Food and recovery

I’ve been working out quite a bit lately and felt pretty drained yesterday and just fancied my favourite takeaway. Prior to being sober, I only ever got my fave takeaway when I was HORRIFICALLY hungover, you know where you literally can’t move. And I would eat it so quickly just to try and feel human again then feel rotten for the rest of the day. It felt like a waste having something so big and greasy otherwise. But it felt good last night! And actually to be able to enjoy the food and not just be having it because I thought I would die otherwise. Seriously, I used to literally wait until 11:30am when Dominoes would open to call them then feel so embarrassed as I popped my hand round the door to claim it.

Has anyone had any other experiences with enjoying certain foods much more now sober?

9 Likes

I always thought food tasted better when I drank…but mainly because I barely ate so when I did I enjoyed it so much more…now that I am sober it seems like I just eat the same stuff week to week…almost being tired of it…and dominos was one of my favorites…like the thin crust pizza there…lol

3 Likes

When I drank I didn’t ever really eat sweet things, was more of a savoury kinda gal. Now though it’s a completely different story, I’m all about the cookies and the chocolate lol! I’m so happy to not be drinking anymore but I really do need to curb the sweet treats now too :joy:

5 Likes

I am on a jelly bean kick…lol…almost a bag a week…uugghh…:blush:

2 Likes

Oo yes I love the thing crust one too! Do you enjoy cooking now?

Same!! I am such a cookie monster now lol I’ve had to start buying Nakd bars which have all natural stuff in to try and wean myself off the white stuff! How long have you been sober for?

95 days…I’m not much of a cook

1 Like

Oh nakd bars are a good shout I’ll look into that thanks! I’m on day 22 so I’m hoping the sweet cravings will bugger off once I’ve been going a bit longer lol, how about you?

1 Like

Jelly beans are pretty good to do fair play!

1 Like

My taste are definitely changing
Beer food is not as good at all without the beer and sometimes can be a trigger. I try to pick different things now that dont make me think “damn this would be sooo good w a beer” lol. Sweets hv also become a daily thing for me. M&M’s :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

If you’re a savoury girl turned sweet tooth by sobriety like me try raisins with a bit of salt spinkled on! Soooo good and a bit healthier too :yum::yum:

3 Likes

I’m noticing I’m taking flavours more now, like appreciating a dressing, or a home made sauce or marinade. It’s the details and it is making the food enjoyable so I’m slowing down and eating more healthier options (most of the time), I’m able to appreciate it, even I’m starting to want to get into the kitchen and I hate cooking lol

2 Likes

I think this is definitely the case for me kdog, I know, I am aware that I have simply replaced my doc’s - alcohol and nicotine - with sugar, mostly in the form of processed sugary crap! Chocolate, cookies, cake, carbohydrates… and the truth is, I binge eat them untill I feel sick (just like I did alcohol, except that was till black out usually). And now I am struggling to stop. I feel my addict self completing engaged and entranced when it comes to those cravings and powerlessness once I decide to indulge. Its hard. Its frustrating. I am trying to be more conscious and mindful. Its funny, cause it seems harder, with food. I’m not sure if it is, but it seems it at the moment.
I love this prayer, thank you for sharing. I’m going to put it in my self-care tool kit :blush:
How you doing btw? How the quitting smoking going?

5 Likes

Ooooh raisins sound good! Not sure about the salt though! :joy: glad I’m not the only one with a newly found sweet tooth!

That is great! I’m on day 96… quite excited to get to day 100! I’ve found being in lockdown has helped as most of my drinking was triggered by being tempted when seeing other people drinking. But less temptation when sat in the house! I reckon the nicest nakd bars are the salted caramel and chocolate orange - I can’t believe they’re just fruit and nuts!

oooo wow I love this, thank you for sharing!! I read it to myself several times and will save it to refer back to! I really want to try mindful eating. Whenever I’m able to, I’m going to try and shop local too and truly appreciate the food. There’s a local baker near me who is selling lovely bread that he’s baking in his flat and is giving the profits to local charities. Definitely something I can get behind!

2 Likes

Oooo yum, I imagine it might have a similar kind of taste as salted caramel? I adore dark chocolate with sea salt on!

1 Like

Defo. I’m even sprinkling salt on my protein bars. I find salty + sweet more satisfying somehow. :grin:

1 Like

Yes! I had a really bad connection with food while I was drinking. I was the same way, only had take out when I was hungover and usually I felt worse after eating it. I actually allow myself to eat normally over time since being sober and I’m much happier.

2 Likes

For sure! This is me atm, with sugar. I think the important thing, for both of us and anyone else on their recovery journey of growth, towards fulfilment, nourishment and true self-love and care, is that we keep going, we keep trying. What we’re doing is not easy, but nothing truly worthwhile ever is. It takes so much courage and determination. I tried for YEARS to quit smoking!! It was crazy how I’d go so long without smoking/nicotine then just revert back in one moment (usually due to alcohol in my case). Allen Carr is who truly helped me “get there” in the end of it, who’s method I realise now is really just mindfulness. He creates that new pathway in your brain where you become fully aware and conscious of what you’re actually doing and why. Quitting smoking is by far the greatest achievement of my life thus far. Life without it is truly so much better. I have no doubt that you’ll feel that too :smiley: another expert in the field is Dr Jud Brewer, look him up if your interested, his methods for overcoming addictions are very much centred around mindfulness too.
Oh and YES, same :blush: love the Tolle thread, we needa revive that one for sure. I was just listening to a podcast yesterday where Eckhart was speaking to Oprah her on SuperSoul Sunday. It was great.