Gardening In Recovery

Oh thanks :blush: I will check it out :seedling::v:

2 Likes

Anyone remember the potted thyme plant I decided to plant in the ground last fall? Well, here is the before and after:

11 Likes

I looks great! Thyme and Sage are some of the few things that survive my winters. I just have to dig a path through the snow to get to them.

2 Likes

Our pecans are big this year because of all the rain we got! So ready for more to drop :yum:

11 Likes

I should plant some sage. It is actually kind of hard to find fresh sage at the groceries here. Good to know it survives the winter!

4 Likes

I love all the fall garden surprises when some things die back and I find other vegetables that are still thriving and were hidden underneath. A squash plant went crazy around the garden and I found this real long zucchini standing up underneath it in a back corner.

10 Likes

A few weeks back I noticed aphids had overcome my milkweed which is why no new caterpillars have been seen. After the lacewings showing up to eat the aphids and neem oil last week I saw a bunch of new baby caterpillars…I was so excited!!! The next day or so the lizards and wasps had eaten them all! I was so sad!! Today I checked and found one lone monarch caterpillar survivor and a monarch butterfly laying eggs!! Hoping to get this butterfly garden thriving again!!! I know it’s the circle of life, trying to be patient!

10 Likes

Oh my goodness. We had a hard frost last night so the tomatoes had to come off the vine but I didn’t realize how many I had! Yikes.

13 Likes

I had a similar thing happen, but mine were eaten by praying mantises!

Work in progress. Any tips on getting the pecans without breaking them?

8 Likes

From what I’ve read, snipping the ends first seems to be the trick to keeping them whole. Here’s a video with tools you probably have at home.

3 Likes

I got some nut crackers cause I thought it would be easier than it is. I’m almost done now. Gonna make a pie with my broken pieces

Thanks for the video! That looks so much easier than what I have going on. Live and learn :joy:

3 Likes

I harvested my lemongrass today. It was the tall grass in that beautiful blue pot I had that fell and smashed. Anyway, I read that you can freeze the lemongrass hearts and was so excited! I haven’t even cooked with it at all this season.

13 Likes

I have no experience growing or eating/cooking with lemongrass. What do you do with it?

2 Likes

Ah I kept forgetting to respond to you! I’ve seen lemongrass most commonly used in SE Asian cuisine. It also has loads of health benefits. It’s a grass, just like the name says, but the core of it at the base is soft and has oils that can be harvested, so you can buy lemongrass essential oils, or you can peel the woody outer layer and cut the lemongrass core into chunks. It’s very pungent and I love the flavor it adds to dishes, especially broths and stir fries. You usually take out the lemongrass chunks after cooking with it. I found this article that was a fun read:

3 Likes

Thank you, Rosa! Lemongrass sounds delicious. I’m now going to peruse some Cambodian recipes. “tons of lemony, gingery goodness”. Yum! :grinning:

2 Likes

The very last of the season’s fresh tomatoes. After the last harvest I stored all the green ones in the basement to hopefully ripen and I had decent luck. About a 1/3 rotted a bit and went to the compost, but I’ve got enough for eating this week and another batch of tomato purée.

11 Likes

Start of my first ever pineapples!
:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

15 Likes

Wow on your pineapples!!
@RosaCanDo yes on the lemongrass. I’ve grown, used and frozen lots. Had a lull with it for awhile and have a Plant now.
Your tomato crop absolutely amazing!
Now I see them in the hammock! You have a tomato thumb for sure!!

2 Likes

What kind of sage survives? And how cold do you get? My sages will mostly “survive” but lose their leaves. This past year it got down to 4*F and 1/2 the plants in pots survived. Thyme always has survived. I cover rosemary’s.