First day sober struggling

Struggling with it. Please help

6 Likes

Hey Natasha, what’s going on exactly? How can we help?

3 Likes

I am so proud of you. It’s okay to struggle. I couldn’t make it through day 1 without ending up in the hospital. I went in Monday afternoon and they ended up monitoring me until yesterday because of my withdrawals.

Do what you need to do but don’t give up. You got this.

5 Likes

Breathe in. Breathe out. You can get through anything for 15 seconds. You can get through a craving. If you are having withdrawal signs (shakes, vomiting, seeing things, headache from hell) consider going for medical help.

You can lay a sober head on your pillow tonight if you take some action to get there - I believe you have it in you to do that.

7 Likes

That first day is a rough one. It can be done though. If you are inclined, and able, I would “suggest” either an online or in person AA meeting.
Of course this is an awesome community as well with loads of experience and wonderful suggestions to help you through.
Deep breath, drink lots of water today. Your body will need the water.
You can do this. Life is so much better on this side.
If you need to detox medically please seek medical assistance. Dont risk it. You are to valuable to risk it. :hugs:

2 Likes

I’m not sure.
I use alcohol or self harm to deal with my mental.
Had a breakdown today

2 Likes

I’m sorry ur hurting today :frowning: drugs were my coping mechanism for ages and it’s natural for us as addicts and alcoholics to want to run to what we know when we are hurting. Do u attend 12 step meetings or have any other supports in ur area? Or maybe healthy friends that u can grab a coffee with? I always find getting out and talking to others helpful. That and self care… making sure I eat, rest, shower etc.

Luckily I’m not getting withdrawals

1 Like

Yeah I’m looking for AA meetings.
I struggle hugely with leaving the house though.

1 Like

You should be proud of yourself for reaching out and making it just one day! It doesn’t matter if someone has two weeks or 30 years we all had to get through the first day. What is all it just curling up in bed and watching your favorite show? If you are hungry eat whatever you want including ice cream and candy. Whatever it takes. I know when we feel bad going for a walk is the last thing we feel like doing for the teachers for 1 foot in front of the other he can help please check back in with us we are all here for you!

1 Like

You can do meeting via zoom or on an app called intherooms. If you’re up for it.

Just do what you gotta do to get through.
I always suggest meetings because that’s what had helped me. Other people have found other things work for them. Lots of wonderful suggestions on here for sure.

Be kind to yourself today. You are important! You are valuable! You are worth making it through these moments sober

3 Likes

Keep talking to this group.
The more you talk the better.

3 Likes

Same here, 3 weeks for me, keep strong

2 Likes

Hey Tash,

There’s a great community of people here to support you. These things take time. What is challenging you the most right now?

-JV

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :hugs:
Your not alone, we understand.

2 Likes

There are online meetings at www.InTheRooms.com and there’s also a 24 hour AA meeting online here:

Take care and don’t give up :innocent:

1 Like

Oh great!
Thank you

1 Like

Well I stayed sober.
That’s the main thing.

1 Like

Great job on staying sober! Just one minute, one hour, one day at a time.
I hope you keep talking and then when you’re ready, start working toward moving from just saying sober to freedom through recovery. Life really is so much better on the other side. :hugs:

Hi Tasha!
Groups groups groups and a recovery program you can work. My first day I stayed in bed binging tv and scrolling the internet where I found this app. I spent that first day NOT drinking. Around day 4 just not drinking wasn’t enough so I was directed to alternatives to AA with online meetings. I have joyfully settled into WFS (Women For Sobriety). It’s not an app it’s online www.wfsonline.org
They have a couple of Zoom meetings a day, forums to post on, chat rooms, and 13 belief and action statements you work for recovery. I recommend it, but snoop around and find a program you can dive into. It really helps so you aren’t just white knuckling it and actually recovering yourself and the reasons you had substance abuse in the first place.
Keep it up!
-Keira

1 Like