First Day (My Story)

hi and congratulations on your 3 weeks that’s awesome :tada::grinning:

1 Like

@Dolse71 Thank you :blush: Like I said I was sober for six years then I relapsed. My relapse lasted two tears. I am now back on the right track & I intend to stay there.
How about you ? How long you been sober & are you feeling strong atm ?

2 Likes

Hey @Stupidrummer, I wasn’t around last time you were here, but welcome back all the same!
Glad to hear you got sick of your own shit! That’s usually the turning point. Just own the fact that this is the final decision. As of your first sober day- you are no longer a drinker. It’s no longer an option. You are on a desert island… you get the point. :wink:
Stay well, be brave, and kick that shit to the curb.

2 Likes

I know exactly how you feel. Day 7 for me today. I don’t miss the all day hangovers or passing out on the couch at 8pm. Wine is my poison. I drank 2 bottles a day for years. Quit for 4 months in 2019 and then started again. I also need to lose weight and take better care of my health. Maybe we could motivate one another. I wish you best of luck.

3 Likes

this time around I’m 177 days but I’m in the best position I’ve ever been and using all the tools I have and as you know that valuable experience of past failures. I can’t promise anyone I won’t drink tommorow bc I’ve made them promises to myself before and couldn’t keep them but knowing I can’t take this for granted keeps me sober today.

1 Like

hi and welcome, whoop whoop!!! 1 week, congrats and well done :+1:

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I feel ok so far, all things considered. Incredibly anxious, chugging water and trying to keep my head clear.

You guys are so encouraging :slight_smile:
I knew coming on here again would help.

2 Likes

Congrats on day 7!!
And I’ll definitely be around and can use all the motivation I can get.

The first thing I wanna do after a little while is get healthy and back into shape. I think we can definitely help each other.

2 Likes

Congrats on 21 days! I’m also still trying to figure everything out on here lol.

I’m trying to put some coping things together, but I was completely unprepared tonight so I’m just trying to ride this anxiety out. I have no means to buy anything tonight, so that’s good.

As for sleep, fortunately I have some melatonin which has helped in the past.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

My first day also since 2019. Wishing all the best. We’ve got this. :+1:

5 Likes

With all respect, Charlie, what we have got is a progressive, ultimately fatal disease. Successful recovery from it is probably less likely than succumbing to it. Certainly, recovery powered by the self alone has almost never worked. It sure didn’t for me.

After half a lifetime of drinking, I put all I had into getting and staying sober. The first thing I recognized is that I would not be able to get and stay sober on my own. At first, the most help I would accept was a prescription for Antabuse. Then I returned to AA (not pushing AA here, this is just my story), to individual counseling, and then to an intensive outpatient program. I also had enforced sobriety, so that every day I had the very clear and immediately enforced choice to drink or go sit in jail until my trial some 5 months out. If I were going to not drink, I would need help.

We all need help in varying amounts and differently at different times. The attitude of “I;ve got this” damn near killed me, and I want you to avoid that same false sense of immunity. In fact, for me, the feeling of “I got this” was always accompanied by a flutter of panic - I felt like a young kid whistling in the dark as he walks past a graveyard - trying to keep his fears at bay.

It’s excellent that you have made it through this far, and that goes for @Stupidrummer as well. There are excellent newcomer threads available, here are a couple I recommend frequently:
Resources for our recovery and 2 years sober and what helped me to get there:.

If I seem like a curmudgeon raining on your parade, that’s poor communication on my part. But I do want to disabuse you of the notion that you got this. You don’t, I don’t, none of us do. That’s why we’re here.

:pray:

4 Likes

Thankyou :rainbow:

Day 1 for my fiance and I too! My story is similar to yours as well

4 Likes

Was hoping to find some day oners on here.
Congrats to both of us on our first day!!

1 Like

Welcome💕
Congrats on your journey so far.
We’re here for you!!!

1 Like

You’re definitely in the right place! We’re all here for you!

1 Like

Thanks for checking in😊
I’m doing ok. Just kinda jittery and anxious. Trying to keep my mind off it. I bought a 12 pack of flavored sparkling water which is helping a bit. Like, at least I have something in my hand, you know? Getting through the afternoon without buying anything was really tough, but I did it. I’m hoping I sleep a little better than last night (which was hardly at all).

I will say that the morning was nice and I felt really good when I woke up (aside from being tired). I felt accomplished and happy. I wasn’t groggy and I didn’t have the typical “don’t call out of work” fight with myself that have every morning.

4 Likes

This was really encouraging, thank you. For real.

I’ve been thinking about what freedom looks like and have been writing down things I wanna start doing once I’m not just focusing on getting through the night. It’s been helping.

Feel free to keep checking in :blush:

1 Like

Welcome! Honestly I could’ve written this. Proud of you for realizing the changes needed and jumping at the opportunity! Im on day 5 myself after not going more than 72 hrs without multiple high abv beers for years. Each day is getting a little easier though. I hope it does for you too! Jumping on here and reading through posts definitely helps, especially during cravings.

1 Like

Welcome! you’ve made a good choice and I can totally relate to your story. I’ve been sober now for 4 1/2 months and I was daily after work drunk for over 20yrs. One day at a time man good luck!!

2 Likes