GirlInterrupted: Running with Scissors ✂️

I’ll chime in too. I had a medically assisted detox this last time and they lasted around 3 days. In the past I think a week or a bit more. However, once withdrawal is over, you’ll be so incredibly grateful. Welcome to the forum. Glad you’re here.

I was drinking 4 or more tall boys a day. I’m 56 days sober now. I dont shake like I did but still can see it happen sometimes.

2 Likes

Not waking up in the middle of the night with a headache so bad that I have to try and decide do I want to get out of bed and get in the shower or just lie here and suffer. After debating for many painful minutes getting up and staggering to kitchen to get two large cold bottles of water and bringing them into the shower and praying the hot water will take away the headache. Sitting on shower bench with hot water running down me while I shake in pain. Drink my bottles of water and pray for headache to go away. Then sit by myself at 3 or 4 in the morning in my chair in the dark with and ice pack on my head praying for headache to just go away.

And to be stupid enough to do it again another day.

Ya drinking is so much fun.

6 Likes

Yes! And that reminded me of another thing I love. Not waking up multiple times during the night gauging how much time I have until I have to be productive for work. Lying to myself saying that I would be. The headaches. Ugh!! Don’t miss that a bit.

3 Likes

Nothing like doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

1 Like

I just wrote something similar to this. Mornings are great now! “ I really miss hangovers”… said no one, ever…

4 Likes

I was thinking it again today. I really love mornings when I’m sober. It’s my favorite time of day. Second is when I go to bed at night. I have a pretty view from my apartment and it’s so dreamy for me living here. Being present to enjoy it is priceless.

6 Likes

Ahhhh!! So true!! Agreed agree agree with everything you’ve said here Kevin! Sobriety really does bring out the best in us, collectively and individually :smiley::muscle::sparkles: sober life = our best life, for sure!! I am grateful for knowing this, everyday. And grateful to be here in this community with you.
I love that I have found a place and a people that are so full of kindness and compassion :pray::heart:

7 Likes
  • Eating healthier
  • Meal prepping
  • Facebook ads switching from alcohol delivery to green juice ads :grin:
8 Likes
  • feeling happy

• not having to lie all the time

• not acknowledging the embarrassment of someone noticing my cuts and scars

5 Likes

Doing what I need to do, and not being too drunk to be responsible. I needed to pick up a prescription yesterday. My pharmacy is a few blocks away and it was cold and rainy. Drunk Beth would have not only put it off, but likely would blow it off altogether.

I may not be 100% mentally yet, but being sober allows me to do what I need too, even if I’m not totally excited about it.

5 Likes

I sleep better.

6 Likes

Yes to all of these!!! I’ve also found that I’m generally more motivated to take care of myself. For example when I was hungover…bag of chips for breakfast! No more of that!!!
Also more serious things like I used to not go to the doctor for serious pains or discomfort. Tomorrow I’m finally going to the physiotherapist for my knee and next month I’m getting a painful wisdom tooth removed. Things that are totally normal to some people are such an achievement to me and I’m proud of getting it taken care of :slight_smile:
It all starts with self care and realizing that you are worth the time and effort <3

7 Likes

That made me giggle :smiley: it’s so true though!! Cant believe I put with hangovers for so long :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I love cleaning my teeth at night just before getting in bed. Usually I would be way past being able to clean my teeth, usually being passed out on the sofa, so I actually only did it once a day… Gross :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

great thread
Things i love about being sober from meth…

• being able to breathe deeply
  • more confidence & ambition
  • actually being able to remember things, and not having to pretend i remember things
  • being there for my girlfriend & being less selfish
  • being able to remember how to play the piano and not having to start again each time
  • not letting my friends & business partner down
  • just being in control of myself
  • not wasting money on drugs
7 Likes

Being able to put on makeup without violently shaking.

4 Likes

Oh wow, how can I forget about the shakes. Being able to write and sign my name again!

3 Likes

I can fall asleep without passing out.

7 Likes

Being present in my twin 9 yr old daughter’s lives.
Walking with integrity
Savoring God’s grace

6 Likes