Foodies Unite #6 (trigger warning food) ANOTHER ONE BITES THE CRUST!

Catching up on some food posts! Made a corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day and we had Ruebens the next day. My guy made the dressing homemade extra horseradishy spicy, yum, and we used havarti cheese.

Finished off our leftover fajitas by making tostadas, avocado crema on the base (and more on top), queso fresco and shredded romaine.

And finally some leftover creamy potato soup that I added frozen peas and carrots to, a bit of shredded Colby jack and plenty of black pepper. I tweaked my neck/back badly (sleeping after 40 yrs old is a dangerous business) so comfort food with minimal prep tonight.

Thanks for the mention @Alisa I’ve been lurking!

14 Likes

I’ve missed you!

2 Likes

I picked up a prepared seafood Louis salad.
I went with some homemade cocktail sauce with lots of horseradish instead of the Louis dressing.

And I thought I’d try some lightly blackened cod in my cast iron. Meh. I think a more meaty fish like salmon or halibut would have worked out better. And roasted sweet potato.

I was so confused :face_with_diagonal_mouth: The store had yams and sweet potatoes. I think I like yams better. I never was sure of the difference. But I did think sweet potatoes were suppose to be orange. It wasn’t.

8 Likes

Salomon
Broccoli, coliflour and sate sauce

Huuuuaaahhhhh :heart_eyes:
Inhaling… :rofl:

10 Likes

True Food Kitchen for lunch.
I love this place.
Beverage
Kale Aid kale, ginger, apple, celery, cucumber, lemon

Vegan Double Cheeseburger
house-made with portobello, walnut, beet, lettuce, pickled onion, organic tomato, vegan cheddar, jalapeño remoulade, flaxseed bun

I’m actually here for dinner now too :scream:

14 Likes

My kiddo & I’s lunch earlier today. :yum:

14 Likes

The O.G. ginger, honey, lime

Wild Caught Tuna Tostada*
tuna, avocado, jalapeño pepper, sesame cracker, citrus ponzu

Spicy Panang Curry
forbidden rice, sweet potato, bok choy, heirloom carrot, snap pea, green bean, thai shellfish curry broth, herbs

12 Likes

@RosaCanDo your Rueben looks like best I’ve ever seen!

@Dazercat I’ve never sought out a yam. I do know in Europe they have yams even though they might call them sweet potatoes.
They don’t have orange in the middle.

USA typical sweet potato :sweet_potato: has orange in the middle.
There are purple sweet potatoes with purple in the middle.

Something I have just recently learned about and even have one here is a Japanese sweet potato. Pictured below on the blue background.

It looks like a regular sweet potato, little redder and smoother skin. The first one I cooked I was surprised to see that it was white inside. Not only that it was deliciously sweet.

I will cook it soon and show you a picture.

I just googled the difference between sweet potatoes and yams and in this case the Internet is very very confusing and doesn’t even have it right half the time.

Including I think the FDA website they never said that the inside of the yam is white. They just avoided it.

So I may or may not be right on what I have said. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I’m going to include a comparison according to the person who made the comparison. And a picture of the Japanese sweet potato that is white and sweet inside.

My food is broccoli and apples on top of a bed of spinach it was great.

Bon appetit everyone.

Japanese sweet potato

9 Likes

This site is clearer and not as ambiguous as some of the other sites. Yay Pioneer Woman! Both this site and the hard to read chart I posted above say that the yams and sweet potatoes are often labeled wrong at the store.
@Dazercat

5 Likes

Getting my veg on this morning. Wheat muffin with melty queso fresco and a messy scrambled egg (Cholula of course) along with pretty fresh veg.

14 Likes

Lunch was a pancake with spinach that needed to be used up, blue cheese and fig and apple chutney with a few olives.

13 Likes

Thanks.
I Just noticed I forgot to post the pic of those mislabeled sweet potatoes and meh codfish :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

Felt like a slightly fancy lunch (read, tedious :smile:), keeping on the lighter side today. Ak Mak crackers (if you can find them, they’re great), scant amount of light cheese and herb spread, deli smoked turkey, veg, and a side salad, all dressed with some balsamic and my fancy olive oil. I feel special :blush:

12 Likes

This is one of my favourites :crazy_face: yummy

2 Likes

You mentioned making your own yogurt from fage 0%.
I am going to try this out Tomo in my yogurt maker.
:+1:

2 Likes

Oats. Trying non fat milk. Taste fine. And Smart Balance margarine on my sourdough. It ain’t butter but it’s fine. :blush:

12 Likes

12 Likes

Today has been a really good day for food in my house (for me, mostly). Not nearly every day is like this but I’m excited to be trying new things and coming up with dish ideas. Tonight was a brown rice based bowl with stir fried broccoli, cremini mushrooms and scallion whites, and marinated air fried tofu (I’m also learning how to use this new contraption). The marinade was also the base for a sauce and had soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, agave syrup, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and sambal oelek (chili sauce). Then topped with scallion greens, sesame seeds and spicy kimchi. Super pleased with the flavors and how the broccoli especially was crisp tender, the air fried tofu was fantastic, crisper on the outside, almost caramelized in flavor and had a nice chew on the inside. I like the idea of doing more “bowls,” not just brothy noodle bowls like I’ve been doing. A satisfying day :heartpulse:

14 Likes

Protein Bowl with tofu.
red pepper, edamame, asparagus, zucchini, yellow squash and cremini mushrooms sauteed with a teriyaki sauce and served over cauliflower rice and garnished with sesame seeds.

13 Likes

Basmati rice with peas, raisins and almonds topped with shredded cheese. Beetroot salad as side dish. Sounds a bit weird, tastes delicious :blush:

12 Likes