Hey, I’m new here

Hey, I’m MJ.
I have been creepin’ around on this forum for a while and just decided today to sign up. I am not new to sobriety. I have had a few sober periods in the past, all have ended the same way- denial.

In the past I kept my sobriety a secret. I never told anyone because I was ashamed of who I had become. I was ashamed and afraid. Afraid that people would look at me different, afraid that I’d become a joke, afraid that if and when I failed I’d let people down and they would eventually give up on me. But I wasn’t serious. I was playing around with the idea of sobriety, but I wasn’t ready…

This time is different, this time I’m ready. I can’t explain what changed… Maybe it was that I was sick of buying shooters to hide in my purse to sneak all day long. Maybe I was sick of the fact that I HAD to buy the damn shooters to begin with to not feel sick and shaky… Maybe I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I lost almost everyone… In the end I hated drinking, and hated myself for drinking but I just couldn’t stop. Then one day I did. I don’t want that li(f)e anymore. That is not who I am/ who I want to be. So this time I’m deciding to be open, I’m not hiding anymore.

So here I am…

21 Likes

Feel better?? I hope so pal. Sometimes just getting that stuff out into the universe can help.

I’m glad you are here. Keep coming back!!

5 Likes

Welcome! I am very new myself. I just signed up on Tuesday. I just got so tired and bored with myself. The way my life was going and feeling down and mad all of the time. I knew I needed to change and the first step is quitting what is bringing you down to begin with. I’m glad you took the courageous first step in coming here. Lots to learn and read. I find this a great help. I know you will too :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do. Honestly, it’s my first time being remotely open and putting anything out there and I’m afraid of sharing too much…

1 Like

Welcome…awesome community here! I can definitely relate to your story in sooo many ways. Keep checking in…and glad you’re here!
#sobrietyrocks :pray:

3 Likes

You don’t need to be afraid we’re all here to help you x

5 Likes

Thank you! :hugs:
I’m glad to be here!

1 Like

Welcome your very welcome to join our loving caring community,stick around,read the threads that speak to you share your highs and lows,never suffer alone again

3 Likes

I’m new too. New here, but not new to trying to quit drinking. I am also happy about not buying shooters for my purse / gym bag! Anyway, I loved reading your post. I feel like I have to think about the fact that I’m thinking of this as “quitting for a while” or “taking a break” - which probably counts as denial, as you’ve phrased it. Anyway, I’m happy to you!

3 Likes

Welcome MJ! It’s nice meeting you :innocent: Recovery is a journey and it’s full of surprises, and it’s great to have you here walking with us. Have a look around & read some of the stories, take a look at the memes, and laugh and smile and reflect.

You’re a good person and you matter and your journey matters. It’s good to have you here! Looking forward to seeing more of you :innocent:

5 Likes

Welcome, I’m glad you are here. This is a great place to read, learn and engage with others. Keep coming back :bird:

3 Likes

Hello MJ and welcome!

2 Likes

We got your back, it’s a wonderful day when we wake up and go, Today is the beginning of my life.

4 Likes

Welcome MJ.

I’ve been on here close to a month and I have highly enjoyed the discussions and support. Share what ever is on your mind and I’m 100 % certain it will inspire, intrigue and be relatable to someone who needed to hear it. Enjoy and learn!

6 Likes

Welcome to our community! Everything you wrote sounds like it came out of my mouth, shooters and all(that’s all I ever bought so I could hide them). Stuck in a cycle of drink-blackout-sleep-hangover-drink. Id never tell anyone when I was ‘quitting’ bc I never actually could. But then one day, I dont know why, like a switch flipped in my brain, I was done. I got this app and havent looked back. I’ll have 90 days on Tuesday. All I can say is read, read, read. And actually listen and apply any suggestions. Its changed my life. I’m actually living now. Not a shell of who I’m supposed to be. Being open and honest will set you free. You can do this. We’re all here to help. All the best :pray:

5 Likes

Welcome MJ! My name is Jim. Stick around… there’s great people here with a wealth of information, wisdom and knowledge. Don’t be a stranger. Focus on your journey. You CAN do this and we ALL got your back! Read, post repeat. I too, was like you. Had my periods of sobriety and my share slip ups. 180 days ago I finally hit point break and had enough. I wish you continued luck on your journey.

3 Likes

Totally agree! Most people are cool about it. Anyone who isn’t, well that says more about them than anything else 🤷

Had a meeting in a bar I used to drink at a couple of nights ago, bumped into someone who I haven’t seen for aaages. Mentioned I was coming up to two years teetotal and the first thing he said was nice one, bet you’re loving having that extra cash.

3 Likes

Hi @Little_But_Fierce (and @Kels and @Clara) :wave::blush:

I put together a little collection of threads that I find really useful, which you might too

Look forward to seeing you all around!

4 Likes

Welcome in. I’m little over a month new and I get your story. Always quit for a few days or a week or so and everybody new I’d be back to drinking again. And they were right. I’m afraid to go to A.A. but the people on this app are very helpful and just nice to be around if you know what I mean.

BTW I am not knocking aa or na I think they are great. And if I feel like I need it I’d go.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to put together a thread to help out our newest friends!

@Little_But_Fierce, @Kels, @Ciara, I’ll tell you this. Every thing is gonna be alright, and you will be able to stop drinking. Believe this on faith alone, without evidence. All is well and all shall be well.

Blessings on your houses :pray: as you begin your journey.

4 Likes