Foodies Unite #9 (trigger warning food) WHAT THE FOCACCIA?! THIS BUTTER BE IMPORTANT

Nice one il look forward to seeing the results :blush:

2 Likes

I love meatloaf but wonā€™t weigh in on recipe as Iā€™m a food snob sometimes. I will say itā€™s important to not over-mix because you can end up with dense and tough results. A meat thermometer and letting it rest covered afterward also helps not over cook it and allows it to hold the moisture. I hope all those who are interested give it a try!!!

8 Likes

I never post on this thread because I canā€™t cook but I wanna share a funny story about meatloaf.

When I was 15, I spent the summer with my older sister and her family to help out with their kids while they worked. Sis always left me instructions in the morning to prep dinner. This one day it was meatloaf. Followed all her instructions perfectly. But she didnā€™t specify what pan to use or that I had to shape it. So I used a regular baking pan and flattened it out like brownies. :joy: Who knows what I was thinking -maybe it would rise? It cooked faster than I expected.

Sis gets home from work and canā€™t believe what she sees. Sheā€™s calling me a moron saying ā€œwhat donā€™t you get? Itā€™s supposed to be a fucking loaf just like the name. I didnā€™t think I had to explain that part of the process.ā€

She cut it and tried to stack it, then put some tomato sauce on hoping her husband wouldnā€™t notice. He did!

We all still laugh about it to this day. :rofl:

18 Likes

Tea tonight is Chicken Chop Suey, Jasmine rice and a few vegetable spring rolls :yum:

20 Likes

I put a cup of applesauce in each and every loaf. Itā€™s the only specific thing, with meatballs and meatloaf. Youā€™re welcome.

5 Likes

Omg Lisa! Thatā€™s hilarious :rofl:

3 Likes

I always also put jalapeƱo in mine.
That sounds good w applesauce @EarnIt !

@Lisa07 story reminded me of something I did once upon a time.
I was using a new recipe that was a lot of cornmeal and cheese with meatloaf type of ingredients.
It was a delicious recipe.
It basically was cornbread with meatloaf ingredients in it and cheese.

I had made lots and lots of cornbread in the past and this was ā€œcornbreadā€.

I put all the ingredients together and then cooked it and cooked it and cooked it, waiting for it to turn into a bread, which, of course it never did because it had all the cheese in there and the meat.

I kept sticking my toothpick in there, waiting for it to come out clean, it was edible, and I learned that at a certain amount of time I was supposed to quit cooking it, that it was cooked. It was delicious.

It was cooked in a flat brownie/cornbread type pan like what Lisa was talking about.

A side part to this story relevant to talking sober is that I was drinking tequila drinks ( margaritas) and had to drive through six gates to get to where I was going to make this cornbread for the first time, for a big party. A catfish fry on a river.
The first gate I got out to open I had not put my car into park and so my car rolled into the gate, but it didnā€™t do it any damage.
I quit drinking about four years later.

The rest of the gates I did fine with and then I made the cornbread meatloaf.

6 Likes

I am all for the spice and will have to try that in meatloaf at some point :point_up:

1 Like

Iā€™m making meatloaf tonight and could not figure out where I got the craving. It was you guys. Iā€™ve maybe made meatloaf once in my life. Iā€™m swapping harissa for the recommended ketchup because I think ketchup is gross.

Its my night off so Iā€™m planning to make roasted brussell sprouts, meatloaf, and leek and sweet potato soup (last items inspo goes to @Tragicfarinelli)
Stay tunedā€¦

9 Likes

It used to be a super secret back in the 70s. I looked online and itā€™s all over. It is just so good about moisture. It also cuts the tang of tomato sauce.

Itā€™s the best texture ever. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Chicken curry cous cous With mushrooms, peppers, onions, mixed beans and peas delicious :yum:

17 Likes

Finally made black beans. The texture is so much better than canned.

13 Likes

Good GOD, I am an absolute sucker for pesto. Mama mia!

images

In high school I worked at a regional pizza chain, and every shift for dinner Iā€™d make a panini of chicken cutlet, pesto, roasted red peppers, and provolone :yum:

6 Likes

16 Likes

Apple pie - also made a butterscotch and a coconut cream for a fundraising event tomorrow

22 Likes

Loving the crimping skills on display! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thanks! Some turn out better than others

1 Like

Good old fashioned American cuisine :laughing:

16 Likes

I didnā€™t find anything I wanted at food truck friday so came home and reheated some pizza and cheese sticks

14 Likes

Taco Fridays :thinking: ?
Iā€™d eat these tacos any night.

Baked crispy tacos with a homemade chipotle crĆØme. This recipe called for cheese in the taco beef at the end. What a great idea. And a small can of chopped green chilies.
Messy and tasty

17 Likes