How to Quit Drinking without Alcoholics Anonymous

https://www.google.com/amp/m.wikihow.com/Quit-Drinking-without-Alcoholics-Anonymous%3Famp%3D1?client=safari

5 Likes

I don’t want to sound like a hater but I’ve never been a fan of AA. Mainly because of the religious aspect. I had a 4 year run sober run and didn’t use AA or anything like that so it is possible without it. If people need it then yes do whatever it takes but personally just not a fan.

4 Likes

The more research I do, I started to take pieces from each one and implement them for my recovery. I try to post useful information everyday. Sometimes I’ll post stuff I don’t find value in, but someone else may in their unique situation!

1 Like

I have begun AA. I personally love it. Im not super religious, but some groups discuss it a lot and others not much at all. I went to a dif meeting in my county each day to figure out which one suited me best. Its all a personal choice and each person should do what works for them!

4 Likes

I believe in looking into all systems and taking what works for me, and ignoring (but not hating on) what doesn’t. I am an atheist but find my AA meetings and the people there great, and some of the reading material even very helpful. I understand how other kinds of AA meeting might be off-putting. In any case @Shattered_dreams thanks for the link - very good read. You may want to add it under this topic:

4 Likes

@Shattered_dreams Some of this talk of the animal vs human brain reminds me of a quote, can’t find the exact except but I found a paraphrase below. Years ago I would read a lot of “pop” science books, especially on evolution and “evolutionary psychology”. Richard Dawkins was my favorite author - I was practically a fanboy!

One idea was that sugar and fat addiction (weight gain, etc) could be partly explained by a “mismatch” between the modern age we live in, and the prehistoric age we evolved for. I think a similar argument could be made for alcohol addiction:

= = = = = excerpt = = = = =

Fat and Sugar

Animal fat and sugar are highly nutritious, but they were relatively
scarce in the African savannah where our ancestors lived. To get animal
fat it was necessary to kill an animal or scavenge one that had already
been killed. To get sugar it was necessary to find ripe fruit. Both of these
were complicated - and sometimes dangerous - tasks. In a situation
like this, it would have been highly adaptive to have strong desires for
fat and sugar.

On balance, they would tend to consume more of these nutritious foods,
and so they would be more likely to pass on their genes - including their
genes for liking fat and sugar.

Environmental Mismatch

Fat and sugar are bad for you if you eat too much of them, but in ances-
tral environments these resources were scarce, so there wasn’t much
chance of consuming too much. Today, however, we have supermarkets
and fast-food restaurants to cater for our evolved tastes. Fat and sugar
are no longer difficult to find.

We were designed to live in such a different environment, and this
"environmental mismatch" is the source of many current problems.

@JohnSee I think there is a lot of truth to that through evolution. The beast brain wants to survive and it will bring certain things to the attention of the human brain, but alcohol goes one step further and stimulates receptors in the brain, which creates the need.

Beast brain sends information to the human brain in response to what has been prioritized. Beast brain actually is doing all the survivable stuff, human brain yeah go ahead. I’ll use this analogy; I assume you have driven a car. You drive a car through a busy city one point to next. Your there, but you have zero recollection of the trip! Another point, who is in charge when you blackout, when your a dick and your fighting? Bingo! Beast brain! He’s calling all the shots f’n up your life. Beast brain likes to be in control. Why not trick you to drink. (That’s really just my personal take on it). The way I rationalise it.

2 Likes

Its not a religious program just so you know. AA is the only proven solution to the problem of alcoholism/addiction. Hope you find freedom in whichever path you choose.

3 Likes

The best advice I’ve gotten from and outside of the program is take what’s helpful and leave the rest. I use it as a support group mainly. I have found believing in a power greater than myself but I don’t use religious terms to acknowledge it. I think of it as a better frame of mind than what I had before. However you feel best and most productive in staying sober that works for you I say keep it up!

1 Like

The religious aspect can be a little annoying, especially if you’re not religious. Many AA meetings are also held in a church. That doesn’t help. Prayers are part of most AA meetings. Okay, this sounds like a religious service. Oh, there’s also an offering, although they don’t call it that.

1 Like

Yes, AA is kind of a religious program despite what people say.

1 Like

Only proven solution? Mind showing the facts behind this claim? Cite your source.

3 Likes

I’m with @Thomas_Wallace - that’s one heck of a claim @DontDoDrugsMmmk!

1 Like

Just personal experience. I’ve attended numerous AA meetings. Religion or no religion, they are still quite helpful. Big emphasis on alcoholism as a spiritual problem, which it probably is for many addicts.

2 Likes

This is strictly what I observed. No offense to anyone.

I agree. Good insights. Use what works for you.

1 Like

I have never been to AA, not my thing. I have read a lot of articles, blogs, books, medical studies, big book, and followed and participated in a variety of online forums…and taken bits and pieces from all of it. We are all individuals and learn and grow differently. Times change, knowledge grows, and what was once the only solution, can become just one component for many people. Do what works for YOU.

4 Likes

I hear you.

I’ve stopped going. I was a firm believer in the beginning. Doing my own thing for now, but confident that I can go back if I need to!

Interesting read, thanks.