Few hours sober clean and sober… could use advice l…

I’m only a few hours sober… I decided today after I got 3 hours of sleep that I’m done. I have reset this app 6 times and I didn’t even realize that it kept track. I don’t feel very good about myself and I need to change. I have a lot of triggers around me and it would be nice to have some people to talk to or have some advice that isn’t coming from my mom hounding me… please help

19 Likes

Hi! I’m new here and have felt really comforted by how supportive and friendly everyone has been.

Im only like 3 days sober so not really in a position to give much in the way of advice. Key for me has been just focussing on not drinking for the next hour or so, find things to fill your time as best you can. Endure the nights.

You know life without booze is better, that’s why you are here, just need to trust yourself and try as best you can.

8 Likes

Hi I’m on day 5 and I’ve been reseting lots over the past year but drinking lots the past 4 years, each day as it comes I believe, I’ve missed this app it is good for surport, and we need it, keep going don’t give up, I feel like I have to isolate myself from everyone at the moment, I’m meant to do a run for cancer research Tommorro but decided to go to work instead so I didn’t end up having a drink with everyone after, I believe I have to do this to stay focused, do what you have to do for you, stay intouch, we are here :muscle::+1:

6 Likes

Thank you so much. I’m at work but might close early and hit a meeting tonight.

3 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

Acknowledging that you need to change is a perfect first step! Give yourself credit :yellow_heart:….what has helped me is repeating to myself, “can’t keep doing same thing & expect different results.”

I for one, have reset 7x but won’t be hard on myself, you shouldn’t either you’re doing your BEST!

Maybe a healthy outlet of working out, going on walks may help? Always works for me when I feel triggered.

People here are amazing, very supportive. I try logon as much as possible, very beneficial.

You got this! Stay strong. Always ups and downs. Have a great day!

4 Likes

Having a place to let your feelings and thoughts out without judgment is great and this app has been just that for me. You got this set small goals and you will see how you will start to get those accomplished.

4 Likes

Make it easy try a meeting might help wish you well

3 Likes

Hi!! Yesterday was day 1 for me, I rest a billion times. Yesterday was not a great day for me and i felt so alone.
I went to a meeting and met a few very nice people who gave me their numbers and one even called me last night to see how I am doing . My advice for you is to hit up a meeting, it made me feel 10 times better and that I wasn’t alone.

3 Likes

Good morning, Amy (it’s morning for me here)
How are you doing? How you feeling? Hope to hear from you.

1 Like

Morning! I just am getting ready for work. I’m okay. I slept 12.5 hours last night. I’m still very very tired. Feeling a little less hopeless than I was yesterday but I know that since I’m not as hungover as I was yesterday tonight is going to be hard for me.

2 Likes

Meetings or other contact with sober folks works wonders in two ways:

1. It is a rewarding way to fill your idle time.
  2. It can keep the memory of how it used to be fresh and active. I know too well that feeling of feeling a little better now, so I can handle one or two, thank you! And it was always a lie, it always ended badly. Being around sober folks keeps that memory green for me.
2 Likes

Why is tonight going to be hard for you? Work? Friends? Stress? I’m just curious because that is where the problem exists

1 Like

I’m usually way more serious about not drinking when I’m hungover. Now that I’m not feeling as crappy I’m less ‘I have a problem’ you know? Definitely stress as well.

3 Likes

That’s a good amount of bed time but I know my first night it wasn’t actual sleep. As the days progress and you continue a bed time routine the actual sleep quality will kick in. Hang in there little by little it gets better. What also helped me was to not think ahead in the day. Just the moment in front of me. Stay connected. Here’s a thread you might like.
Happy Saturday to you.

Checking in daily to maintain focus #44

2 Likes

Lordy that is so common for so many of us, no matter what your addiction.

It’s weird, in our lives at some point we got into our addictions like they were a hobby, you know? Like “what am I going to be/do if not that?” How am I going to spend my time?

:joy:

3 Likes

This is so true!! In the moments where I have nothing to do I say “gosh this sober thing is so boring” can you believe that!! But I regroup come here or get up and get myself busy and live and breath sobriety information. Very early on here so the booze runs through my mind like a day long marathon :woman_facepalming:t2:. Still sober getting through day by day.

5 Likes

It’s totally weird I know.

I found - I’m still finding - that I have to choose new ways to spend my time. I recently started playing the guitar again (and performing for friends), and it is a blast.

I’ve also gotten into running. Not hardcore or anything - just like, 2-3 km - but I start my days with it and I find it really starts the day off well.

3 Likes

I do love running and I have worked out this week a lot more than I use to while drying. That’s a plus and have been feeling pretty good about it. Hope everyone has a great sober Saturday.

2 Likes

I totally understand that!

Here’s the thing… I myself said “ugh I feel terrible I don’t want booze” then drank when I felt great… Then it progressed to drinking when I felt terrible only to feel better for a very brief time… You then realize over time the excuses for drinking are everything. I feel great drink, I feel stressed drink, I accomplished something drink, I finished cleaning up drink, bad day at work drink, great day at work drink… alcoholism is progressive and it will only get worse. You have a chance to nip things in the Bud. Why keep trying to learn from your own mistakes when you have people here telling you their mistakes? Learn from everyone else. Far too often I see people on here say exactly what you said, the community crafts thoughtful replies, useful replies, advice that works. Then the next week the same post. Sobriety doesn’t magically happen because you want it to, it takes a lot of work and support. I wish you the best. And don’t drink today

4 Likes