I relapse yesterday with alcohol... im so mad at myself

I relapse yesterday, i feel bad about it and dont remember conversation i had with my neighbour and landlord. My life is unmanageable. But im not giving up on sobriety. Back at day 1 today! I woke up early and will be continuing my routine that i set for myself… recovery is hard but im worth it.

20 Likes

Yes you are.:blush:

1 Like

It’s good not to beat yourself up over it. Anytime I relapse, I write down the reasons I did, and why I don’t want to again. It helps me to identify what I’m thinking when it happens, so I can go back and read it when I’m thinking of drinking again. I think it’s helped me. Best of luck! You’ve got this! :grinning:

5 Likes

It happens. Glad you are back on track today.
I am new at this so don’t feel I can offer much advice. Except this. Let go of yesterday.

3 Likes

In November of last year, I had my final relapse. I made a giant ass out of myself.(again)

It gave me the willingness to focus on recovery and change behaviors I wasnt willing to change previously.

It was the best thing that happened! Now I have been sober for over a year, and I feel great!

Wishing the same for you!

12 Likes

My story echoes Jason’s relapsed for an open bar wedding. Finally it clicked and I am sober over a year as well. What worked for me was giving up. Saying I can’t do this alone. I really immersed myself in our community here. Read and read again and posted when it struck me.(There are people here from all over the global. Some with similar stories as yours. Find them and connect.) Prayed alot and focused on hobbies both old and new. It IS possible. Be kind to yourself and focus on YOUR journey. I didn’t use AA but I’m not opposed to it. I’m from the school of “Whatever it takes.” switch up your routine, dust yourself off. You CAN and you WILL. We are ALL rooting for you! I wish you continued luck on your journey.

12 Likes

I went thru that cycle. Glad you are back on the sober path.

So, what happened? What can you do different? Relapse happens, but it doesnt have to.

5 Likes

@Judy111, I was sober for many years then relapsed. My boys were 10 and 7. Although we are encouraged to get sober for ourselves, I found really focusing on sobriety because of my children helped. I joined an online program, Women for Sobriety, and became part of a Mom’s group. Really helped. So, my advice to you is to find sober moms to talk to. I haven’t searched this forum for moms with young children (mine are grown) but I bet they are out there. You CAN do this!

5 Likes

Thank you everyone!!! What a blessing to have you all routings for me and supporting me. To be honest i only relapse because someone got it for me. Its my fault i let them. I should have said no. Its the hatdest thing to do, is saying no. I think im gonna isolate myself from peoples for a while.

4 Likes

Hi Judy, I hear you, relapse is always disappointing. But I can also hear how much you want to be sober & how much it means to you.

Can I ask: have you considered joining a sober support meeting? There are many options, both online and in person. I know as a single mom with a young child it can feel challenging to attend meetings while also caring for the kid (my mom was a single mom as well). However there are many meetings that are open for parents to bring their kids; ask around, there are women’s groups and mixed groups, the key thing is there are options where you can bring your boy with you. There is nothing to be ashamed of, and he will see his mom taking healthy steps for herself - which is healthy for him too - and he will learn from that :innocent:

Here are some online ones:
Online meeting resources

And here’s a list of more recovery programs (many have online options):
Resources for our recovery

It helps so much to walk the path with people who have walked it before. You will find meetings help you feel less alone and you’ll make friends and connect with people who understand you.

4 Likes

Shake it off, learn from it what can I do differently next time. Slips are often a part of recovery and offer us an opportunity to grow :pray: song suggestion SIXX AM Accidents can happen

1 Like

One time I relapsed because I thought I could moderate. I learned I couldn’t. One time I relapsed because I was mad at the guy I was dating. That didn’t change anything. One time I relapsed because the wine smelled so good. I woke up feeling like crap and hated myself. I can go on and on about my relapses and what I learned from each one. Sometimes I think hitting rock bottom is running out of excuses to drink! Try to learn from the relapse. Check it off and you’ve already picked yourself back up! No drinks today :+1:

7 Likes

I’m relapsing currently i get the mad part belive me but its just who we are. Were gonna struggle. If you need to talk hit me up I could use it to. Life isn’t perfect t neither shall we be.

2 Likes

Hi @TheDrunk, welcome! What triggered your relapse, if you don’t mind me asking? :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile:

It was talking with a friend and he brought it to me! He bought it and then i drink it… i was in a situation where i could not say no!

I dont know how to react to those situations

2 Likes

Yet here you are, working toward sobriety again!! Good for you for keeping trying.

4 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Saying no is something we can learn through practice. (You’ve got a five year old child so I assume you know how to say no :joy: ) Often in recovery we realize that for years and years we’ve been trying to run, living in escape from… something. As we work our recovery we “excavate” our identity, and we learn who we really are. Often we find we’re someone who lives a healthy, fulfilling life sober - but we never realized that before.

The ability to say no will come. The first question though is actually: who are you? What is behind the running you’ve been doing into addiction? And next, what are some of your interests and fulfilling activities? You will find there are many interests you can do, sober, which are satisfying and uplifting.

One trick that helps with people offering alcohol is to carry around some Perrier with you, or some other non alcoholic drink, and that way no one offers you a drink because you’ve got one already. Or, if you’ve just arrived at someone’s house, make some general excuse - your choice of reason, maybe “my doctor said ____” - so that you can ask for an alcohol free beverage.

1 Like

My slip was similar. I placed myself in a situation i didnt know how to say no.

I’ve learned how to set boundaries better. I have a much better understanding of the first drink is the most important drink to avoid.

I avoid drinking scenarios as much as possible.

Ive said no thanks enough times now that it feels normal…

I even said no thanks to the same person I felt I couldnt say no to when i did my final relapse.

Todays a holiday. Drinking scenarios are everywhere today. I already have a plan to avoid them as much as possible and have a great sober day!

3 Likes

One day at a time. Good luck on your journey.

1 Like