Gym selfies, weightlifting & fitness šŸ”„ (TW gym attire. Keep rules #6 and #7 in mind) (Part 1)

I have a pair but they arenā€™t metal. Lol I got the Walmart brand

Apparently Iā€™m the only person in TS thatā€™s not in a gym already, so Iā€™m going to ask for some advice for a broken down old guy.

I had a gym membership last year right before Covid hit, and had to stop as the gym was completely closed. But Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll try again. Might take a year to reach the shape I want to be, but I have to start sometime.

The years of drinking have left me with a few limitations. I cracked the same ankle twice. So, leg press on a machine, yes. Squatting with free weights? Not happening. Slipped on ice last Christmas and lost some mobility in my shoulder as it didnā€™t heal right. Bench, yes. Overhead, no.
Also my liver is swollen, so I probably shouldnā€™t do crunches.
While I really need to get in shape for hiking Tahoe (I was going to hit the treadmill wearing all of my gear) Iā€™d love to do a total reshape.

Thank you for any ideas you can share.

3 Likes

Just go and do what you canā€¦ Maybe hit full body 2 days a week and hit the treadmill a few times a week. Start slow and build your way up. I would sign up for a few lessons with a trainer if you have the means.

1 Like

I agree with @Dan531 to work with a trainer if youā€™re able or even a physical therapist. Coming back from injuries itā€™s really beneficial to have someone assess imbalances, range of motion, etc and be able to make suggestions for areas to focus on and discuss modifications.

1 Like

Agreed about the physical therapy suggestionā€¦ if you have health insurance, it should be covered.

If you want to reshape your body, lifting heavy weights will get the job done but you might want to get a physical with your Dr and blood tests done. They can recommend a physical therapist as well.

I am a 55 yo retired Marine. Over the last 25 years I have swung between being super fit, and an overweight sedentary blob, and back again. When I decided to quit drinking, I was 50 lbs overweight.

I started walking, while listening to podcasts, more to help with early sobriety, than for fitness sake. Still, I lost a few lbs and my cadio improved.

After 3 months I joined a martial arts school, training in Krav Maga and Thai Kickboxing. I barely made it through the warm up during my first class. I started doing some home workouts I found on www.darebee.com and later I built a fight gym in my garage.

My point is start from where you are, and do a little bit more each day. If your goal is to hike (I used to be an avid AT hiker), start with hiking your neighborhood during the week, and do one progressively longer workup hike each weekend. Start by carrying your water in a daypack and then work up to your planned load out. This will gradually condition you, as well as break in your shoe, feet, knees and back. Too far, to heavy, too early is a recipe for injuries such as shin splints.

Most of all, just get after it.

3 Likes

DL, back, bi day

11 Likes

Some homade pieces for my gym

Neutral grip pullup handles

Landmine attachment

Lat pulldown bar.

They charge so much for this shit why not make it?

9 Likes

How do yā€™all ever remember to take selfies?!
I meant to today and completely forgot :woman_facepalming:t2:

Deadlifts today! My favorite!! but hanging at my dads house for todays workout so canā€™t go very heavy. Minimal options for adding weight so added a resistance band for a bit of extra intensity. Knee isnā€™t giving me difficulties today so did some sprints in the humidity down the road. Hopefully I will be able to get back to an actual gym again soon. Small town gym policy is real weird right now.

1 Like

The struggle is real

1 Like

Thanks to all for the advice! The worst part of starting is being 30 pounds fatter than I was this time last year! :grimacing:
While a physical therapist is beyond my means now, my gym does have personal trainers available. Iā€™m definitely going to start with cardio; my biggest barrier has always been running out of steam before I got any significant lifting done.
Going to see tomorrow afternoon if I can get back into the same gym.

3 Likes

Monday, international bench day. 275 felt heavy as fuck not feeling very strong today.

Goals on lifts are as follows in lbs.

Bench: 1.5 x body weight for 1 rep
Squat: 2 x body weight for 1 rep
OHP: 1 x body weight
DL: 2.5 x body weight

Those numbers would be great for a 43 y.o. ex drunk. Iā€™m closing in on all of them.

5 Likes

Back to the gym. Damned the elliptical is tough after not getting on it for a couple of months.

8 Likes

Thereā€™s differing schools of thought on this. I used to also pause at the bottom. Last I heard, itā€™s bad for the knees. Knees are a weak point of mine, always have been. Some bone thing. Somehow itā€™s going better in a smooth up and down for me, with a minimal stop.
How do you all do it? :thinking:

Anyway, loving the post, especially

this.

@Dan531 pretty darn impressive goals.

Rock on everyone. :v:

3 Likes

Iā€™m running a 8/6/3 right now for a change up. I actually think the German volume training would be to much volume for me at my age. I just donā€™t recover like i use to. I figure i have a couple more years to chase strength before my inevitable decline :pensive:

1 Like

Yup, building up muscles with lifting has been the single most beneficial thing for my chronic knee pains. My kneecaps are somehow slightly deformed and the doc told me at like 20 Iā€™m gonna get arthritis soon. Dick never mentioned I could strenghten until then though! Iā€™m always keeping an extra eye on knee safety and what not. Iā€™m a lot more mobile and less pained now than I was even as a teen. :fist:
Had to look up GVT. Man that sounds intense. Does it not take you forever each session? Probably fun though.

Iā€™m a fangirl for reverse pyramid and wanna get married to it one day. :gem:

2 Likes

No leg drive but yes standing.

I just went back down to my gym and did 10x10 at 185 benchingā€¦ weā€™ll see what i feel like recovery wise, maybe Iā€™ll through a week like that in one every couple months

1 Like

Ever try the slingshot? I use that sometimesā€¦ Iā€™m stuck at 295 thatā€™s fucking annoying as shit

1 Like

Itā€™ll help with handling heavier weight, Iā€™m a fan of breaking it or and working with it every now and then

1 Like

Did my first Spartan race this past Saturday. Leading up too it I couldnā€™t help but get emotional at the fact that the active alcoholic version of myself never wouldā€™ve even dreamed of doing something so physically strenuous. Since my last relapse, I decided to start working out as hard as I would drink. I would go on week long binges, and would be even skip meals to be able to drink more. Now I work out 1 to 3 times a day when possible, Iā€™m more mindful of what I eat, and Iā€™m constantly pushing myself little by little everyday. Iā€™ve lost 50+ pounds since I started working out like a madman, and I donā€™t plan on stopping anytime soon. Working out has truely played an important role in my sobriety, and will continue to be an important part of my life. Iā€™m in the healthiest shape Iā€™ve ever been, and still plan on getting even healthier. One day at time :heart:

13 Likes