I'm back again after deleting this app 😔

Was doing okay then drank. I thought i could handle just having a few again and did. I didn’t get crazy and black out or do anything stupid as usual. I deleted this app though. That was stupid. I ignored people reaching out to check up on me. I drank all day today and feel so physically sick. I threw up a lot. I feel like the world biggest ass hole. I so badly want to stay sober. Why can’t i just stop?

26 Likes

Addiction loves to isolate us… we’re much weaker alone. Stopping the drink is only part of sobriety. A bigger part is putting work into your sobriety everyday. We can feed our sobriety or feed our addiction. Now you know you can’t just have a few, lesson learned. I’m glad you’re back trying again. Never give up. Best wishes

21 Likes

Ahh, the good old “just a few” thought. It can be so persuasive can’t it? I had to give myself a good talking to many times, reminding myself of my long history of failing to drink ‘just a few’. And then the odd times I miraculously drink moderately, it was torture and a ticking timebomb to when I would get ‘properly’ drunk this time.
I have also deleted apps or left groups. But we understand and are here for you. It will click one day.

17 Likes

Hi there, welcome back.
what are you doing to work on your recovery despite just not drinking? cos that is not enough for long time sobriety, wouldn’t be for any alkie.

pick a few resources and stick with them. then a few more, then a few more. surround yourself with recovery and find out what you are drinking AT.

Resources for our recovery

also, read as much as you can on here. there is so much to soak up and learn from those who have been where you are.

best of luck!

13 Likes

You have to get one thing straight in your head. If you’ve ever had a problem with alcohol, you are never going to be able to moderate. There’s no getting away from that fact, it’s just a fact. It won’t take you long to get back to drinking the way you used to.

You need the sober toolbox, and a desire for a sober life. You have to want a sober life, or you’ll just be a dry drunk feeling like you’re missing out on something.

Whatever you do, don’t delete the app again. In your early days of sobriety you really need others around you to support you. People that have walked your road, been in your shoes are right here.

Get some rest of you can, sleep off the drink and start afresh. We are here for you :people_hugging:

16 Likes

It’s done. You relapsed. That’s your road sign. Those yield signs on the road, those were your friends reaching out. You threw up, not only based on the quantity, but the quality. Your body doesn’t need THAT bad juice. That’s why we throw up. It’s our body rejecting the toxin

10 Likes

That question gets asked a lot. I asked it a lot too.

You can stop for today. Keep your focus on not drinking today. Just these 24 hours. Go to sleep early if you can. Then tomorrow focus on tomorrow. But no need to worry about that now. Focus on right now. :people_hugging:

10 Likes

Part of my experience having Relapsed really recently has really bedn realizing that self forgiveness is a major part of moving forward.

In life we always make mistakes however the important thing is that you are acknowledging the mistake that you have made (being aware not in denial) because that is the knowledge to help you move forward. In life each challenge, each mistake, or bad choice is truly meant to teach us something so we can evolve. I just know the universe has my back will support me so matter what even if I fall. Just get back up, dust yourself off, and begin again. You can do it. I believe in you

8 Likes

This sounds too familiar. Part of my problem was, when I reached out for help 8 years ago, not really listening to those who’ve been through this. I heard what they were saying, but didn’t let it sink in. Also not listening to the inner voice that knew I agreed with them.

As you just did, I had to find out the hard way that I can never drink again. Not even once. It was a big lesson learned for sure. Be strong and don’t let it progress again like I did to the point where it does a severe amount of damage.

Maybe take a step back and consider this. Which do you value more, your life or the drink? You can only choose one. That’s been kind of putting things in perspective for me. This stuff is a liar and a killer.

6 Likes

I think you’ll find an overwhelming amount of people here have struggled with the moderation debacle. I certainly went through it several times even after being sober for 7 months to a year multiple times. To reaffirm what others have said, sobriety is something you really have to want and then take it one day at a time. That’s really hard to handle early on because your mind just wants to get a bunch of days under your belt but if you live one day at a time the days start mounting up quickly! My sober date this time is January 4th. Some days I see my counter and can’t believe how fast it’s gone thus far. I don’t look at my counter a lot I just focus on today.

It’s really critical to figure out what triggers your drinking and admit and address it head on. For me it was several things: stress, I always went to drink when I felt overwhelmed under the guise of just relaxing, pressure, even though no one goaded me to drink I learned people expected me to be the life of the party because I was a fun drunk, and straight up addiction, once I had one drink I would not stop until I had drank enough to pass out. I also started realizing drinking was changing me, when I would drink I started having thoughts that weren’t real. I started hearing in my head things like “your wife doesn’t love you because she’s not super affectionate right now, your kids don’t care for you because you’re not their real dad,” so I started behaving passive aggressively towards them and they were confused and hurt. In sobriety I realize none of that was in fact true and my wife and kids are so much happier with me sober because I’m free to love them and be the man they deserve. I wake up everyday and choose them and the rest of the good in my life over a drink that offered me nothing and threatened to take all that away from me. You need to find these things in your life that mean more than alcohol, and everyone here is here to support you in your journey!

9 Likes

This brings to mind an old T.V. commercial for potato chips, where the slogan was: " No one can eat JUST ONE". Folks like us can’t have JUST ONE drink.

5 Likes

Oh, how many times have I deleted this app myself!?!? Too many. I regret that so bad. But it is what it is.

What REALLY matters is that you are back!! Congratulations on making that decision

YOU CAN DO IT!

7 Likes

I am really glad you’re back @Roxy6 . There’s so much good to glean in response to you.

I asked myself that about my weed/opiate addiction a lot over the course of 54 years of using. But I did. I think you should first forgive yourself. For me that was an extremely important first step. Then,slow down. I read everyone’s response here. Take your time and absorb this good advice from a community that truly looks out. I have learned so much from my alchoholic friends on TS. I certainly abused alchohol too at different times in my life. I’ve learned that addiction is how I rolled not just with substances but in relationships in weight training and more. I actually didn’t know I could stop smoking weed or stop eating and snorting pills and heroin for the past 20 years especially. But,I went to rehab and things have changed in a very positive way. I work it,no doubt. TS is one spoke of my sobriety wheel. Wishing you all the best. Take it slow. ODAAT.

3 Likes

Hey Roxy @Roxy6, Where you at? :heart:

4 Likes

Here. Drank on Saturday. Didn’t get drunk but still disappointed in myself. Reset my clock sunday morning

4 Likes

Hey Roxy, I’m glad to see you back :slightly_smiling_face:

So, what happened? what made you drink? Its important that you know and acknowledge the answers to this. It’s the only way you can prepare yourself in advance when threatened with another relapse.

Roxy, make yourself accountable. You want to give up alcohol, so apply the tools and methods we have talked to you about. Check in with us when temptation looms over you, give us a chance to help you get past that threat. Attend a meeting. Do anything that isn’t giving in to alcohol.

You’ve reset your sober clock, but are you ready to give up? We are here for you, and are on your side :heart:

3 Likes

Well done for coming back! Keep sticking to it, keep trying. You can do this!x

2 Likes

Definitely not ready to give up. It was my husbands birthday. We went out. It was a big group of 12 of us and i let temptation take over. It was stupid. But i am definitely trying now. I’m fine when I’m home. I have no desire whatsoever to drink. Its when I’m in a big social setting that I’m tempted.

4 Likes

Thank you :pray:t2:

Okay, so you know where your weak point is.

You’re going to need to avoid social situations until you are strong enough to handle being in the same place as drinkers. If you’re really ready to do this, you have got to commit to it. Otherwise you will be on and off here every single time the others say they are going out. There is no law against you staying back, you are attending these things by choice. You’re choosing to put your sobriety in jeopardy every time you give in to going to nights out, barbeques, etc. Etc. There is always going to be a reason Roxy.

Before you go out next time, do one thing for yourself. Read your journal, and read your posts here. if you still want to go out and drink after doing that, then you’re not as ready to quit as you think you are.

4 Likes