Foodies Unite #5 (trigger warning food) TAKE ANOTHER LITTLE PIZZA MY HEART!

I’ve been curious about this…how does that work with the mocktails you have? Do none of them have simple syrup and use maybe agave syrup instead? And then that counts as no added sugar?! I’m intrigued - because if this is the case maybe I can get in on this!

5 Likes

I was just going to ask about mocktails too… almost always sweetened…
Inquiring minds want to know @Dazercat :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m super proud of him! Our food Daddy, @Dazercat
He’s not eating those fabulous nicest looking desserts I’ve ever seen in my life, he’s not eating bags of cookies and candy bars at a time and he’s not eating all those delicious Talenti ice cream that he and @Runningfree ate all the time!

3 Likes

Went shopping for patio lights and came home with a new charcoal grill. My guy had this model when we lived in Tucson and had to leave it behind. He says they have made some improvements, but his favorite aspect is the cast iron grill grates. Couldn’t pass up the Father’s Day sale! So of course we had to grill again. Sandwich cut 5 Oz Ribeye steaks, some veg and some leftovers from yesterday. He also grilled some other meats for meals this week. Happy fella!

10 Likes

This thread is on fire lately!!! :fire::fire::fire:

@DylanL ALL of that looks incredible. Seriously incredible.

@Thirdmonkey this food prep is, imho what it’s all about

@Dazercat that Father’s Day brunch :exploding_head: . Also….Magnolia Cafe? Is this a place you owned?

3 Likes

Here’s the thread.

Don’t know if you’ve seen it before.

If a recipe calls for or has sugar in it I don’t worry about it. Like @Alisa said. It’s the sweets. The bags of cookies and chocolates and yes the Gelato Jennifer turned me on too. Oh it was so good @Runningfree

I do try to get my mock tail without simple syrup. That’s why I don’t usually do Virgin daiquiris or Virgin other stuff. I always ask if the bartender has created something special and out of the ordinary.

I use to run a place called Magnolia Cafe in Austin @ELY83 with another lovely lady named Karen. 24 hour cafe.
https://www.austinmonthly.com/a-love-letter-to-magnolia-cafe-west/

I was never an owner. But I ran 2 twenty four hour restaurants at separate times for about 12-15 years each, all while waiting tables. One was a New York Deli. First Kosher Deli in Austin Texas. Katz’s Deli and Bar. And the other was a laid back hippie healthy veggie righteous food stoner type of place. :joy: Magnolia Cafe. Moving from one to the other was like night and day. And they were both on 6th street/Lake Austin Blvd. sorry to brag. But I was a bit of an icon being on that street 30 years. Hard work but lots of fun.

7 Likes

You should have seen the desserts on the Father’s Day brunch today. I walked right past them. Thanks for the kudos :hugs:. And that Talenti. What a bender that turned out to be. :scream: Great stuff.

3 Likes

Most of the ones if not almost all don’t have simple syrup. Yuck! I didn’t even like simple syrup when I did drink. I usually list the ingredients like at the Hacienda last week or so. I know one had fresh muddled strawberry. Or fresh pineapple. And all my smoothies are no added sugar. Just sugar from the fruit. And that’s natural so I’m ok with that.

4 Likes

Ah, right on! I hadn’t seen that but I knew you were avoiding desserts. I was just looking for the magic healthful mocktail :kissing_heart: I tend to use fruit juices in mine and since I stopped using them in my smoothies (too much sugar), I realized I ought to not use them in mocktails, either, at least not other than a splash. Guess I have some Googling to do.

2 Likes

I remember some or a couple of them had agave syrup. If I’m not making them I don’t remember what’s in them :grimacing:

2 Likes

Oooo I love this! I will have to check it out. I’m a native New Yorker and a lover of Katz’s! So much of what you post makes sense now. I am going to check out Magnolia Cafe now…I tend to eat pretty healthily, and love anyone that does it really well💛

2 Likes

That gelato is worth it for a treat every once in a while. I’ve given up on my no added sugar. I’ve noticed most of the time I don’t do crazy and I went 10 days without. That was my longest streak lol

2 Likes

Even though I’m from Boston I love New York. I hardly ever go there. His was not the Katz’s deli everyone knows about in NYC. His dad owned Meyers Deli?? I think, on Delaney or Houston st. Can’t remember. But we had real pastrami shipped in from New York. And real New York Cheesecake. The Baby Watson. And Lexington Avenue Egg Creams. I made one for Sissy Spacek one night. She said it was the best Egg Cream she ever had :joy: It was love at first sight. In my dreams :joy: It was a lot of fun teaching Texans about Deli food.

2 Likes

I’m going to re-evaluate after I get my 1 year. Not sure how that’s going to work. But I’m not starting now. 2 more months. :grimacing:
And ya it is. If I only do it once and awhile.

3 Likes

Chicken marsala, ptotaos, vegetables.

12 Likes

I would definitely say that I’m in the same camp. If there is some kind of unique mocktail (or even dessert), I’m more interested but I don’t want to get sugared up on something that is an ‘everyday’ kind of thing.

2 Likes

Aww. My mom always liked a chicken Marsala. Looks nice. Not a fan of Marsala though. I prefer to use a Cabernet. And it works nicely.
Enjoy.

2 Likes

Sweet corn. Actually canned corn. But ok. Sweet corn and poblano chowdah with old bay toast.

10 Likes

I’d never had it or heard of chicken marsala until I worked at a restaurant that served it. I never learned to make it well at home. I have it on rare occasions at a restaurant. This one was pretty good. Chicken was grilled with some smokiness. Never herd of using a cab for this though! Very interesting!

2 Likes

Sorry guys but this is laden with calories and sugar so I feel kinda bad sharing but also proud because omfg soooo good!
I baked a special afternoon treat for us all today. Meant to be choc chip scones but idk what I’d call it. No quite a scone, not quite a cake but it’s gooooood!
This can be the dessert that follows all the delicious looking meals posted above :joy:

13 Likes