Favorite holiday dessert

Im probably teetering on the edge here for some people but cooking with alcohol should be perfectly fine - just tweak the way you cook it. When you make your fillings, work the mincemeat in a pan first in small batches. Dont braise!! Flambe it - this way you still get the depth of flavour into the food but without alcohol content. But i do accept that some will want to steer clear.

If you are all for braising it, experiment with your flavours :slight_smile: Cherrys are a great idea but instead of using secondary syrup as a glace (this will burn)… Reduce your cherrys in water with cinamon, nutmeg and orange zest then strain it; the same way you’d make candied yams or cranberry sauce. Itll take a few hours but its worth it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m making my super thick and creamy rice pudding as well as a pumpkin cheesecake with pecan praline topping for my boyfriend’s family Thanksgiving. Hoping that the way to a boyfriend’s family’s list of approval is through their stomachs :wink:

3 Likes

I love dates!!

Here’s a simple receipe I make every morning: 1/2 cup steal cut oatmeal, fill with water just till it’s covered, maybe a little less, microwave for about 2-3 min. Dice a full apple into half inch cubes, add to the bowl and heat for another 45 seconds. Top with cinnamon and almond milk. The apples are a perfect texture this way.

If I’m really wanting some calories, I’ll add diced almonds or cranberries in the initial cooking-add a little more water and time to rehydrate the berries. Or add chopped walnuts in the first cook, then add sliced banana after adding the almond milk-tastes like a banana muffin but only takes about 3 minutes

3 Likes

That sounds really good. That would be super easy for me to make at work too!!
Thanks for that one.

1 Like

Banana bread with cinnamon and walnuts. It must be moist and crunchy, I love that.

4 Likes

I’ve eaten it for years lol it’s definitely super quick and simple, but delicious

Yeah, it sounds like it. I usually go woth the overnight oats, but now that its getting cold here i want something warm in the am. Plus i actually like the texture of steel cut more than the rolled oats.

…Same…:raising_hand_woman:

1 Like

I have given up sugar.

But a realy nice truffle.

Jam roll.

Jelly

Fruit. Slice peach.

Custard.

Whip cream.

Oh orange juice over jam roll. Used to love the good stuff…

:doughnut::birthday::cake::pie:

1 Like

Oooh making the syrup sounds good… And no added sugar that way! I am going sugar free, was going to make an exception for mince pies but if I can avoid it even better.

Any suggestions for sugar free short crust pastry (i.e. not white flour)? I was thinking almond flour would be nice and complement the mince pie filling, I will probably use mixed nuts rather than just almonds as this is usually what I have in the house.

Mught experiment with some other fruit reductions too for drinks, to add to sparkling water. If you have any other flavour combination suggestions would love to hear them!

I love dates. I got some sukkary ones a while back, so delicious. Better than anything with added sugar!

Date paste is a good idea I should get organised with that :grin:

1 Like

How about a recipe?

You make this for a holiday get together, and it will wow people.

Cherry pie, pumpkin roll, pumpkin bars with burnt butter frosting, cranberry orange salad. At Christmas I like to make candies…chocolate covered pretzels, peanut clusters, cinnamon candy, vinegar taffy.

1 Like

Thank you guys, now I’m hungry lol

2 Likes

Almond flour is bang on the alternative :slight_smile: i know an Italian chef who uses a banana pulp to make pastry which ive tasted and its mad but his recipe will only be known when someone prys it from his cold dead fingers.

For drinks: pretty much any fruit can be reduced but it may need some sugar to help it along the way; i.e. if its citrus because it will need to be balanced out. If you want to go sugar free, instead of using a syrup, adapt it from desert purees instead :slight_smile: much healthier and the possibilities are endless. A few months back , (i boast lol) as a special, I made Chocolate, Almond and Coconut Brownie 3rds with Roasted peach puree and passionfruit crisps… i plucked it out of the sky and it just worked! Apply the same to your syrups and purees and some will work, some wont. The fun is in the tasting :slight_smile: let me know what you come up with

Love that!

1 Like

Do any of your colleagues try to get you to do their jobs for them?

Pumpkin :pie: We double the spices recommend on any recipe. Does wonders.

1 Like

First batch of mince pies made! I used stem ginger syrup in the end and put glace cherries in the mincemeat.

@anon84416494 I used normal recipe for the pastry and it is SO SWEET. Too much for me as I’ve been off the sugar. I am going to make myself a separate batch with almond flour instead of plain flour and no sugar. The mincemeat I’ve made is sweet enough.

1 Like

Shoefly pie… It’s a Amish / Pennsylvania Dutch delicacy. 5db1aa349e2935b810c1ba74a6f770c2