Gardening In Recovery

Potential for frost over night this week so got in a morning harvest

13 Likes

Vegetables!!! Have been gardening about 15 years. It’s my fave thing too!

3 Likes

The very last chile harvest. I’m getting ready to compost the plants and soil from my pots.

8 Likes

That’s super inspiring! I love the diversity and near self-sufficiency… :wink:

1 Like

My kids planted a butterfly garden with me for Mother’s Day. I’ve been known to kill a cactus so enjoying watching this grow. It’s a lot more work than I thought. Currently my milkweed is being overrun with aphids. I’ve been patiently waiting for the ladybugs to come in and eat them but they are investing all of my plants so just ordered some neem oil and will be tackling those little bastards this weekend!

3 Likes

Self sufficiency is the end goal! For now I’m on my father’s property and just using it as a space for learning and experimenting. He just gave the okay to tear up a corner of his field so I can do oats, wheat, and corn next year. Saving to buy my own land in the next few years and then some chickens can join the family!

@Lulu23 Aphids are the worst! I usually plant sunflowers to draw them up and away from my other plants. If they’re real bad I order and let loose some green lacewing.

4 Likes

And green lacewings are soooo pretty :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I was actually looking at those on Amazon. If the neem oil doesn’t work I’m getting those!

I’ve had really good luck with neem oil over the years.

1 Like

Just took a closer look and the lacewings are joining the party!! :clap::clap::clap::raised_hands::raised_hands:

2 Likes

That’s exciting! I hope you’ll let us know how it goes.

1 Like

That remains a dream of mine too! Makes a whole lot of sense and is pretty awesome… I was just going to mention chickens haha, the more independence the better, nice :v:

2 Likes

Vegetable season is finished by now, but there are still blooming and colourful spots in the garden :blush:

and guest chicken at my Mom’s - neighbours have some :grin:

10 Likes

I guess I was wrong about tomatillo and chile harvest being finished. And I’m making salsa tomorrow!

8 Likes

I spent a few hours working on end of season tasks and it was therapeutic but bittersweet. It’s all part of the season. My guy built me a sweet compost bin to empty out my pots and put the leafy greens and our kitchen scraps (finally! I hate throwing them away). Got all the chile pepper plants done, trimmed down the wild tomatoes and did a bunch of dead heading. Still sooooo many tomatoes on these plants that are looking gorgeous.

7 Likes

I have a real small garden so I grow a lot of plants indoors. I have more then 20 :hugs::heart_eyes::seedling::herb:

This is one of theme… it’s an Alocasia.

9 Likes

You should check out this thread:

It’s be the perfect place to post your houseplants! 🪴
P.S. Your Alocasia is beautiful

3 Likes

Just perennials here! I love lavender, lambs ear, coneflower and hydrangeas!

2 Likes

Coneflowers are one of my favorites. I ought to plants some…

1 Like

Ooooh yes come join the thread Rosa linked!!!
Nice plant!!!

2 Likes