Hi everyone, I'm new here

Hi everyone, I am new here, downloaded the app yesterday.

Little about my story…

Yesterday I woke up telling myself I was done…done drinking. I have 2 young children to live for. I’ve drank beer (4-12 ) a night for the past 5 years. Sometimes on weekends I drank even more.

I have no idea what to expect, withdrawal wise. Any insight would be helpful!

So far yesterday was my 1st 24 hours, I felt good until I laid in bed and my anxiety went pretty high. I think I only slept 3-4 hours of broken sleep.

This morning I woke with sweats, nausea and anxiety. If I keep myself going mom stop the anxiety isn’t too bad, it’s just when I sit down, then I worry. My cheeks are flushed today as well.

Not sure what to expect I’ve read withdrawal stories and they’re freaking me out! Not sure if I’m in the mild or moderate category.

Thanks everyone in advance!

4 Likes

Welcome! Glad you made it here.
I have noticed everyone has a bit different withdrawal symptoms. For me I was a daily drinker as well. My withdrawal were sleeplessness, headaches, and some shaking for the first two weeks. I used melatonin for a few days and I was able to get on more of a sleep schedule. Now I use breathing techniques to fall asleep. Be careful and pay attention to your body though. Alcohol withdrawal can be the worst out there if the right steps aren’t taken. If you start to get worse the best bet is to go to a detox center. I hope you start to feel better soon and it gets easier the further we get away from the last drink.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply!

My withdrawal came in the form of crying all the time, insomnia and bouts of anger. I was an emotional wreck. I didn’t get nausea or sweats, but I did wake up a few times feeling hungover and in a haze. I found out later this is pretty normal.

Welcome @Amber2313, it’s hard in the beginning, but so worth it. :blush:

3 Likes

I had a triple addiction that I had to withdrawal from so I’m not the best person to give advice on this. Keep your blood sugar up, even with cheese or a soda is all you have. Sweats and anxiety are normal and can roughly last 3 to 5 days but not in severity.

3 Likes

Welcome on a new journey! You will find lots of support here and make sure to check in daily. I find it’s very helpful to read stories, tips, struggles posted by others, it will give you strength. I was closet drinking a bottle a day (for years) and realized I no longer looked like myself, acted like myself or felt good. It started slowly…cutting back to 1 glass only. That went well…for a few days, then right back to a bottle. I kept saying it’s Ok, I’ll start again tomorrow, a reset. And then tomorrow and then the next day. I had to stop or I’d end up killing myself. I’ve been sober for 5 days and that’s the longest in I don’t know how long. I’m realizing it isn’t so bad not drinking, I feel better in the morning and in general. All the best and don’t give up.

5 Likes

My withdrawals were manageable. I was irritable, emotions were somewhat out of control. My biggest issue was my sleep patterns. It took me 3 weeks to get more than 3 hours a sleep in a continuous block of time.

I think at my 3 week mark is when my body chemistry balanced completely out. I control my emotions now, I have drive and self motivation. Where before I had to literally reach deep down inside to just go out of my habitual routine.

Don’t cave in, the first few days are difficult but you can do this!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ve been crying a lot too! Didn’t know why haha that makes sense!

3 Likes

I’m new here too! I used to drink and black out all of the time. I decided I needed to change when my boyfriend broke up with me. That and it’s not like it made me feel good anyway. I want my life to be fulfilling and that just wasn’t happening. I want to really change. I want things to be different.

6 Likes

Welcome @Betterbee

2 Likes

Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Welcome @Betterbee!!!

1 Like

Hi @Amber2313 and @Betterbee and welcome to the forum. :wave: Congrats on taking the first big step.

Note that this forum is also available from any browser at talkingsober.com

Here is a useful thread on getting through early recovery:

(Surviving Alcohol Withdrawal/Early Sobriety Techniques)

And recovery-related links that members have posted:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

2 Likes

Welcome aboard! I too am new here and in the last couple days have felt a shit load of support from the fine folks in this community. Many thanks for sharing your story. Being a parent as well, and many others of us too, we all share the same desires to be better for us and our little ones. We both deserve it and we’re all here and have your back. Congrats and welcome homie, it’s all uphill from here!

4 Likes

I am also struggling with this same situation. Same about of drinks, more on the weekend, 3 kids…I’ve reset my counter like 25 times hoping today will be different
My withdrawal comes with anxiety and irritability like a crazy person!! Night sweats and going number 2 a lot :expressionless:
I wish I had SOME advice to offer but I’m in the same struggle but I can tell u post as much as you can on here it does help!!

3 Likes

Welcome and good luck. As others have said, the first few days can be different for different people. Remember that whatever happens it is because you are on a journey to a better place. If it helps, you can treat yourself to just about anything but booze or drugs. You want chocolate? Ice cream? Pizza? Chips? Go for it these first few days and weeks and do it guilt free…! There will be time later to sort out a better diet. And keep patting yourself on the back. You are doing something great.

4 Likes

Extra sharp white cheddar cheese is all I wanted to eat for the first week. And I slept a lot. Miserable. Moody. Anxious. And all I wanted was that damn cheese :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile: I am new to this as well and I have had so much support from so many strong people.

2 Likes

@Needhelp1128 you’re so cheesy :laughing:

4 Likes

@Melrm @Needhelp1128 Did someone say cheese!?..

2 Likes