Im new. Recovering addict . Keep falling

I was sober for 3 months. 6/7/22 sober date. Well like they say. You’ve gotta change your people, places, and things. Makes it harder to stay sober. That’s what happened with me… I went to my best friends. And I almost instantly relapsed. It’s like I immediately went back like nothing happened. Everything I’ve learned everything I put forth effort I fucked up. I’m super lost. There’s so much on my plate right now and my meds. Haven’t been right for a lil bit because the Dr. Wanted to take out something and lessen my dosage. I need to get a good sponsor but I’ve had shitty luck

15 Likes

So and are you changing ppl, places and things now then?

I’ve found that: The only thing that changes in sobriety is everything. That means that you will have to put in the work to change everything and accept this change as well.

What is your game plan for this time around?

Here are some resources to consult:
Resources for our recovery

For accountability: Checking in daily to maintain focus #54

Check this series out by one of our long timers.
To the relapser: vol. 9

Good luck! See you around I hope!

8 Likes

Welcome back! May I suggest getting active here as well. It will help you…and its free!

6 Likes

Relapses in recovery happens and it’s important to not give up. In my case it was very important to change places and people, even if it meant to end long friendship. But I knew it’s for better - my ex best friend is drug addict and I was very close to as well become a drug addict. Places, where all my traumas came, reminded me of these traumas, so on new places I feel better.
But when it comes to hard episodes of my life, it’s really hard to be sober. But I do not give up.
And I believe you can do it! Sending hugs and love.

7 Likes

Thank you so much!! I’ll take anything I can…trying to be a “sponge” and soak up anything and all I can to help me. I’ve learned quickly to take suggestions. And listen to them. Lol

1 Like

Yeah I literally was just thinking that. Just get on here. It’ll help someways probably more than I realize

2 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate it. More than you think ! :blush: I dont have many ppl I can talk to.

1 Like

You’re welcome. :heart:
And understandable, I as well don’t have so much people to talk to. So anytime you can just write me, if you wish to!

How ya doing today?

1 Like

After i relaped i decided to ask God to help keep me sober and i threw myself into reco ery. I went to meetings all the time sometimes 3 a day if i could. I started to learn what i wanted and what i didnt want. I hung out in book studies alot. Hung out with old timers asked alot of questions and learned the 12 steps. It took 12 steps to get me out of the hole and 12 steps to keep me out of the hole. It took some time and i just hung on for dear life but eventually the obsession went away. Always told on myself if i wanted to pick up any thing…And like you said i had to change my friends and play grounds. Just jump in with both feet. Its the best decision i ever made for myself. Im sober 24 yrs now and im still amazed

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Renee —
24 years!!! Thats impressive- thank you so much for sharing whats helped you in your recovery journey.

I definitely agree with changing people and places around you. Have you Hurd of that saying “you’re who you hangout with”? Try to surround yourself with people to esteem to be like. Positive maybe? And most definitely sober!
Get yourself out with friends that want to do sober activities.
You got this! Best thing is… you get to try again. :pray:t2:

That’s great that you are still trying.

Don’t beat yourself up too much. Find some grace in your mistakes and this will teach humbleness and humility…take at you learned and try to apply in the future…it’s intimidating when people with 20+ years sober seemingly have all the answers and to me, seem almost like saints…we are all in this together but you are responsible for your own actions and behaviors…breath and notice your breath when it gets thick

1 Like