GirlInterrupted: Running with Scissors ✂️

Waking up with a clear head to feed the 4 cats and 2 dogs while the coffee is brewing and appreciating all the love surrounding me. I know they just want breakfast :rofl: but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

And sleeping for 7-8 hours; without waking up 5 or 6 times in the middle of the night with a headache and the Sahara Desert in your mouth and needing gallons of water cuz your choking on sand.

6 Likes

Or being the wild bear who ravishes any food in the fridge and leaves crumbs and food all over the counter, maybe some finger marks in the cake …

8 Likes

To need less make up
Like myself in the morning mirror
Clear eyes
Good breath

8 Likes

@Girlinterrupted - your last point is a huge one for me too. I’m fortunate to have a strong relationship with my mum and I can be very frank with her, so she knows about the booze. She’s SO proud right now. Worth it :green_heart:

4 Likes

The more you eat the more sober you’ll get. NOT!!

3 Likes
  • Not being paranoid about being denied boarding an airplane.
  • Being present and actually learning something from conferences and conventions
10 Likes

I really needed to hear these today. I want to thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Day 32 what I love about sobriety is finally realizing the man in the mirror was worth saving!!!

14 Likes

Thank you, wow! That means so much to me :hugs:

1 Like
  • not having to feel the backlash of all the things I’ve been avoiding for days, weeks, months…
  • not having to avoid this last point.
  • less calories intake
  • being able to workout and actually make progress (never been in shape as when I did 198 days sober 2 years ago)
  • enjoying the little thing, like for real, not just because the little things are happening in moments where it’s socially acceptable to get drunk
  • dealing with guilt in a rational way, because I’m actually not guilty of something I did while drunk
  • learning new stuff and remembering them and sharing it
  • not having to lie, ever
  • not being afraid of growing up and thinking about moving forward in my relationships so I can become a father one day, without the fear of become a drunk who will abandon his family and ruin others life

Thanks for starting this thread

14 Likes

Excellent list! It’s hard to run out of things that are so awesome about sobriety!

3 Likes

No more throwing up every morning
Saving money not buying drinks
Doing more fun things with my kids
Remebering my conversations with people
Not acting like a fool cause I’m drunk
Sleeping better
Lost 65lbs :blush:
Feeling healthier

12 Likes

Wow 65 pounds that’s amazing! in how long? Good job :muscle:

3 Likes

Having my kids slowly come around and moving closer to healthy relationships with them. Seeing one of my daughters for the first time since I was hospitalized tomorrow. She would never consider seeing me if I were not sober.

5 Likes

Yes. I can relate to that one 100%. Not sure why that’s a thing with my drunk alter ego too.:see_no_evil:

1 Like

The one thing I love about sobriety is being able to see people turn their lives around from a broken shell of a human being to a vibrant, happy, loving productive member of society. When one is willing to do whatever it takes in a recovery program to maintain their sobriety, that’s when miracles happen in a person’s life.
I have seen emotionally and physically broken people come into a treatment program and then move to transitional housing, doing whatever it takes to maintain their sobriety actually acquire incredible jobs, get married, buy a house, buy a new car, and one of the most rewarding things is have child protective services return the children. (I have worked with couples that this exact scenario has happened)
Miracles happen everyday in recovery if a person truthfully makes a decision and is willing to do whatever it takes to stay clean and sober. The promises do come true. These are the things I love about sobriety.

5 Likes

I love this.

2 Likes

How long did the shakes take to get better if I may ask?

Great thread!

In sobriety I’m able to think clearer, and see the whole picture. Its allowed me to respond more and react less.

As a drunk my emotions control me and everything is magnified. When im angry, I’m extremely angry. I react poorly.

Sobriety allows me to respond, and Im able to process my emotions instead of run with them.

I’ve been able to establish my relationship with my kids again. Ive had to deal with people I have alot of anger towards gracefully. As a drunk I never would have accomplished this.

The kids have been easy. They just want a healthy positive influence in their lives. Sobriety gives me the ability to be that.

I was so scared walking into this. But its been way easier than I thought it would be. As a drunk I would have masked the fear with anger and said something shitty to the people I’m angry with and cried in my beer.

Poor me, pour me another drink.

Alot of time had passed since I was in their life, but its like we never missed a day when we are together.

It will keep getting better as long as I stay sober.

Thats my biggest gift of sobriety. It helps want to stay sober.

15 Likes

Yes sir. All that and so much more. Self respect, calm clear thoughts and the ability to appreciate how precious life is just to name a few more. Thanks for reminding me to remember to be grateful this morning.

3 Likes