Introduce Yourself

Every day getting stronger and better. Keeping my mind busy with loads of reading and my body healthy at the gym. Have also started eating healthy as I find junk food keeps my cravings there. But one day at a time. Every day feel more and more human.

1 Like

Im very happy to hear that :slight_smile: U are doing it the good way , the right direction u being good to yourself thats really awesome im happy for you :slight_smile: keep it up :muscle::muscle::muscle:

1 Like

Thank you. Appreciate the kind words.

U are so welcome , i do really mean that. im paying it forward as the program do for me. And thank u for helping me as well by sharing is helping without a doubt . Im wishing u a great day im off to meeting :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Thereā€™s an 18 year old that is a regular at my AA meetings, so donā€™t feel silly about being 21. Addiction does not discriminate! Just be glad you are catching it now when you have a full life of opportunities ahead of you. In hindsight I was an addict at 21 but I really just thought it was"typical" behavior for that age. I could have been arrested, injured, killed so many times itā€™s ridiculous now that I look back. Welcome and I wish you the best on your journey!

2 Likes

What up sober peeps!? Im Matt, a 29 year old opiate addict for 10 or so years. Like most, started with prescription pain meds. Well those eventually led me to the harder stuff. Never thought Iā€™d be that guy. Between my labor intensive job I kept using to numb the pain. I thought at the time with using Iā€™d work faster, longer, and make more income. I may have but the every day grind of seeking out more became too much. Now my body is beat up from numbing all this time. Iā€™m currently living in a sober living house as of 8 months ago. They extended a hand and gave me a chance. Iā€™m very greatfull for the people in my life and this forum especially. So thanks to all yous guys for sharing experiences. One day At a time

2 Likes

So, I am back again. Alcohol and cocaine are my demons. I never do cocaine without alcohol. So guess that the alcohol is what I need to work on. Every weekend I drink till Iā€™m blackout drunk, make a twat of myself and become the most selfish person. Then comes the cocaine. Stay awake till stupid o clock in the morning, sometimes days. Then Iā€™m good for nothing the following day. Constantly letting down my 2 children. Itā€™s normal for them to see me hungover. How sad is that. It breaks my heart. I try over and over to stay sober. Donā€™t normally get past 2 weeks. It affects me mentally and physically. Iā€™ve thought about suicide several times. My Dad passed away 6 years ago because of alcohol. I was sexually abused as a child by alcoholic step dad. I have to make this work. Before my children grow up and time runs out.

2 Likes

Hello,
Iā€™m Ty 27 Years old, I have an addiction issue that seems to always find a way to show itā€™s ugly head.
Primarily alchohol.
This is my first time doing day 1

4 Likes

Hey , I can relate. Iā€™m not well enough equipped to give any advice myself yet.

I just wanted to ask if you knew about the 12 step programme.

I myself am not a religious person and therefore found the Russell brand book ā€˜recoveryā€™ which is just the 12 steps without the preachy God stuff very useful.
I hope you feel better soon.

Hello,we are on same page.to get through day without drinking is no issue at all.but its evening almost and thats my timeā€¦keep strong and lets win day 1.

1 Like

Hi everyone my name is Jane and Iā€™m 44 recently divorced (not my choice) Ironically I used to never take any opiate based drug for pain as they would make me feel woosy and I didnā€™t like the feeling. Fast forward 5 years and I injure my back and Iā€™m put on tramadol, codeine 30mg and dihydrocodeine 30mg. At first wow they really helped with the pain and it was all fun and games until I realised I was taking them on the days I didnā€™t have pain or finding a pain somewhere to use as an excuse. I grew up in the UK in the 80ā€™s where we had this scare you Ā£&#+less as campaign about heroin that made you never even want to look at the stuff. Little did I realise my drug of choice was in the same family.

Fast forward 6 years and Iā€™m taking them for emotional pain in a difficult marriage. Now Iā€™m divorced I feel like a weight lifted (even though itā€™s been the hardest 12 months of my life after 16 years married) I now want to get clean for me and my son, instead of the recommended dose of 60mg 4x a day, I was taking 4x that or more. My GP keeps handing them out like sweets as many repeat prescriptions as I need, but as long as itā€™s lining the pockets of big pharmaceutical he doesnt care. So here I am, day 3 and Iā€™m tapering off and so far all ok.

4 Likes

I have always found that the things I hide are the thibgs I need to work on the most. I once told my therapist that and now she asks me point blank- what are you hiding? What are you too ashamed about to talk to me about? What can you not bring yourself to say out loud?

Whatā€™s the worse that can happen if you talk about it? You might as well try since hiding it hasnā€™t seemed to work

1 Like

Hi @NewMe84 . I can totally relate. It always starts with alcohol for me. Then after a few rounds I had to make sure i get my bag of coke - use to call it my reset button. Then i would keep drinking sometimes for 3 days without sleeping, without eatingā€¦ just coke and booze. Crazy! This started affecting my job, my family. It would take me 2 days i bed to recover and be fully functional. So i was basically intoxicated 3 days a week then recovering for 2 daysā€¦ there goes my week ; sucha waste of my life, so selfdestructive.

I realized - thank god before losing everything - thay I needed help and thatā€™s when i walked in my 1st AA meeting. There i found the support to help keep sober. Walking the 12steps has been life changing for me. I would suggest giving it a tryā€¦

Thereā€™s also this forum that i think is a great tool; accessible to us all to help maintain focus, share our stories and find support. Checking dailyā€¦ we will be glad to have you join us in this journey. Welcome!

3 Likes

So I started drinking at a work function. My first drink was a tequilla and i threw up all over myself. After that i would drink and smoke with the receptionist at work. My supervisor would say stop smoking and i would lie and say i dont. I didnt realise how strong the smell was. I started to crave the tipsy sensation and smoking more and more. I went into relationships with people with whom i could feed my desire with the facade of its the other person who somehow enables me. I started living on my own and it got worse. I would buy bottles (often several times through the night) and packets of cigarettes. I would lie to shops and say its for my bf even tho i had no reason to. I was of legal age to buy. I didnt want to accept i was doing something i was ashamed of. I would hide away in my apartment and get very drunk. Sometimes id throw up and then continue. Sometimes id wake up and have a sip of wine, or just start drinking for the day, continuing into the night until i fell asleep. I lost my family during the time as i didnt want to live with them. I liked my space (they didnt know about my drinking or smoking). The people i dated were terribly bad influence but id stay in those relationships feeling sorry for myself and in some way in my head punishing my dad for treating mum badly. Anyway, several drunken smoking nights.

It wained off over the last yr, i got quite sick. I had a major scare as was sent to cancer clinic for some tests. I avoided drinking or smoking but sometimes temptation took over. I have not been like i was couole years ago for several months.

Yesterday the temptation struck. I went and bohght pkt of cigarettes (hadnt in atleast 6 months or so), drank 2.5 bottles of wine. I couldnt get through even half a cigarette. I tried three then stopped.

I dont want to drink alone and i want to quit smoking completely. Thatā€™s my goal.

1 Like

So, I am on day 25 and I am really proud of myself. I initially decided to give up alcohol up for the Lent season but I am thinking, why would I start again after April 1st???

I havenā€™t had withdrawals or any nagging cravings? Is this normal? I used to drink about 5 days a week and for more than 20 years but I am tired of how it I feel the next day, the lack of control and how much it is in my everyday life.

I love how I have gained the control back, this is the longest I have ever quit drinking, the most has been 10 days. Life is different for sure and I feel like I am trying to relearn how to do things again without alcohol. I realized I had never been intimate with my partner(4 years) without alcohol, so this is taking some adjusting.
I question myself am I fun anymore? Ive always been the life of the party and hosted most pre parties or sporting events at my house, cooking and providing the Alcohol. Some friends still come over and they know I am giving up booze for lent and are supportive but I question will I be strong after April 1st.

I have always had good will power but I am afraid what will happen after the lent season is over as that was the purpose. How do I motivate myself to just keep going? I know the benefits of giving up the drink, alcoholism runs in my family and I need to repair my liver. I also know that if I have one drink on easter to end the fast, I will continue to drink.
I want to continue to being sober, I need another goal set, I am a goal orientated person so does anyone have any advice.
I want this sober life, its like a new me and Ive lost so many years that have been induced with alcohol and I want it back or want the next 20 years to be clear.

I signed up on this a while back and I guess I just didnā€™t take this seriously and I am ready to make that commitment. I have read so many great stories but I am worried that this " Rock Bottom" has not hit me or maybe it has and I just havenā€™t realized it. I will log on daily for inspiration from all of you with your amazing stories, I am in awe and so proud of you all.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Lavina

2 Likes

Iā€™m a heroin addict! :frowning:

Hi all! Iā€™m Emily. Iā€™m 24 years old and originally from New Jersey but have since moved to Flagstaff, Arizona. It never occurred to me that I was an alcoholic until my boyfriend broke up with me because I stole alcohol from his parents liquor cabinet. That was almost a year ago and now my life has taken a different turn.
I started going to meetings in December after I had a relapse. And while itā€™s definitely been up and down, itā€™s great to know that with this forum and the people Iā€™ve met, Iā€™m not alone.
I never saw a problem with my drinking because I had nothing to really base it off of. My sister, brother, ex boyfriend and some friends of mine all drink to excess. So why couldnā€™t I? It was only until I met my current boyfriend that I started to see a problem. And honestly Iā€™m so happy I met him. He showed me a different way. A clean healthy lifestyle. He had problems with drinking and cocaine but quit and never went back. I want to be like that. I feel like this could be my chance at something great. I want to go back to school and get my degree. Maybe not in classical opera like my original plan but psychology would be fun!
Also I feel like I actually have hope for the first time in my life. Iā€™m capable of doing something right. Its a great feeling and its because of everyone Iā€™ve met and communicated with. Thanks everyone.
Sorry that became than I expected!! :smile:

8 Likes

Iā€™m Wes. 34 y/o. Canā€™t stop drinking and itā€™s killing my health. I feel terrible everyday. Not sure what to do. Drinking just to make myself feel better. I get to the point where Iā€™m ok but then go overboard and itā€™s a big repeating process everyday.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not really sure where to start. Iā€™ve never really been a social talker, but Iā€™ve got questions at this point. My name is Nick and Iā€™m 23. Iā€™ve been drinking noticeable amounts of liquor daily for a while now, probably a couple years. Iā€™ve gotten used to going home and pouring a drink. Normally itā€™s just a straight rum in a glass to sip on. Sometimes I feel like Iā€™m not addicted and I could just stop, but I donā€™t. Which is why Iā€™m here. The bottle seems to be running out faster every time I buy it. I donā€™t get hungover. I donā€™t drink until I pass out. I donā€™t believe I get aggressive. I believe the term would be ā€œfunctioning alcoholicā€. I just drink about 2-3 glasses every day after work. Iā€™ve quit at times like this when I notice Iā€™m going through a large amount in a short time just to cut myself back, though it a struggle. I normally will stop for a month or so and figure I can handle it again because my tolerance is back down. However, every time Iā€™ve gone back it just ends up going back to 2-3 every day. This time seems harder to say no. I see there is a pattern, I just havenā€™t figured out what to do at this point. Should I just stop? I think Iā€™m addicted, but I see people that are struggling way more than I am. Iā€™ve read itā€™s bad to compare because everyone is different. Iā€™m just kinda confused on what the next step should be. I downloaded the app a few days ago and I love the motivation of seeing how long since my last drink. I was 3 hours short of 48 hours and my head decided ā€œitā€™s not that bad. You donā€™t drink that much. 1 drink is okayā€. Iā€™ve heard ā€œnever have the first drinkā€, but I did. I had to reset my time and at this point Iā€™m just curious to know what people think of my situation. This post alone is a big step for me. Please donā€™t recommend AA or talking to a therapist. Iā€™m not comfortable enough for that yet, though Iā€™ve only heard good things about AA. I just need some slight guidance and motivation at this point. I want to quit because in the end I know everything will be better.

3 Likes

I could have written that exact post a year ago. But in the last year, itā€™s gone from 2-3 a night to 4-6 a night, and way more on weekends. I should emphasize that I donā€™t black out or pass out, and I donā€™t get hangovers, and I havenā€™t gotten a DUI, or lost my job, or gotten aggressive, or distant, or hurt my relationships. What spurred me to go through recovery is my liver. Drinking everyday, even 2-3, is really hard on your liver. I went to a recovery place when I found out my liver enzymes were elevated (indicating liver damage), and they diagnosed me with severe alcoholism. I was shocked, because I donā€™t think of myself as a ā€œsevereā€ alcoholic. I am a very high functioning alcoholic. I have a BS, an MS, and a PhD. I teach college biology. I have many publications, and have won fellowships. And I drank daily through all of it. When I found out about my liver 6 months ago, I cut went to a recovery center, and have been seeing a counselor once a week since September. I cut back on drinking (one each weeknight, 2 each weekend night, never before 5:00). Those were my goals. I didnā€™t always stick to them. I went some days without drinking (but could never go more than two days in a row), but some days I drank 8-10. Again, never blacking out or passing out, never missing work, never drunk at work, and never driving.

Last week, we found out that a little girl we care about very much is becoming adoptable. We are licensed adoptive and foster parents, although we donā€™t have any placements or kids right now. She wouldnā€™t be adoptable for many months, but we want to throw our hats in the ring. I realized that, for her sake, it would be best if I have been sober for months by the time she would come to our home. So thatā€™s my current strongest motivation, which spurred me to quit drinking all together. This is my 6th day not drinking. I havenā€™t gone six days without drinking for decades, which says something in itself. It actually hasnā€™t been too bad so far.

I think what Iā€™m saying to you, Nick, is that if youā€™re drinking daily, and have a hard time not drinking, you might start really considering whether you have a problem, that needs to be solved before things get worse. I am so grateful that Iā€™m getting help before really having anything horrible happen. I know you said not to suggest AA or a therapist, but Iā€™m just telling you that your story sounds like mine a year ago, and I think itā€™s really helped me to get help. I donā€™t know that my advice holds the most weight, given that this is only my sixth day sober, but if it scares you or makes you uncomfortable, or sad to think of going a week without drinking, you may have an issue to address. You have to be ready though.

5 Likes