First day being sober and I’m having a mental breakdown

First day being sober and it’s been really hard

15 Likes

The first day is well rough for everyone I’d imagine. But the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step …and all that jazz. Just take it an hour at a time if you have to. It’ll start to get easier, and you’ll start to be able to think more clearly in no time. Just stick with it for now Ashley! :v::heart:

10 Likes

Welcome to the community Ashley
Great job on day 1. The early days are super hard. Do you have a support system in place? We can not do this journey alone.

If you can - go to a meeting. Find ways to keep yourself busy. If you can do so - get rid of any substances in home and avoid triggers.

I find this community to be super supportive and a great distraction. Take as much time as you can to read through the threads. It really helped me read stories of people going through similar journeys.

I find the following Checking in daily to maintain focus #58 thread to be super helpful. When you find yourself struggling - type help in the check in thread. This site is active 247 so someone is always around.

8 Likes

Welcome Ashley! Way to go making the decision to get better! It is hard to break free, but you can do it! And we’re all here to cheer you on. :people_hugging::heart:

6 Likes

So glad you came here for support during the most difficult time. You are getting some wonderful suggestions here. I just wanted to let you know I changed your Topic tag to emotional support instead of seeking help. Seeking help is a category for people to post who are currently under the influence and it is an opt-in category, so you wouldn’t have gotten as many people able to post. Now the whole community can join in. Just an FYI.

Please stay with us and you will get through this.

7 Likes

Hi, welcome :pray:t2::two_hearts: be gentle with yourself. The first few days are the hardest but as your body starts to clear out all of the toxins from your body you will start to feel better. This place is amazing, stick around on here with us when you’re struggling, lean on us. You are not alone :pray:t2::two_hearts:

4 Likes

Welcome Ashley
Have a good read around. There’s lots of great knowledge on here to keep you busy.
Here are two good threads to start:

Join in on the threads of your choice when your comfortable.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

Welcome! What in particular is hard right now? Is it feeling overwhelmed by the task ahead? Just focus on staying sober for today. Is it triggers? Can you avoid certain shops, places, people for a while? Joining a community like this is a big help. We are all working together to be free of the prison of alcohol, and feeling not alone is wonderful.

3 Likes

Welcome. Write down some of your reasons for quitting and some of the negative things you are feeling right now. If you can keep these feelings handy you could make this day one your last day one. Keep going.

5 Likes

First day is always a struggle. For me it was riddled with guilt and really dark thoughts. But as you get through that day the next day comes, then the next one, then the next one, and soon you find you’re happier sober because you’re you again. Breathe, you’re amongst friends, you aren’t alone. You will get through this.

4 Likes

I believe in you. Keep the faith. There is hope.

3 Likes

12th day sober and I’m having one today too. Not very pleasant, but niether is booze. Unfortunately my friend we have found ourselves in sober hell.

I have faith though that this torment is only temporary.

3 Likes

I’m proud of you for making the choice to be sober. When it gets tough, just know we are all here for you.

2 Likes

Yes - this too shall pass. I’m sorry for the torment…the beginning days are the worst. You are strong enough to use your tools and resist the urges.
Congrats on 12 days of showing up for yourself.

1 Like

Hey Ashley…how are you doing today?

3 Likes