Euphoria Show Thoughts

I have been watching the Euphoria show, and was curious if anyone else has watched this program. If you have, how did it affect you in your journey?

2 Likes

Omg I live this show. New season is POWERFUL. the Rue special where she has a conversation with her sponsor at the diner. So good.

4 Likes

Hi Heather! Good to see you again :wave:

I haven’t watched the show myself. I have scrolled past it. I guess if you define “watch” as “notice it but choose not to dive in” then that is what I did. I have difficulty with shows that explore addiction, personally. It may be a hangup of mine - I suspect it is - but for me I tend to seek out shows that are about different journeys for people. The addiction and recovery journey is 100% a valid journey but I guess for me it’s one that is still a little raw :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t mean to be a downer in my post here though - for people who like it, that’s awesome! I’d be interested in hearing people’s takes :innocent:

1 Like

Another good show is The Female Drunk. It’s on Hulu.

It shows all the struggles with the Journey…

1 Like

I find myself reflecting a lot while watching - How do you relate to the show?

My two daughters told me about this show and about how good it was/is. I couldn’t get past all the penis… Father of the year right here! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

:sweat_smile: yeah definitely a good amount of nudity. Lots of substance underneath the gratuitous skin though.

1 Like

I personally appreciated the dominantly male exposure because I feel that females are mostly exposed objectively and, I guess, appreciated the equal objectication.
I also recognize that this is a “two wrongs don’t make a right,” moment…but I also don’t expect society to stop showing female nudes.

3 Likes

I also loved the episode with Rue and her sponsor at the diner. That episode really dived into the issues of being a user.

2 Likes

I began to watch the show because I heard that it was well put together, but when I noticed it was about addiction… I shifted my perspective. I wanted to watch so I could see what was the public perspective of addiction… and then I saw that it was progressive, so I wanted to see how the recovering community perceived it. :innocent:
I am both surprised and understanding that there is not as much conversation regarding the show though.

3 Likes

It was triggering to watch and I know a lot of others on here would agree with me. From what I did see though it seemed very raw and real which is so rare. Glad you’re enjoying!

2 Likes

I love the show! It gave me a outlook on my addiction and a lot of the stuff on the show I’ve been through. Episode 5 really made me want to go to my parents and apologize for my actions in the past.

3 Likes

It is incredibly raw and potentially triggering to someone in recovery.
To someone that is trying to leave addictive thoughts, a show like this can absolutely motivate them.
Maybe this show is directed to people that do not understand the society that becomes addicted?..and in that case, I am relieved that media is trying to close that gap of connection.
In that respect, what do you all think?

1 Like

It’s always interesting to get a media presentation of addiction(s) because there are so many ways it shows up and so many ways it is seen - and in shows and movies we get to see that without it having to be about us specifically :innocent:

Shows about addiction come up pretty often here in conversation. Some people like them some choose not to watch them (but support the people who are watching them - it’s all about personal choice).

The show “Mom” got some threads (and it comes up now and again):

(“This is Us” is mentioned in that last one too)

It’s all an adventure! :innocent: :woman_climbing:

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of the show, “Mom,” but I understand the people that are posting about the show and asking for connection.
That is exactly why I am bringing this subject up in Sobertalk - I am trying to connect to others and understand more of myself.

1 Like

I don’t disagree at all. In fact, I dislike ALL nudity just for the sake of having nudity in a show/movie. This show however, it was the premise that they’re high school kids and this is what was going on. AND that my high school daughters were watching it.

I know, I know. These things have been happening with teenagers for decades, but my thinking was for MY daughters. With the rise of the Internet and all these shows, I would like to hang on to my naivete and think that high schoolers are still just holding hands and pinning each other when they “go steady”, on the way to a Sadie Hawkins dance, or to the big sport game where they’ll all break out in song and dance on the 50 yard line. You know, like Grease. Where the most risque thing was the sleepover. Negligee’s and bloomers.