Is anyone on here currently/or have been previously prescribed Naltrexone?

So I’ve been prescribed Naltrexone. I started taking it around Christmas time last year in rehab. Doc told me it would help me fight cravings and it blocks certain receptors in the brain that “feel” pleasure from alcohol and narcotics. When those receptors are blocked, you feel less need to continue drinking more easily. Us, alcoholics we know that we have a physical allergy in the body and obsession of the mind. Has anyone else been on this? If so, how would you rate this? Has it helped you? I think it’s a game changer for me, I’ve been battling with alcoholism and it wasn’t until I actually stay at rehab more than 3 days lol I found out about this

6 Likes

Never done it but here is a thread i saw not long ago in it.

1 Like

I drank and smoked crack on it, so didnt really do anything for me lol

1 Like

lol wow! :joy: man it really helps me. I literally have no desire to drink. They only thing is and why I posted this topics is because man I had maybe 2 hours of sleep yesterday, and my pattern had been messed up so I didn’t take my meds in about 3 days. When I went to lay down last night I had the most vivid dream and I was drinking heavily, got in trouble with the law, leading cops on a high speed chase. I woke up in sweats and heart racing. Since I’ve been on the medicine I haven’t had a single dream or thought of drinking. For me, it really does help.

2 Likes

I personally haven’t taken it but I have a close friend who was a chronic relapser and said it was a game changer for her.
Here’s a recent discussion.

I had it for a week or so before entering rehab and while I still drank it certainly noticed the buzz was gone as your doctor described.

As most things it’s not a permanent fix but there seems to be no harm in it as opposed to other medications that cause illness when having a drink.

Still got to put the work in after putting the substances down though :ok_hand:

1 Like

Oh most definitely understand it’s not just a cure all lol this was just something that was new to me. I wasn’t aware of the science behind it, and it was amazing to me because I am an alcoholic and I will never have 1 drink. I drink to get drunk, when I drink it’s sets off my physical allergy within the boys and I don’t stop until something bad happens. I don’t even try to drink on this, so I don’t know if the medicine works or not lol I just know I don’t have a want to drink or feel the need to.

1 Like

I was prescribed naltrexone and it made me so sick! So sick to the point where I couldn’t eat or drink anything and was vomiting. I wasn’t on it for too long for that reason. And it did its job in the end. I didn’t want to experience that sick feeling again and it traumatized me, LOL. I held on to what I had left in case I had to use them in a craving emergency.

Best feeling to have :wink: