite recently I was convinced I am a “regular/ normal drinker”. I didn’t have any withdrawal symptoms, only that vague feeling in my chest that “something is missing and my life is incomplete”. I could go without a drink for weeks, but when I did party… Oh I partied hard.

I recommend a book called This Naked Mind. You can find a PDF version online. It helped me a lot to see that I am not losing anything by not drinking. I made a conscious decision now to stop forever before I get to the point of no return like my father.

We got this, stay strong! :muscle:

3 Likes

Thank you @Devisi.

I’m going to check out that book The Naked Mind!

For my alcohol and drug use the roller coaster ride was part of the thrill for me, a revolving door that i couldn’t stop from turning. In and out of jail, hospital stays, few stops at the funny farm. Where did i go wrong or start this whole mess was like living in a nightmare, was not fun any more no longer dreamed of sandy beaches nice cars and houses I needed the ‘final fix’ drunk of all drunks the high i never come down from. I need to die that was my only way i thought id escape. Over 25yrs of drinkn and drugn got me there. Stole and crashed my last car crawled in the back and layed down. Don’t remember much of it, in recovery now 13mo sober part of AA gave all my will up to God that he can do with me what he may. My will power is spit, nothing i have no control but being in the program im starting to put the pieces back together

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Jonathan, really appreciate your honesty.

I love that saying of “it’s like a revolving door”!

Yep my rollercoaster of drink and drugs caused me to drive over the top a junction roundabout, lucky enough it was little quite road late at night but my car was a complete write off.

I feel like we’ve learnt ten folds from these life experiences and are more adept and experienced with dealing with the future.

All the best mate!

1 Like

I commend you on your self awareness and willingness to look at your behavior at such a young age. I do believe you are providing yourself with an opportunity to have a much fuller life by admitting you can not partake in “normal” type partying like other people might.
If I had been able to do what you are doing at your age, at the begining of my cocaine usage I would have saved myself from crack addiction, meth addiction and an extra 23 years in active addiction combined.
You are right we can all support each other and there is alot of wisdom on this forum. There are a ton of stories which will hopefully make you think twice about picking up ever again.

I hope you are proud of yourself.

:blush:

3 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile: really appreciate the support…I guess I’ve seen quite alot of drink and substance abuse in my younger years to now get to a point of change.

I hope you are managing well on your sober road!

Thank you so much so the advice I’m going to try my best and stay on this path.

2 Likes

I was chatting to a recently sober friend about this the other day. How we didn’t realise that most people don’t actually get blackout drunk on a regular basis :upside_down_face:

In terms of mental health, stopping drinking and generally being healthier are a good place to start. If the anxiety persists then you might find an online CBT course (usually available through your GP, depending on where you live) helps too. But you might find more healthy wholesome living does the trick for you. The point is there are options! Having a clear head is always a good starting point. :hugs:

1 Like