Gave in on day #3

Feeling super liberated this morning! My husband poured out the rest of the wine thats been in my fridge for the past month. I told him back then he could have the rest since I started my sobriety but he’s not a big fan of wine. It just feels good not to see it in my fridge anymore (it wasnt triggering me, but yeah just annoying to see everyday while I am on this journey) so its nice that its finally out of sight, out of mind❤

Alsooo, Thursday will be day 20 for me! :tada:

5 Likes

I tried to give up all together, i failed everytime. It wasn’t till I got a sponsor and worked the step program that the mental obsession was removed. I now have a daily reprieve to stay sober , " one day at a time"

:sunglasses:That’s wonderful, good to have a supportive spouse, honey, partner.

1 Like

It makes me happy to see you around and making your sobriety work Geneva, overcoming triggers and craves and moving forward. Excellent work, just keep going and nothing will stop you!

2 Likes

Thanks so much! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

10 more days until a month! It feels like it went pretty quick after the first week :slight_smile:

5 Likes

UPDATE: Although being at 25 days sober, i noticed that im an emotional rollercoaster lol extreme moments of anger or sadness. The only things at the moment that have been triggering my urge to drink…but I dont actually go through with it, which is good.

Im just feeling emotions heavily and just wanted advice on healthy ways to cope?

Also, craving sugar like mad. Eating sweets more than usual bc im using that as my “end of day relax reward” instead of wine. Is that ok? Feel like im gonna gain weight lol

3 Likes

I totally understand, you will be in my prayers.

1 Like

It takes time to get used to feeling the feels… If we ever get used to it that is. We used to drown them in drinking. Now we get to feel them instead, and process them, which was never possible when we drank.
Recovery is work. But it’s a work of love. Love for ourselves, love for ours, and love for the world at large. You’re doing great. Keep going.
As to sugar… Many freshly sober folks experience an increase in sugar intake. Take care. x

2 Likes

Treating myself to these sneakers ive been wanting for a couple of months :slight_smile: has been a rollercoaster these last 2 weeks with my emotions. Sooo many close to breaking points of my sobriety…but really proud of myself and shooting towards a more healthier future <3

9 Likes

I’m sorry I missed your original post. You sound a lot like me with drinking. I highly recommend the book Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol. It is half memoir and half research. I really found the research chapters helped me understand WHY I was addicted to wine and the memoir chapters helped me feel like I was not the only one. It’s my go to book.

You’re doing AWESOME. Keep at it.

2 Likes

Thank you!! I will definitely look into it! :slight_smile:

Big Congrats Geneva & I want a pic of those sneakers!

1 Like

Hahaha will do! :smiley:

1 Like

Nice! That sounds like an amazing, relaxing evening to just focus on you! We need those once in a while for our mental health! Nice job fighting the urge!!!

1 Like

Changed my tracker background for motivation❤

Had a really hard talk with my husband tonight on where things stand with us. It was long overdue. Pent up anger and resentment from me that I never expressed since I dont like confrontation. Stayed at a best friends house last night after work bc I didnt want to come home and blow up on him. He knew something was up.

My emotions are so crazy right now and its been so painful not numbing it all with wine. Literally the last 2 weeks have felt like hell bc life keeps throwing shit at me (hacked bank card, stress at work, husband asking me to help him with stuff constantly, friend break up) and im just so tired and crying alot. I know you guys said this all will pass at some point (33 days sober) but dang, this feels like an eternity :sweat: trying so hard not to relapse.

7 Likes

I know it’s hard. Keep talking it through and keep reaching out. That “wine witch” whispering - shouting! - at you is a liar. She’s a liar, and she’ll say anything to tempt you.

Play the track through to the end: you know exactly what will happen. It’s the same script every time with the wine: drink, regret, drink, regret. You are standing up and saying no. Not this time.

I believe in you Geneva. You have more strength than you realize. Just take it one day at a time and say, I don’t know about tomorrow, but I know I won’t drink today. It might sound weird but sometimes that helps: you don’t have to worry about the future. Just the present :innocent:

7 Likes

Thank you Matt. Im at work rn and just so sad, but holding composure more than monday night.my husband slept on the couch and we barely talked this morning. I uninstalled instagram bc I feel like I just need break from everyone. Planning on calling my therapist on my lunch break to make a appointment. Havent gone since dec because I thought i was better and didnt need help anymore…but right now im breaking so bad that i need to go back

2 Likes

Do you mind if I ask what happened / is happening with your husband? I don’t want to be nosy but it sounds like it’s really heartbreaking for you and I’d like to help carry some of that emotional weight if I can. We need help carrying our heavy feelings just like we need help carrying furniture when we move :innocent:

2 Likes

He’s just been realy bossy lately. I resell clothing online on the side and so does he. But he asks for my help on my days off work to help him take photos of his items with my phone since it takes better photos. Hes super particular with how his pictures turn out and then lashes out at me if I do it wrong. Then Monday he made a comment about my body that really hurt my feelings and I told him it hurt my feelings and he told me not to be so sensitive and it was a joke

2 Likes