Gave in on day #3

Super glad you’re here. I just came across this thread and I’m so happy to read everybody’s responses too. I need these constant reminders because I’ve only been sober 18 days and a part of me (only for small moments in times) starts to think “maybe I could just have one… Maybe I’d be able to control it now”. But I’ve tried this for one TEN years and I have to remember " I AM an alcoholic. I CAN’T have just one. It hits my brain differently and I just crave more and more. I also used alcohol to help me deal with stress and anxiety. I can tell you that after these 18 days without alcohol, I am way less anxious about many things that would normally stress me out to near panic attacks. Alcohol only amplified my anxiety, Which then led me to thinking I needed a drink to calm my anxiety…but it was just a viscous cycle. Thanks for sharing your post. So glad I read it tonight♥️ I wish you strength and guidance. Keep reading and keep sharing.

8 Likes

Blockquote I can tell you that after these 18 days without alcohol, I am way less anxious about many things that would normally stress me out to near panic attacks. Alcohol only amplified my anxiety, Which then led me to thinking I needed a drink to calm my anxiety…but it was just a viscous cycle.

Blockquote

Thank you, this really reassured me that hopefully DOES get better if I can stick it out. The 4 months stretch I did in 2020 feels like ages ago so i dont remember what anxieties I was facing then compared to now. I feel like they are worse now so I need to stay strong so the clarity comes again

3 Likes

It makes me happy to see you checking in Geneva. It might be advisable to avoid alcohol all together in the early stages, but on the other hand it is everywhere in our society and you seem to have a good grasp of what you’re doing. So keep going! For me the smell actually is one of the main deterrents. Disgusting! But that took a while. Enjoy your tea. Stay strong. Talk later. Hugs.

4 Likes

Thank you!:grin: I actually enjoyed the smell bc it was like fruity lol but i feel like its going to be too busy today that I wont have time to think about it, which is good!

Im happy i found this app and community. It hasnt even been a full week and you guys have been more helpful to me than my in-person therapist lol he’s helped me though, but I feel like its better here communicating with people who have gone EXACTLY what im going through

Thanks again everyone and I will keep checking in :blush:

4 Likes

I think we need to be honest with ourselves. Only we can decide if alcohol is a problem. Once we do that, we can decide what to do. Good luck, I’m right there with you.

1 Like

Welcome to our corner of the world, Geneva! I got sober using pretty much everything that was available, counseling, medication, AA, intensive outpatient treatment. This thread has a great listing of the very thing you are asking about - how do people get sober and stay sober and happy?

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

I will make it past this time! New week, fresh start :slight_smile:

also, I was really proud of myself yesterday! I had a great day at my show, and I was even offered alcohol and I refused so that’s a huge step for me and I’m excited to keep going with my sobriety❤

11 Likes

Good for you! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Good for you. I know how hard that must have been. Way to go.

1 Like

Thank you!

I actually had an epiphany:

the last 5-6 years, ive gotten close to 4 different people who were “pro drinking” and going out alot to get drunk. Im impressionable so I followed suit, which now I realized I would then go into benders of drinking and then take “breaks”. All these friendships have ended, and now I wonder if its the alcohol use that played into it and the friendships fell off because I took breaks and they only wanted to be my friend for the “fun times”. Hmmm.

My best friend doesnt drink and I feel like she kinda saves me in a way because when im with her I have a great time and I am.completely sober and dont have the inkling to get drunk to have a good time.

It feels good to piece things together to work on breaking the pattern ive been on for years :heart:

7 Likes

Great stuff Geneva! I hardly had any non drinking friends left after decades of drinking. And I did lose the drinking ones after quitting. You seem to be finding out the good lessons right here right now. Excellent work. Just keep going, one day and one life lesson at a time and nothing will stop you.

1 Like

Life always has a certain level of stress. It’s a normal part of life. If normal stress is our excuse to drink, what happens when something really stressful happens, like a job loss for both husband and spouse, death or serious illness of a close friend or family member? What happens when we find out our partner is leaving us for someone else?

If we can’t cope with the normal travails of daily life without trying to escape with drugs or alcohol, where do we turn when things get really and truly challenging?

Strong is what remains when we run out of weakness. Shed the weakness now, so you will be strong when it really matters.

2 Likes

Hi Miranda!

I wanted to update you :slight_smile: Im on day 6 and the ssme is happening to me too that my anxiety has lessened and I feel more focused!

Its crazy to think because I know alcohol is a mind altering substance when youre in the moment,but its crazy that even when im sober, my anxiety acts up and i feel like it does from my drinking habits.

But i just wanted to let ya know and that your words honestly inspired me to keep going towards my sobriety goals :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yay!!:tada:

13 Likes

Congratulations to 1 week!! Feels so good to wake up with no regrets, no empty promises and the day ahead. Be proud of your accomplishments!

3 Likes

Congrats on one week!! I’m only on Day 2 but reading through these posts and having people comment on mine has been an inspiration. Best of luck on getting through the weekend! We can do this!!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!! I think the first week was the hardest. Good for you!!!

1 Like

Congratulations to all in this group. I just reset my sobriety and just completed hour 1. Felt like congratulating myself with a drink! But am past that moment!

6 Likes

Thank you! Im glad I started this thread on me “giving up” early on, because the responses definitely helped me push through and stay on track. Really happy im starting and sticking to this change :slight_smile:

3 Likes

5 Likes